• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Hey! I know that jacket. It's a little too rich for my blood, and it's also too long. Do you ever go to the Marshalls on Peachtree next to Gordon Biersch? It's drowning in good stuff too (even more so than that location). I'm also really considering that purple gingham shirt, but I probably won't pick it up.

Yeah I hit both pretty regularly. Though more digging is involved, all my best scores (Kiton, Brioni, LP, BC and RLPL) have all come from the Lindbergh location. They also seem to have more on sale/better prices at the Lindbergh spot.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 i was stupid enough to do an auction with bad pics and got screwed im pretty he sure he bought the pants and flipped them, so what really bothers me about him is he knows how bad feedback can ding someone since hes a high volume seller, plus he makes a nice profit off my poor photos! im pretty sure he also made some incredibly low ball offers on some of my stuff like insanely low, actually insultingly low /rant

This guy does not hide he is a reseller.
So just refuse his offers and ignore him. If he whines tell him to send your stuff back. that easy.

PS Of course i did not notice the part about bad feedback. Sorry. Should go on black list, now.

BTW how does membership of this forum let him get a Huntsman suit for 35 bucks!! Where are the eBay sharks!!?

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohhh, my measurements! If either the Canali/Oxxford are L instead of R, I'd love deets on them. Also, interested in some of the shirts not already dibbed (anyone call the Borrelli or Canali shirts? I'll take them if not).

Well I know some of you are going to kill me after I finish this post, but I honestly didn't have the money on my yesterday to pick everything up at this one GW after prepaying rent and bills for a few months. I swear, some Sartorial wizard must have passed on near West Hollywood. On the shirt racks of one gw it was like Christmas if a guy was a 16, 41". I passed two T&A shirts, a Canali shirt, two Zegnas, a black RL Purple Label shirt, a Loro Piana (I actually had to point this out to some guy nearby that looked about the right size because I couldn't stand to let this one sit), a Dolce and Gabanna mainline for men shirt, Borelli, Fratielli? (some Barney's Made in Italy line), a couple of Barney's other lines, and a few other quality Italian shirts. I'm sure there were probably some Brioni things hidden away there. Anyway, I've forgotten what most of the regular dudes who I hooked up measurements are, or if they are even up here, so I didn't want to risk spending what little I had giving up what I bought for myslef in hopes of flipping them, but if there's serious interest I'm planning on heading back today to check out some of their ties. I literally had to stop because the finds just slightly out of my size range were killing me. GW did have them slightly marked up, but still, $12.99 for pristine Borelli and Purple Label (someo f them still had dry cleaning tags on) are a bargain.
I did manage to pick up a nice Japanese button up, a J. Lindeberg button up, and Pierre Balmain button up for myself. I had to laugh because there was no tag on the Japanese shirt, and the lady marked it up at the reegister to 12.99, citing the "quality" of a random Japanese maker, but looking at the Lindeberg and Balmain shirts like they were trash.
Finally, got a question. Picked up this Navy Blue J. Lindeberg coat and I'm trying to decide if it's an orphaned SC or just a jacket. I'm pretty sure it's a jacket (hoping so as it fits perfect without tailoring and looks great). Any thoughts? Apologies for image quality:

Absolutely, I plan to pick them all up today anyway, pretty sure I could flip em quick up here. Seeing your sizes, this guy has given away a lot of what you are looking for (I think I saw a Givenchy, Canali and Oxxford suit all 40-42 R, two Dolce and Gabanna mainline ones were gone unfortunately. Also a pretty nice overcoat. I'll keep a lookout to see if someone hasn't bought them already.

Last edited:

Hoofit

Reaction score
Nice pick up yesterday. AE Delray sz 7D (available please PM)
IMG_8058.jpg

And from earlier in the week Burberry dress shirt 16 33 (available please PM)
IMG_8066.jpg

Jorgeezy

Reaction score
I want to move to america purely to thrift :')

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I want to move to america purely to thrift :')

In your sig you mention you need driving gloves. Since you live in the UK, aren't Chester Jeffries gloves cheaper for you guys? Hell, bespoke are relatively affordable through them.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was in a city about 100 miles away for work today, hit the shops. Google map searched "Goodwill" and got there only to find it was some high end Goodwill called "Second Debut". Nice music playing, cleaner, more expensive...same stuff I'd find at any other Goodwill. Quite odd. Paid more for a thrifted tie than I ever have ($5) for this Lorenzini, but I really like the design and fabric quality:

This (the only Lorenzini tie I found on ebay) is exactly it, actually: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LORENZINI-B..._Mens_Ties&hash=item589099239a#ht_2076wt_1064

Also got this salmon colored Burberry London shirt in my size after I got home, at one of my regular spots:

EDIT: Just noticed surface gunk on the tie. It came off with my fingernail.

Last edited:

Wrenkin

Reaction score

I'm mad jelly over here. Marshalls up here in Toronto sucks! I've never seen anything SF worthy in there and you guys are finding friggin' Kiton and Brioni.
feelsbadman.jpg

I think I saw some Church's once at the Lawrence/Bathurst Winners. Usually the best thing you find is a pair of Polo socks.

hyakku

Reaction score
Just to update everyone, I may not get a chance to run back over to the GW tonight, will definitely be going tomorrow morning pretty early though so I'll keep a lookout on all the things you guys told me. Fortunately I also just came across a stash of some extra funds so I'll just go mad scooping **** tomorrow, distribute to whoever wants (if there's anything left), and return what's unwanted. I only ask that if anyone comes across a decent suit with a slim cut in 38R (some very slim cut 40Rs will work) in Navy Blue, Charcoal or Grey and a pair of solid oxfords, captoes or wingtips to go along with it to let me know. I'd greatly appreciate it. If I do get over there tonight I'll update you all.

Pretty decent finds btw dark. The Lanvin isn't their mainline I believe (I bought a similar Lanvin with the same label when I first started thrifting, people told me that although it is still a nice coat it's not from their top line for men). Canali looks pretty solid, not sure how recent, I'm no Canali expert so I'm sure someone else can help. If you like the ties, seems like you did pretty will (assuming the Givenchy is real which I believe it is, but again, I would get someone more experienced up here to confirm)

Last edited:

hmmurdock

Reaction score
The best piece of advice I can give to anyone new to thrifting...read the 1500 pages of this thread. Once you have done that then you will have a much better idea of quality vs quantity. You'll save yourself time and money and won't have a huge pile of clothes that you'll
have to go re-thrift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads