The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

These were 100% made by Florsheim. Have no doubt about that.
    Worthmore was a lower-priced line made by Florsheim but it will still be quality. I hope they are not musty.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

2. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I would love a pair in my size! Seriously, those are beautiful.

3. Soccerdave

Soccerdave New Member

I grew up in Asheville. J. Pressley was the best men's store I have seen. Chicago has nothing even close. The store was there fifty (50) years ago. Long gone I suppose.

4. MattR

MattR Senior member

Had an interesting day, if nothing else.

Saw some nice stuff here and there, but nothing spectacular to make me grab it. Some of the stuff I would have grabbed was stained/ripped, etc.

But at the one store, someone had donated literally a plastic tubs worth of ties. I riffled through, and nothing too great on the surface. But there was a bag of ties at the bottom, which caught my interest. Open it up to reveal a trad tie explosion. Outside of retail stores, I've never seen that many rep ties in one place, haha. Some really nice stuff, too. A lot of "made for" ties for WM Fox & Co, a DC high-end menswear store. Grabbed an RT (I know, I know) for them, a Blue/gold irish wool/silk tie for The Georgetown Shop, and a NWT BB Makers red/blue/white rep. Given my trad leanings at the moment, couldn't beat that with a stick.

The interesting part of my day occurred when trying to leave the parking lot of the one GW. It's in an area with a bunch of other stores and a grocery store, so it's always packed. As I come up to the end of a row to turn onto the main strip that leads to the road, I pause for a car that's coming up the strip and clearly has the right of way. No stop signs, mind you, just common driving knowledge. The older woman in that car stops at the intersection, looks at me, and clearly mouths "F*** you (indecipherable) too fast!" and then drives on. Uh....what?

5. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Find my thread on taking the plastic finish off of a similar pair of shoes if you really want to make those Florsheim look nice. It only takes 5-10 minutes and a little elbow grease.

6. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Maus & Hoffman is a a high end men and women's clothing store in Florida. They sell stuff like HF, Brioni, Oxxford, etc. I come across a lot of the stuff with the Maus and Hoffman label thrifting in my area of PA, usually Zanella in huge sizes, because a lot of the elderly here have Winter homes there. I have never seen any house stuff but I would have to imagine it is pretty good quality. If you are buying for yourself its most likely a nice pickup but it definitely has little to no "flippable" value.

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Quote:
    They do sell well. I just sold one for $30 and one for $40 on ebay, although they were both blue so imo a more flippable color.

8. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Vintage A&F jacket I found a couple days ago:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Sounds like she wanted those ties, but you are just too fast!

10. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

That vintage A&F is awesome. What size is it?

11. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

If you guys don't mind keeping an eye out for "BrooksFlannel" shirts in size small I'd be more than willing to make it worth your while. They've become my favorite shirts and they rarely show up on ebay. To be honest, I don't care what color/pattern they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks. There have really been some awesome finds recently.

12. MattR

MattR Senior member

Seconded as to "awesome." Also, seconded as to "size." That thing is gorgeous.

Well, the old broad can pound sand. :):EDITED for unnecessary bravado and demeaning some old lady I don't even know:: )

13. Jorgeezy

Jorgeezy Senior member

That is beautiful!

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

I went to the Savers 50% off sale today... Just found a few things

A 44L Harris Tweed with a nice color / pattern
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A BB oxford, white with navy stripes, 16-34 in good condition, but too big in the body and I'm not sure I want to spend the money to get it tailored in
    A HF french cuff shirt, 15.5 R (regular?), blue with orange and brown stripes... fits really well
    2 of these Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece polos, both size L, both a dark salmon color (available)
    [​IMG]

And a Gant red knit tie... I love knit ties
    [​IMG]

15. tben

tben Senior member

Since we were just on this a few days ago I thought it wouldn't hurt to post this as I just got it up and working. My modest contribution...

The turntable is Pioneer scored off of eBay, the receiver was new on a deep discount.
    [​IMG]

Speakers are from Goodwill. Two Sony 80w
    [​IMG]
    I already have a turntable hooked up to my surround sound but I wanted another setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.