Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Yeah, I remember some years ago a SA at Marshall's said something about "dying on the rack" where you could get God-awful or damaged clothes for like 95% off. I think after a certain point (long time) they will just try and get rid of things, but I HIGHLY doubt anything worthwhile would last that long. As someone said above a lot of people in Marshall's buy stuff just for the sake of buying.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

2. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I KNOW you've seen these because they seem to be at every single Marshalls ITP.

I've been waiting for those terribly tacky and ugly but kind of awesome Braves designer shirts to drop a little bit more before I pick one up as a gag gift for my brother who lives out in LA and might appreciate the gesture. But there's no way I'm paying $40 for one. The SA who told me yellow was final sale said he's actually sold a couple of those at the earlier markdown price. I'll buy when they hit $25.

3. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Thanks, Mainy, figured someone would recognize the logo on the tie. It looks like it was never worn and was very good quality but did not recognize the logo. I See on the Custom Shop site they go for about $65-$75, kop for $1.99. I really liked the design and weave on the Facconable, almost a grenadine type weave, only $2.50.

Well, two out of three ain't bad as the song goes. The Fendi was $1 and I thought it might be some limited edition weave. Oh well.

4. bourbonbasted

:lol: I've been out the game since my last Kiton haul. I've found that I buy things that are great deals and those costs start to mount rapidly. I was waiting for final markdowns since everyone here seemed to be sure that mid January new things would be arriving. TBH the last time I went things were pretty picked over.

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

6. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I'm also interested...though I don't think I could afford it. This vintage Palm Beach three-piece tweed suit went for $1725 with 54 bids the other day on eBay. Insane.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Donegal-Tweed-Brown-Windowpane-3-Pc-Shooting-Suit-40R-/170756194490

7. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

8. bourbonbasted

So I'm thinking that yellow=final markdowns. Most of the stuff that has been sitting on the racks for the past few weeks/months was marked down a bit more (from 10-30% depending on the items). I didn't see anything that exciting. They are remodeling my Marshall's to be more display-oriented. I hope this doesn't mean the end of the line for great finds. I hate organized Marshall's.

Anyway, I left:
    - Finamore shirt, size 18 (white); $69
    - Finamore shirt, size 15 (micro purple gingham); $69
    - Brioni flannels, size 40 (light gray/tan); $99

The one that really perturbed me was a Zegna SC that has been hovering at $450 and finally dropped to $299. It's the strangest thing. Zegna label says it's a 56/46R; it's labeled from Marshall's/the other store that originally sold it as a 54/44R; it fits like a 40L. Fits my shoulders perfectly but is about an 1-1.5" too long. I just really like the pattern/fabric:

[​IMG]

9. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Just reporting on my lunchtime recon at Marshalls
    -Corneliani suit red tagged @ $299 “compare at up to $1750”
    -several “CC” by Corneliani suits red tagged @ $249 “compare at up to $1500”
    2 D&G wool pants. One black, one tan. The tan one was not as conservative as the other as it had loose belt loops. $149 red tagged. Both were flat front.
    1 Canali conservative flat front pant $149 red tagged.

I have been watching that 1st corneliani suit and it was red tagged @ $349 or 369 last week. So they are getting marked down further. Still using that red tag.

10. bourbonbasted

It's not navy blue, sized 40R perchance, is it?

11. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    If you are thinking about the D&G pants, hang in there. I think they are something like $119 at a store in my area.

12. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Well I know some of you are going to kill me after I finish this post, but I honestly didn't have the money on my yesterday to pick everything up at this one GW after prepaying rent and bills for a few months. I swear, some Sartorial wizard must have passed on near West Hollywood. On the shirt racks of one gw it was like Christmas if a guy was a 16, 41". I passed two T&A shirts, a Canali shirt, two Zegnas, a black RL Purple Label shirt, a Loro Piana (I actually had to point this out to some guy nearby that looked about the right size because I couldn't stand to let this one sit), a Dolce and Gabanna mainline for men shirt, Borelli, Fratielli? (some Barney's Made in Italy line), a couple of Barney's other lines, and a few other quality Italian shirts. I'm sure there were probably some Brioni things hidden away there. Anyway, I've forgotten what most of the regular dudes who I hooked up measurements are, or if they are even up here, so I didn't want to risk spending what little I had giving up what I bought for myslef in hopes of flipping them, but if there's serious interest I'm planning on heading back today to check out some of their ties. I literally had to stop because the finds just slightly out of my size range were killing me. GW did have them slightly marked up, but still, $12.99 for pristine Borelli and Purple Label (someo f them still had dry cleaning tags on) are a bargain.

I did manage to pick up a nice Japanese button up, a J. Lindeberg button up, and Pierre Balmain button up for myself. I had to laugh because there was no tag on the Japanese shirt, and the lady marked it up at the reegister to 12.99, citing the "quality" of a random Japanese maker, but looking at the Lindeberg and Balmain shirts like they were trash.

Finally, got a question. Picked up this Navy Blue J. Lindeberg coat and I'm trying to decide if it's an orphaned SC or just a jacket. I'm pretty sure it's a jacket (hoping so as it fits perfect without tailoring and looks great). Any thoughts? Apologies for image quality:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

usually the yellow tag is the final clearance price. they stack the red tags as it gets marked down more and more then put the "get-it-outta-here" yellow price. I've found that the markdown cycle is usually correlated w/ the number in the square box on the price tag that indicates when they got the item. the longer it's there, the more it gets marked down. sometimes not everything gets discounted consistently however. for instance if all the ties marked down are numbered 22, and you find one you like that's a 22 but not marked down, it was probably missed and if you ask, they will usually discount it for you. a couple times a year all the REALLY leftover shit gets marked down to like $3.

14. Mr_Elusive

Mr_Elusive Well-Known Member

I'm mad jelly over here. Marshalls up here in Toronto sucks! I've never seen anything SF worthy in there and you guys are finding friggin' Kiton and Brioni.

feelsbadman.jpg

15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I would argue the seller made a different account and bidded on his own auction. The sale price of that 3 piece is ridiculous to the point of absolute stupidity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.