The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitontini

Kitontini Senior member

Wish that Corallorosso was in my size :( The first BB is quite nice. Prince of Wales is always awesome!

2. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

I stopped by the local GW over lunch and found a couple interesting items. (This is in stark contrast to the typical poor hunting there.)

Here's a Robert Graham shirt. I wouldn't wear this myself, but I figured I'd pick it up and see what it might fetch on the Bay. I can always return it.

[​IMG]

And then this, a brown, 3 roll 2 Corneliani jacket. I think it's probably an orphan, but I couldn't find the trousers anywhere. I think I'll stop by again tomorrow and see if they turn up. It's a size EUR 54 and fits quite well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any idea about the vintage? What do you call this cloth/pattern? I'm not sure I could pull this off as a sport coat so I'm hoping the trousers turn up.

3. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Three ties from GW:

Faconnable...Unknown.....Fendi

[​IMG]

Unknown tie, a little help on maker:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

4. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Hey, I should have dibs pre-budget-cuts since we talked about that MB suit before then! :devil:

Surprised Corallorosso already hits thrifts... guess it's been a little bit, though.

Oh, and as long as I'm bugging you, Nat, what do you think of that Marantz 4140? What price would qualify as a "good deal" on it?

5. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

i'm interested in the 46R zegna coat. any pics? price?

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Offered him $150 (plus shipping) and auto-declined... also, a size 48 (tagged US sizing I assume - the pants are tagged 42 and measure 42 - with pit to pit 24 inches? :puzzled: Shouldn't a size 48 have pit to pit of at least 25 inches?

7. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

That corneliani is really nice! Looks like it might work as an odd jacket to me :)

8. mainy

mainy Senior member

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Nice scores. I hear ya - if it's where I think they came from, I scored the recent Zegna and Armani Collezioni suits there too on Tuesday. You should have no trouble moving that Robert Graham. The wackier, the money $$ they bring. The Corneliani looks newer, I can't say how recent without seeing the fabric content tag but looks to be within the past 8 or so years.

Haha yeah.

As for the Marantz, hop on that sucker if you can score it for under $350. Anything under that mark would be a steal. The 4140 is a monster!

It's a suit, but PM me if you're still interested. Between my brother and I, we have three suits from the same donor.

Things are insanely expensive there. I remember Big Macs being about $10 USD last time I was there.

I hope I was during the currency conversion wrong....

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en003.html

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Wow, that high, really? The guy opened with $150 on it and I told him I'd think about it... the $600+ listings on audiogon forum and ebay complete seem to be for fully refurbished systems "like new" from a tech - I don't have audiogon pro or worthpoint or anything, unfortunately... I'd have to really think before dropping that kind of change on a system for ebay ^^;

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Never know about Robert Graham before this thread and use to pass up the RG shirts. Picked up 3 within the last 2 weeks and 2 of them already sold for $30 and $40 respectfully. I had one with some 'cool' embroidering up for more but havnt got any offers on it yet. They seem like a pretty safe bet under $8 at thrift stores for a quick $20 profit (can't see the price tag on that one)

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow, that high, really? The guy opened with $150 on it and I told him I'd think about it... the $600+ listings on audiogon forum and ebay complete seem to be for fully refurbished systems "like new" from a tech - I don't have audiogon pro or worthpoint or anything, unfortunately... I'd have to really think before dropping that kind of change on a system for ebay ^^;[/quote]

Oh yeah. Most vintage Marantz stuff is high $$$ stuff. They really held their value. I sold a integrated receiver a couple years ago (the model # slips my mind, but it wasn't a crazy high-end model) and I got $280 for it. For $150, I'd make sure it's tested and works ok. If it does, snag it! You can have a local hi-fi shop clean it up for about $30-$40. Well, at least that's what the guy I know charges.

13. mexicutioner

:slayer:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

14. mexicutioner

:slayer:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

15. amnesiacv2

amnesiacv2 Well-Known Member

I visited a couple thrift stores last week while on vacation. Ended up with a Brooks Brothers 346 camel hair sport coat for $20 and a seemingly brand-new Gieves & Hawkes jacket for $10.99. Both fit perfectly off the rack. I think it makes up for the fact that all the thrift stores near my home carry worn, stained crap and bulk overstock worthless to anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.