The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Well that's disappointing. I assume I'm correct in thinking that the US branded HF G&H isn't considered as good as the SR made stuff, right?

2. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I've never not had anything interesting to say in response to you, but I'll bite on the Lacoste. I've always had a soft spot for the little gator and I have a few cool things from Izod/Lacoste.

I really responded to say that your avatar is awesome...I just finished watching Season 3 episode 4. I'm going to go ahead and say Misfits is the best show on TV right now.

Nice. I'm curious how the Zegna fits. I've yet to buy or find one bearing any relation to what's printed on the tag.

Also, I copped a 'Lacoste-inspired' shirt this week. Had to. It's still pretty cool... [​IMG]

3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Also, I passed on several Norman Hilton suits (some for Today's Man????) - some quite nice - because they had massively wide lapels. The lapels were really weird...massively wide at the tips, but dramatically tapered and thin at the bottom. Right to pass?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Ha! Yeah, I agree. I've been campaigning this for months...but no one's ever heard of it. I don't even think the DVDs are sold here; do I detect a fellow downloader?

Regarding the fake Lacoste, I must have been referring to an 80s-tastic pink polo I found awhile back. Sadly, it is no longer with us. The fit was spot-on, but the thing ripped apart after a few wears. Ah, France Korea. That was in April, though. You must be catching up on the archives. :laugh:

5. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

So... It looks like my first few thrift runs will result in a net loss. Can someone link me to an article or list of what really IS worth something? Meanwhile, I'll be reading through this thread.

BTW, everything I have posted except the RLPL and Corneliani are still for sale:

Ties: Givenchy, Fendi
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/282787/givenchy-fendi-dellacroce-ties

Coats: Canali, Lanvin
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/282784/olive-canali-double-breasted-coat-c44-w41-sh19-sl26
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/282786/blue-lanvin-coat-c45-w43-sh18-l31-sl26

Shirts: Comme Des Garcons, Armani, Zegna, Two Flowers, Matteo di Rota, Sorrani, Burberry, Lanvin by Hathaway (hah), Gitman for Saks
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/282392/...homas-pink-matteo-di-rota-sorrani-two-flowers
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/282430/comme-de-garcons-and-gitman-shirts

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Agreed - nothing wrong with a bit of common courtesy. Your offer was also very decent, well within the 25% off asking price.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Sadly, you do have quite a few "flops". We all start somewhere, though. I used to buy every "European" label that I didn't know, including Marks & Spencer :laugh:

I learned quick and made a lot of (re)donations. You did well with the Comme des Garcons shirt though as well as the RLPL. Keep reading up on labels both on here and in the SW&D section.

8. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

I know. I've learned a lot and have had a bit of fun. I'd just like to break even so that I can continue. What is the SW&D section?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

9. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

My guess is someone wanted that suit for something specific. It is pretty cool looking. Plus that seller has a huge amount of feedback. They're dealing in volume.

10. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

G&H quality spans a very wide range - most of their current RTW stock is fused and made in Mauritius - the fit is generally quite good (tailored)but beyond that has nothing to commend it for the prices they ask. They have entered into a wide number of agreements with different manufacturers over the years including Saint Andrews. At the top of the tree is the full bespoke, but that is very rare to find and actually may not sell all that well.

So you didn't do too badly - the G&H label will bring in some money, and HF-made may bring in a little more as it demonstrates it's of reasonable quality. Just don't make the mistake of thinking everything with their label in is a Savile Row garment.

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

As if. :paranoia:

SWMBO sits at the other end of the sofa in full view of this laptop's screen. Anticipating that she would demand pics from the camera chip from time to time, I fessed up from the get go and then deleted them.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

12. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

I've also noticed fairly recent Belvest made G&H suits, in addition to what Simon says above.

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I think I forgot to share this Southwick tweed I found last week. Great pattern, Missing one button, but think I may have a donor in the closet somewhere.

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

It's just solid advice to save new thrifters from buying a huge pile of stuff and more importantly wasting money and time.

15. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

It was this one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Don...194490?pt=US_CSA_MC_Suits&hash=item27c1dcc0ba
    I had been watching it when it was still pretty low, but decided that I just wasn't in love with something about it and that it would probably get too rich for my blood. After it closed it came up on the "Cool Shoes ..." thread, and there was some skepticism about one of the zero ratings bidders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.