Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

:laugh: That froze my brain for a moment. Is that a Lanvin shirt...made by Hathaway? Or does Hathaway have a line they just randomly decided to name Lanvin? I just I don't I mean I don't even....

2. catside

catside Senior member

1750 on eBay :D

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

If you ever plan to post any fit pics in the WAYWRN threads, crappy smart phone pics taken in a public restroom mirror get you nothing but scorn. I applied my thrifting skills acquired here and went to a pawn shop and picked up this 3 year old Olympus digital camera with battery and charger for $40 US ($300 when new) and the lightweight aluminum tripod was $5 at Valu Village, in the original box! As a bonus, the 4 MB pic card in the camera (yes, it is a PINK camera) contained quite a few photos of several nubile young ladies in swimwear out by their backyard pool. EVERYONE in the pawn shop enjoyed that little show once I queued it up for them. BTW...NEVER pay the sticker price for anything in a pawn shop. Go half (or what seems reasonable if you are familiar with the item) and see how well you can do. The sticker price on the Olympus was $65.

Meanwhile, you just set the timer on the camera, walk around to the front and when the little red light starts flashing rapidly, smile and say "Cheese".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

PICS!

Why have you never mentioned this. :plain:

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

You'd be surprised by what Armani "Le Collezioni" stuff goes for on the 'bay, given the right timing, pictures, and description. The 'bay is a very fickle, though sometimes rewarding beast.

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

If it fit you well keep it. You won't be able to buy another for what you bought that one for. Also look on ebay completed auction or use the search function in the B&S to see what other ones are going for. You have to so some work/research to find what fair market value is.

I've always gotten $20-$30 for each of my "Le Collezioni" shirts, just as much (usually more) then flipping a Brooks Brothers shirt.

7. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

8. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Real or not, it's real in some way. Real ugly [​IMG] (no offense, just too easy).

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Found this one today, only a day late for Cordoroy Appreciation Day (1/11)

[​IMG]

Would look great with these NOS Dexter Longwings if only they were 2 sizes larger.

[​IMG]

Another Orvis Cord SC w/ suede elbow patches and patch pockets.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, we have a Second Debut here too. Sucks because 1) If you find an orphaned suit coat or trousers there, you have about a 1% chance of finding them and 2) All that stuff could have been found by you if they didn't have people pulling it aside in the back room. A GW store in a very rich neighborhood near me does this all the time and it kills me. You can see the manager flip through the New Arrivals racks before they're brought out onto the floor. I've seen them pick stuff off there quite a bit. You'd think they don't know what to look for, but I've found everything from Thom Browne to Band of Outsiders to recent mainline Zegna stuff at my local Second Debut. :fu:
    Pics! Love mid-century modern stuff!
    +1. I demand piktars!
    For some reason, this tie brings this music video to mind....

11. MattR

MattR Senior member

[​IMG]

12. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Batman sign for Spoo is definitely a classic.

Took me a while to realize that was a tie and not a folded up scarf.

I hate to be the odd one out, but I cannot commit myself to saying the tie is hideous, true I would not wear it, but it is intriguing. A good FU tie methinks.

13. catside

catside Senior member

^^

It's so ugly, it can't be fake. We need to know if it sells. I have passed many such.

14. valium

valium Senior member

okay gentlemen,i have a very nice black pinstripe very recent Brioni suit ,Tiberio model,double breasted,peak lapels (recent slim cut ) side vents working surgeon cuffs.
    the suit is mint,the pants are spotless (no stains what soever) BUT!!!!! the lining has been though the ringer.has a hole worn right through and another at the neck line.I have another Brioni SC with a mint lining that would be a perfect donor,i priced it out and will cost about a week and $125 to replace it.
    tag says 44 long but no way its true to szie im a 42 reg and fits me perfect measurements at end THIS IS A 42 Reg.
    ehabadaser has the same suit so im linking it,except mine has working cuffs.the rest of the pics are me wearing it.
    anyway let me stress:the suit is mint just the lining is shot.if anybody is interested PM me,thought i would see if anybody is interested before i list it in the buy and sell.
    measurements:
    chest 22
    shouldr 20
    sleeve 25
    overall 32
    pants are 36 by 36 with 2 inches to let out in both

http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/the-6752/Brioni-Suit-cln--38S-SALE!/Detail

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/vintagency/01122012277-1.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/vintagency/01122012280.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/vintagency/01122012284-1.jpg

http://s1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/vintagency/?action=view&current=01122012287.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/vintagency/01122012288.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/vintagency/01122012289.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/vintagency/01122012290.jpg

15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

^^^ I would have been all over this one if it were true to size. Sadly not true to size, I beat a hasty retreat. And there was me initially excited after seeing 44L figuring it was 56EU.

Dang. Whats with the tiny little shoulders :plain:, on Brioni it should be at least 20".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.