1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

What kind of a set up do you have for taking photos? Looks clean and well lit.

2. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

He doesn't list his own items. Hrmmdock or whatever his name is does.

3. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I honestly don't remember when I first started reading this thread, probably when I noticed how many pages it had :laugh:

I wasn't too interested until I saw Nataku posting some shirts I liked. I messaged him and we planned to meet up while I was in town. I stopped by a thrift store, and found a pair of like new incotex in a size 36. I tried them on but they didn't work. Fortunately, they fit Nataku, so we ended up trading :laugh:

After that, I make sure to hit at least two stores when in town, but I prefer meeting up with Nataku when possible, the guy is a wealth of knowledge and a good igent as well.

I'm listening...

4. eazye

eazye Senior member

Man that's a lot of shoes, eazye! Those Florsheim plain toe bluchers that you list as patent leather look like shell to me.[/quot

That's what I thought as well, but they almost feel like plastic, not like any other shell's I've delt with, although I'm no expert.

5. eazye

eazye Senior member

Ha!

6. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

It's all an illusion. My basement is neither clean nor well lit.

7. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

i'm like 99% sure they're shell.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  8. mainy

mainy Senior member

if it feels plasticky it could definitely be corfam artificial leather

9. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Corfam in good condition can be deceptive - I have almost been fooled on many occasions. Sometimes a reveal can be made by pinching the tongue (inconspicuous area) so that the exterior material bubbles on the inside of the "v" formed by the pinch - can't really describe the phenomenon, except to say that corfam forms a revealing bubble - try it.

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:D

Still have those Incotex too. Probably my favorite pair of casual navy trousers. :slayer:

11. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Hey there's another thrifter thread like ours here.

I'm sure there are others, but I just ran into this one Googling something else, so it's new to me.

Disclaimer for the diehard loyalists: We of SF are the thrifting gods, no one can ever touch us, it's the best ever, yada yada...but there do appear to be some posters with some game over there. Others, not so much. Some YSL and Dior Monsieur people hang out over there, too. However, you gents who talk about your eBay auctions and look for people like me saying "I need a damn blue blazer" might want to bookmark that one, too!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I've visited there a few times...I think it is Grendel's side project or something.

13. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Oh, I'd been wanting to mention this tip of the day: We keep every plastic bag from target, grocery store, etc. I guess we just don't want to fill up our town's landfill as fast as possible. When I get a hundred or so I take them to a thrift store I frequent that has a sign on the door always, "We need bags."

I had my bag of bags in the car the other day, and I was at a different thrift store and wanted the mother out of my back seat. The kids don't like sharing their space (Corolla, not a lot of space to go around, ha!) So I took it into that one.

"You take bags?" I asked.
    "Hells to the yeah," the owner said. "You just saved me ten bucks!"

Even if you're not an enviro-dork, this is a free way to ingratiate yourself to the thrift store owners...whom you like to have tell you right before the good s#1t comes out. Know what I'm sayin'?

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Maybe you could work out a bartering system with the thrift store. My bags for your Zegna Suit.

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

Probably not a suit, but maybe an Oxxford hanger

Not my project, but I do post over there... that's where I started thrifting, then found this thread.

16. DenimDan

DenimDan Well-Known Member

Found a great rigid leather bag yesterday:

[​IMG]

17. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I don't know yet if this is possible, but I am going to attempt to NOT go to the thrift store after work today. Has anyone here ever been successfull at skipping a day or two? I start shaking just thinking about it. I need to move some inventory first. (note: I will probably still go at lunch, lol)

18. concealed

concealed Senior member

My wife wrote up a 12 steps for thrifting program for me. Available for proxy.

19. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

Nothing compare to us man, people bragging about Kenneth Cole, Calvin and stuff. Did you check their "WIWT", similar to What are you wearing now, but very crappy.

20. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I only need like the first 3 or 4 steps...I don't want to quit all together. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.