1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

RLPL is Cucinelli.

Nice going on the Isaia as well!

2. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

+1

I have been looking for even less, standard navy blazer that didn't suck. I had a southwick for a while but it was too heavy, I decided after a few wearings. Now I have a Canali odd suit coat...it's good. Might change buttons. But it passes fine.

But that took a thriftload of rack-slamming (as previously described, a description I've latched on to and will overuse it now)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  3. mainy

mainy Senior member

i have a lot of navy blazers what size do you wear

4. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Looks more like Cantarelli to me.

5. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

+2!!

I have an Aquascutum, ca. 1990. It is beautiful, minus a small moth hole in one sleeve (not sure what you call it, but it has the stitching you can see along the lapels - which I like). Only problem is when it gets wet at all - i mean, even a few sprinkles between the car and the front door - it has this smell that make people wrinkle their noses, and then smell themselves. Super embarrassing.

I have been thrifting for a replacement now for six months and for my own personal wardrobe I have found, 3 full Southwick suits, [FONT=verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif]3 BB SCs, 2 pair of Ballin slacks, [/FONT]5 pair of AE's, and a pair of Aldens, but no simple Blue Blazer - NOT ONE!

Quote:

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Is Southwick worth buying? :brick: Also, what about buying Hugo Boss stuff? I know the brand gets a lot of hate on SF, but seems to be popular in public opinion.

7. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Southwick is probably worth buying, as long as condition is good, decent ebay value, and good longevity.

Hugo Boss - buy it to flip - not to wear, and for god's sake - don't post it around here.

Quote:

8. darkmatter7

You're right. That's what I meant... I just mix the two up.

For verification:

Quote:

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Damn passed on two Southwick pieces today because I didn't know what they were. And yes, I was asking about Boss to flip, wouldn't buy it to wear. Just trying to get a reality check, since sometimes SF-approved and real world value don't always align :nodding:

10. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Quote:

I have a boss baldessarini sc that I wear a lot. It is one of the nicest scs I have.

11. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

+1, I have a really nice unvented Boss heavy lambswool, black & white herringbone SC that I really love. "SF approval" is often way too myopic for my taste. There's plenty of good stuff to be had even among the brands that otherwise get no love on SF.

12. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

In my experience, don't buy Southwick to flip. Suits take a decent amount of time and effort to shoot and display properly. You're going to absolutely max out with a Southwick suit at around $75.00 -- most will go for a good deal less, $30 - $50.00. Southwick makes a pretty nice suit. Buy it if it fits you. Else, leave it for someone else.

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

There's a thrift near me with literally two solid racks of blue blazers. Mostly trad (think BB and Andover Shop) Some with horn buttons, some with brass. And if you end up with one with horn buttons and want brass, I have a set I pulled from a Gieves by HF (canvased like a tank but slightly sheened so I decided to experiment on it. I may take/post pics of the inside, just for giggles). Prices at this thrift are probably more what one would call consignment, but if you want, PM me with details and I will proxy for cost plus ship next time I go (as long as you commit to buying what I pick up, assuming it's reasonably close to your size; I have 3 blue blazers and don't need any more!). Same place is basically a Southwick forest.

14. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

Post your size...i have a samuelsohn available...listed as 40R but fits more like a 42

15. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

You've given me the resolve I needed. Bought a pair of new Peals from Steve Smith recently in mismatched colors. Just came back from the cobbler with disappointing results--he must've spotted the $500 price sticker on the soles and gotten timid. Any rate, his attempt to bring the lighter to the same shade of chocolate as the darker didn't take. Making matters worse, I took Mrs. Pnutpug to dinner the other night and, after a few cocktails, told her that I had paid $100 on a pair different-colored shoes.

It turns out that my wife has never spent $100 on a pair of shoes--I know that now. She told me, why don't I just go ahead and buy some pink shoes, but I already have a pair of those (Alfred Sargent saddles).

Really, I have nothing to lose at this point. I am going to consult with another leather guy in town, maybe even out of town, and then, by gum, I am going to take the plunge. And, if all else fails, I am going to buy a pair of Peals for $500 that match in color, then I am going to take a black marker and put an X in the inner sole labels, and then I am going to wave them in my wife's face and say "Look!" At this point, I see no other option.

16. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow! The RLPL and Enrico Isaia cashmere are especially nice finds!
    :wow: :slayer:
    Baldesserini is on a whole 'nother level. I've only once found a piece by them (a pair of trousers). It's worth bragging about here. Boss (recent suits) are a good ebay sale, as others have stated but nothing to brag about.

17. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Good luck, are you going to tackle them yourself or try to find someone to do it? If you do it yourself, I would pick up a practice pair first.

I think my next try will be on some some smooth leather shoes. I think I was at a dissadvantage trying it out on a pair of pebbled grain shoes.

18. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Just got a PM recommending B. Nelson in NYC, so I'm going to call them tomorrow--if they can get anything close to your results for south of $100, I would be thrilled. Helps that the wife noticed some antique finish shoes someone on the street in Chicago was wearing recently, and that she urged me to buy a pair of full-price AE longwings, blue with red stitching, that day (I would've done it if these ones hadn't been en route). So all is not lost, not by a long shot. Heck, if you're game, I might just send them to you. Looks like you know what you're doing.

19. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Well, I certainly would not say that. This is only my first try. I'd be reluctant to attempt it on somone elses shoes until I have quite a few successfull pairs under my belt. I too have heard good things about B Nelson.

20. darkmatter7

A lot of you have asked:

My items are now trickling into the bay. The link is in my signature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.