The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Senior member

The plain buttons are no indication, I'm afraid; it was very common for British dinner jackets of that era to have simple black horn buttons with a raised rim. I must admit, from my monitor, it looks as though the lapels are a different fabric from the rest of the jacket, and I would have said a grosgrain with a fairly pronounced horizontal rib - is that the case? If so it is definitely a dinner jacket. You should certainly try for the trousers, but in my experience dinner jackets are often, for some reason, separated from their trousers. I hope you find them. That said, black barathea of that era is easier to find a match for than many fabrics. As to Austin Reed, many British men's clothing retailers started off offering at least a bespoke or made-to-measure option, not excluding Burton's. Indeed, Austin Reed still offers one.

That's a handsome jacket. I think that you said the dinner jacket was made for the same person? If so it is interesting to note that they could afford to move their custom from Austin Reed in the 1940s to Savile Row in the 1960s! I haven't tracked down much information about Sandon & Co; they feature, I'm sure, in Richard Walker's Savile Row Story, but they aren't in the index and the only reference I have found is to them offering (along with Poole's to make cheap uniforms for troops in the Boer War, thus taking them back to at least 1900). However, I believe they were a well-respected firm, albeit long defunct or merged by 1988. I used to own a 1927 tailcoat made by them, which was very good. With the coat and the possible dinner jacket, you have some nice pieces - well done!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

2. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

You have made my day, sir!

3. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

This I did not know. Thanks for the education.

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Can someone tell me what the reach through pockets that let you get into your pants pockets through a coat are called? I'm trying to list a nice Harris Tweed overcoat I found and I can't remember what they're called, and google searches have been fruitless. Thanks!

5. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Senior member

You're very welcome; I can bore on for hours* about vintage clothing if given a prompt, so thank you for giving me the opportunity!

*oops - channelling my wife for a minute there

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Absolutely fascinating stuff!! Yeah, the donor definitely had no trouble with money. I looked him up and he was quite a successful guy. Anyhow, thanks a bunch for the info, it's really interesting stuff. I get such a kick out of the history of this kind of stuff.

7. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

10 C :/

8. rx330

rx330 Active Member

Stumbled upon this handsome devil a few days ago. I guess I should take up Yachting now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

Pass-through pockets?

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Thanks!

12. Towers

Towers Senior member

Is lining work like this typically hand done? I've noticed a few suits at the GW with this pick-stitching on the linings but I don't know it's easily fakeable or any reliable indicator of quality.

13. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

It's easily done not easily imitated. It does, however, take time and therefore is mainly featured on high quality garments with a price to match.

14. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

From Hart Schaffner Marx, their "Gold Trumpeter" line will include the gold pick stitching. This sport coat retails for $550. In the stores, there is also gold thread in the shoulder seams to differentiate the Gold Trumpeter line (they also produce full suits and separate trousers in Gold Trumpeter)

Gold Trumpeter Black Blazer
    [​IMG]

Gold Trumpeter - This model elevates the luxury of the Hart Schaffner Marx brand. World class piece goods are used exclusively in all Gold Trumpeter garments. Trim details such as wing facing in the coat and gold pick stitching are the hallmarks of the Gold Trumpeter garment.
    American Classic Fit - Traditional silhouette with hand set sleeves to provide a natural shoulder and a floating canvas chest piece to maintain structure
    • Single Breasted Jacket with Center Vent
    • Classic Two Button Silhouette with Notch Lapel
    • Besom Pockets
    • Mid-Weight Fabric - Perfect for Year-Round Use
    • 100% Wool
    • Made in USA
    • Dry Clean Only

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

15. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Interesting! That's definitely the same as that "Abla Fashions for Men" that I found! Would you mind posting a photo of the fabric tag? I'm curious if that one is also made by Caruso... and I imagine you wouldn't mind knowing either! ;)

BTW, some of the HSM GT *recent* stuff is very, very nice - I don't know about as good as Hickey Freeman (recent silver label), but they're close to it IMO.

Today produced two interesting things:

Karl Lagerfeld Paris DB suit, grey glenplaid, 40L - am I correct in thinking that's a Hickey Freeman maker tag? I have no idea what it'll go for, but it looked too cool to leave behind:

[​IMG]
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qOixibFIQdg/TxXyYkvescI/AAAAAAAABZQ/xwoI-S7GTZ0/s720/P1070155.JPG[/img
    [img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_OiS6NPn6GI/TxXyP56BbHI/AAAAAAAABZA/gjRaofzj76s/s720/P1070158.JPG

Also, this interesting patch-pocketed sport coat:

[​IMG]

Which opens up into...

[​IMG]

HOLY COW! My eyes hurt looking at that! The lining, sadly, is damaged along the back seam - I'm debating whether to sew it myself or have it repaired at a shop before selling it. Oddly enough, it's only tagged size L and made in India just like the shirts. Given how much the shirts are, I'd hate to see how much the sport coats are! Just a bit floored to find that, honestly, not because it's valuable but... people actually BUY these things originally? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.