The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

2. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

10 Seconds Shoe Disinfectant Deodorizer Freshener and Master sk-12 brand deodorant rental shoe spray (used by bowling alleys) contain Ortho-phenylphenol which is a microbiocide. The other active ingredients are Ethyl alchohol and Alkyl, which are the active ingredients in Lysol brand disinfectant spray. Lysol does not contain Ortho-phenylplhenol (which has some toxcicity) and will accomplish the same thing but is much cheaper.

3. MattR

MattR Senior member

Nothing major today.

Did grab an amazing Ike Behar tie in this golden wheat color. Feels like very soft wool, and I'm guessing it may even be a cashmere blend. Great counter-winter tie. I'll try and post a pic later.

4. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Speaking of used shoes, picked up at GW:

Allen Edmonds, Enfield loafer, Merlot color in 11C. I'm normally a 10C in AE shoes but these are not too wide, but I do have about a full thumb width at the toes. I'll break out the cleaning kit then repost. If they are too big, will list here. These still have the original heel and not much wear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

5. MattR

MattR Senior member

I've noticed that about AE, too. I'm usually a 10.5, but I need a 10 in AE.

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

:cheers:

+ 1, I was not impressed. I doubt it is worth a whole heap, but you never know on an eBay auction, some people would take a Bijan because it is a Bijan, brand over aesthetics.

I looked, almost put on watch list, then saw pants with a 28" inseam. Dealkiller, possible reason why many here are not jumping for it.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Hmmm..Its no wonder my feet have turned green...but at least they don't itch.[​IMG]

8. royskeen

royskeen Senior member

Pretty good find. I've seen a bunch of black label stuff, as well. Always pisses me off when it's made in china, though--much like the Rag and Bone blazer I got Monday. The quality, however, is still awesome!

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Made in China no longer should carry with it the weight of dissapointment. The country does not matter, it ultimately goes "to which standard is it manufactured". China is absolutely capable of manufacturing to any standard, be it Walmart/Target standard all the way to Tom Ford standard (I believe Tom Ford has some made in China suits, full canvased, all bells and whistles etc...). They also have silks and cashmeres that are comparable in quality to any European / American fabrics.

10. JChance

JChance Senior member

[​IMG]

Is there any interest in this Valentino Roma tweed SC (made-in-italy) in 44L-46L I consign a while back? Offers welcome. PM for measurements/more pics

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

11. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Anyone wear Alan McAfee shoes?
    [​IMG]
    I had never heard of them, but they looked well made, and it said "Made in England". The last time I grabbed shoes that met that description, they turned out to be Edward Greens. But these aren't my size, and they don't seem to be selling well on Ebay, so I returned them.

I was more excited about these:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Florsheim Imperials with a cleat heal and 5-nail sole. At first I thought they were just weird looking, as it seems to be un-dyed leather. But they fit, and they've really grown on me.

QUESTION: The cleat/nail pattern seems to be part of the charm, but the heels are pretty unevenly worn. Will it be a major hassle to repair these heels?

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

13. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Whilst I've picked up a number of pairs for less than $50 - I think they did end up being brought out by Church's and run into the ground, but before that they made nice shoes.

14. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Glad I have that posted in my profile. I am a 46 genarally depending on who makes it. I have lost weight, but it's in the spare tire area so Imb back closer to a 38 waist opposed to a 40.

There was a guy who who had a nice Oxxford Suit on B&S a few months back, but it had a couple small issues that were probably fixable, but I didn't want a suit that was going to turn into a money pit.

15. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

I searched here and google before asking, but is Barstow & Logsdail of London the same as Logsdail of London? Found a sweet vintage DB 42 suit in brown birdseye w/ surgeon's cuffs and lotsa pick stitching but no info to be found.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.