The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Yes it is outerwear. If I had to describe it I would say its a medium weight jacket, probably used for the fall going into winter (Those 50 or so degree days). I wanted to make sure the arms were the appropriate length to cover any bulky items that I would wear with it, possibly a heavy sweater or some sort of lightweight sc.

Quote:
    The Corneliani was just a navy mid-weight cotton blazer and the Cuccinelli was also navy with a grey collar. The problem is these items wouldn't be for me because the Corneliani stuff was too small and the Cuccinelli stuff was to big. It would be for a potential flip and that is quite a bit of money for me to lay down at this point.

2. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

ooof — just noticed that the Zanella tag says R in the Drop category. That means it's just a sportcoat, right?

3. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

You should be careful about calling these jackets Loro Piana. The fabric is from the Loro Piana mill, but the maker of the jacket is not Loro Piana. Seems like that is just the kind of thing an eBay buyer would ding you for.

4. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thanks,

What does a Loro Piana made label look like? Is it similar? This is a Saks jacket, and I have it listed as such on ebay. The fabric is still the nicest camel hair I have come across.

6. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Your auction says "Loro Piana 100% Camel Hair Blazer Jacket 42R Beige 2 Button Tan Sports Coat EUC" and the brand is listed as "Loro Piana." That is a bit misleading. The labels that Loro Piana uses vary by what kind of garment, but if Loro Piana made it, the label will be on the neck and will look something like this:

[​IMG]

7. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

+1

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yes, I adjusted the listing after your first post. I appreciate the info, I didn't realize there was a difference until now. Thanks for clearing it up for me. I don't want to mislead any potential bidders, much less get burned for it. I always appreciate the expertise on SF.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  9. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

Found a Z zegna blazer/jacket for 40. Not really my size at 42 L but I couldn't resist cause I rarely thrift stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Senior member

2 1940s/1950s mechanical pencils and a pair of 1950s MoP cufflinks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One pencil (the upper of the two) is a working "The Conway 50" by British pen manufacturers Conway Stewart and the other is a Pen-Cil-Scope, which acts as a two-in-one pencil and ballpoint pen, although only the pencil half is currently working. I have seen a 1951 F.A.O. Schwarz toy catalogue in which a sterling silver example, boxed, retailed for $6. My total outlay = £5.

11. zhirzzh

zhirzzh Member

Found a pair of Salvatore Ferragamo monkstraps at my local consignment shop for $30. One of them had a quite noticeable scratch on the toe, but given that the last dress shoes I could afford were from Payless, it's still a noticeable step up.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Found a couple interesting items today.

- Mint recent Schneiders of Salzburg green Wool/Angora blend overcoat with leather trim/details. Nicest overcoat I've found. Wish it fit me. US 48. Tried it on and it seems to fit true to size. Full length - hits below the knee. Has some leather strap detail thing on the inside that I can't seem to figure out. Concealed button placket. Button adjustment on the cuffs. Available if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- A first for me; a Borrelli tie. Pink and silver. Also available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse the awful pics, using a cheap old camera today.

13. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Might want to head back to where you picked up the jacket and find the pants to go with it as your label is clearly indicating that is an orphan suit jacket.

14. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Only went to one thrift store today, I have a stinking cold with major coughing phlegm etc... it sucks being ill but I had to get out the house.

Anyway scored:
    2 pairs of brand new Hugo Boss wool pants. Usually I leave Boss on the shelf, but when its new and actually nice quality, I take. Size appears 50EU thereabouts.
    SZ 12 Good condition Allen Edmonds Tassle loafers in Tan color. I might get some use out of them unless someone wants to take them off me.

Goodness me, that overcoat is really quality looking. Know nothing about the maker, but if I lived in a cooler climate I would jump on it. I dont need this kind of gear out here in California though :(
    Tie = NICE.

15. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

If my wife didn't tell me I look terrible in pink, I'd snatch that tie right up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.