1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

2. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

3. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Executive Imperial.

1 person likes this.
  4. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I've found both of these in thrifts this past year for around the same price. I've had people stop me on the hiking trail to ask about/compliment my Vasques. When they hear how much I paid, they can't muster a response. I'm actually not worried about using the shit out of them as the factory refinishing location is right down the street in Boulder and the full service is only $80 (1/4 of the price of the shoes as new).

5. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Dude.

You've mentioned several times how thrifting is causing you problems at school and in other areas of your life. Hobbies are nice, especially when they make a little bit of money. But school should be your priority. The benefits that you gain from thrifting are simply not worth the costs that seem to be imposing themselves on your life.

6. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

+1. Girlfriend was asking me to spend more time with her instead of thrifting and when I told her I was thrifting so I could get money to spend on her, she said she rather have me.

7. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Give her the necklace.

You can also suggest a threesome with her best friend....I've tried this but my wife never seems excited about it ????

8. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Bend, the home of Red Sox hall of famer Bobby Doerr, right? You could have a threesome in Bend with Bobby Doerr!

Speaking of kinky, it occurs to me that I should start a list of eBay sellers who are thrifters we know or SF'ers like Brianpore, Mainy, Spoo, Nataku. I've been favoriting -- and bidding with -- all the people I know here, for several reasons:

1. I want to support this community and keep you guys out on the road finding killer stuff
    2. you generally don't lie about or miss damage (you just leave it on the rack)
    3. you measure clothes. Correctly. And put it in the description where I can see it.
    4. I have been getting so picky at thrift stores (I have enough Polo and BB in my closet now, I don't need more -- what I need is upgrades from that stuff) that the thrill of the chase is no longer thrilling.
    5. Let's say I don't win something. I still am helping you guys by driving someone else's winning bid higher. I just can't lose!

Anyway, I will start a Google Doc and link to it in my sig. Any eBay seller here who wants on the list PM me with your eBay seller name in the subject. Please don't "out" anyone else; let the sellers themselves choose to contact me. That way they get to continue to operate in anonymity if they so choose.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

When my wife says these things, I take her to the thrift store.

1 person likes this.
  10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Awesome find! You can thrift for hours without breaks with those things.

11. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Reminder -- it's half price coat time out there in thriftland. Take advantage for next fall!

I finally bought the Alpacuna coat. It's a reefer (HEY we're done with the pot jokes now). I had one like this earlier this year in my size and I got rid of it because it felt like I was wearing a theater curtain draped over me. This one fits a lot closer and definitely won't accommodate a suit coat under it, but looks better on me. It contains no vicuna, but it is a crisp, tight wool herringbone (the other one, some English maker, seemed stretchier).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. steveoly

steveoly Senior member

F'ing awesome jacket. :slayer::slayer:
    And now back to moar lurking.

13. eazye

eazye Senior member

I've found both of these in thrifts this past year for around the same price.  I've had people stop me on the hiking trail to ask about/compliment my Vasques.  When they hear how much I paid, they can't muster a response.  I'm actually not worried about using the shit out of them as the factory refinishing location is right down the street in Boulder and the full service is only $80 (1/4 of the price of the shoes as new).
    [/quote

Can you send them to the company through the mail to get refurbished, like the North Face?

That is sick! I found a Vicuna coat back in my early days of thrifting, before reading this thread, I'm still kicking myself for that.
    +1000, I'd give my left nut for that jacket.

14. eazye

eazye Senior member

Damn, my, posts are still being moderated, I was hoping to bust out my epic haul from this weekend before Darkmatter comes to his senses and quits school to become a full time thrifter.

15. eazye

eazye Senior member

Thanks, I've found some cool stuff since I started hitting it hard back in August. I just wanted to read this whole thread before I made an ass out of my self and posted a 80's ysl shirt or something, know what I mean?

I'm a 7 3/8 and find hats pretty often, what type/ brand were you looking for? I can keep an eye out.

16. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

:fu:

Oh well, at least you won't be draining my paypal account selling me hats!

I should brag something so I don't just contribute to the chit chat:

Following one of the thrifters commandments, I "did not leave Shell Cordovan on the shelf" yesterday. No pics yet, but pretty nice condition AE Grayson tassle loafers in 11.5 E.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  17. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

I take my wife to the thrift store, but she keeps finding her way back home. :rimshot:

18. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

And so it is, but how the heck would you know that?

19. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Dang. Are they for you?

20. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

If you have to ask that, you've obviously not dealt with too many Red Sox fans. They're an obsessive bunch. I spent four years outside Boston, and it impressed me, even though I was coming from NC, where ACC basketball was religion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.