• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.B.Cooper

Reaction score
I stopped by the local GW over lunch and found a couple interesting items. (This is in stark contrast to the typical poor hunting there.)

Here's a Robert Graham shirt. I wouldn't wear this myself, but I figured I'd pick it up and see what it might fetch on the Bay. I can always return it.

And then this, a brown, 3 roll 2 Corneliani jacket. I think it's probably an orphan, but I couldn't find the trousers anywhere. I think I'll stop by again tomorrow and see if they turn up. It's a size EUR 54 and fits quite well.

Any idea about the vintage? What do you call this cloth/pattern? I'm not sure I could pull this off as a sport coat so I'm hoping the trousers turn up.

lastdonb

Reaction score
Three ties from GW:

Faconnable...Unknown.....Fendi

Unknown tie, a little help on maker:

Last edited:

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sadly I think it'll be quite a while - the wife is keeping tabs on my spending since we're saving up for our Calif. trip in March and trip to Japan in October. A blasted 14 day rail pass in Tokyo is $500! :crazy:
For everything that enters the closet, one thing needs to leave (ie: be sold)....

Hey, I should have dibs pre-budget-cuts since we talked about that MB suit before then! :devil:

Surprised Corallorosso already hits thrifts... guess it's been a little bit, though.

Oh, and as long as I'm bugging you, Nat, what do you think of that Marantz 4140? What price would qualify as a "good deal" on it?

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- Semi-recent (2002-2004ish) Zegna mainline 15 mil 15 charcoal windowpane suit. 46 R. No vent. 3 btn. Likely headed for the bay if no interest is expressed here. My brother bought the other two which were blue birdseye patterns from the Trofeo line. Also 3 btn, no vent. Same vintage & size.

i'm interested in the 46R zegna coat. any pics? price?

Last edited:

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After a quick eBay search, this turned up. An instakop for anyone who is 48R

Corallarosso by Isaia Suit.

Offered him $150 (plus shipping) and auto-declined... also, a size 48 (tagged US sizing I assume - the pants are tagged 42 and measure 42 - with pit to pit 24 inches? :puzzled: Shouldn't a size 48 have pit to pit of at least 25 inches?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I stopped by the local GW over lunch and found a couple interesting items. (This is in stark contrast to the typical poor hunting there.)
Here's a Robert Graham shirt. I wouldn't wear this myself, but I figured I'd pick it up and see what it might fetch on the Bay. I can always return it.

And then this, a brown, 3 roll 2 Corneliani jacket. I think it's probably an orphan, but I couldn't find the trousers anywhere. I think I'll stop by again tomorrow and see if they turn up. It's a size EUR 54 and fits quite well.

Any idea about the vintage? What do you call this cloth/pattern? I'm not sure I could pull this off as a sport coat so I'm hoping the trousers turn up.

That corneliani is really nice! Looks like it might work as an odd jacket to me :)

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice scores. I hear ya - if it's where I think they came from, I scored the recent Zegna and Armani Collezioni suits there too on Tuesday. You should have no trouble moving that Robert Graham. The wackier, the money $$ they bring. The Corneliani looks newer, I can't say how recent without seeing the fabric content tag but looks to be within the past 8 or so years.

Sadly I think it'll be quite a while - the wife is keeping tabs on my spending since we're saving up for our Calif. trip in March and trip to Japan in October. A blasted 14 day rail pass in Tokyo is $500! :crazy:
For everything that enters the closet, one thing needs to leave (ie: be sold)....

Hey, I should have dibs pre-budget-cuts since we talked about that MB suit before then! :devil:

Surprised Corallorosso already hits thrifts... guess it's been a little bit, though.

Oh, and as long as I'm bugging you, Nat, what do you think of that Marantz 4140? What price would qualify as a "good deal" on it?

Haha yeah.

As for the Marantz, hop on that sucker if you can score it for under $350. Anything under that mark would be a steal. The 4140 is a monster!

i'm interested in the 46R zegna coat. any pics? price?

It's a suit, but PM me if you're still interested. Between my brother and I, we have three suits from the same donor.

Quote:

That can't be true. How much is a bottle of water there? You have to pay to breathe the air? A hotel must be a million dollars a night!!!

Things are insanely expensive there. I remember Big Macs being about $10 USD last time I was there.

I hope I was during the currency conversion wrong....

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en003.html

Last edited:

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha yeah.
As for the Marantz, hop on that sucker if you can score it for under $350. Anything under that mark would be a steal. The 4140 is a monster!

Wow, that high, really? The guy opened with $150 on it and I told him I'd think about it... the $600+ listings on audiogon forum and ebay complete seem to be for fully refurbished systems "like new" from a tech - I don't have audiogon pro or worthpoint or anything, unfortunately... I'd have to really think before dropping that kind of change on a system for ebay ^^;

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score

Never know about Robert Graham before this thread and use to pass up the RG shirts. Picked up 3 within the last 2 weeks and 2 of them already sold for $30 and $40 respectfully. I had one with some 'cool' embroidering up for more but havnt got any offers on it yet. They seem like a pretty safe bet under $8 at thrift stores for a quick $20 profit (can't see the price tag on that one)

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha yeah.

Wow, that high, really? The guy opened with $150 on it and I told him I'd think about it... the $600+ listings on audiogon forum and ebay complete seem to be for fully refurbished systems "like new" from a tech - I don't have audiogon pro or worthpoint or anything, unfortunately... I'd have to really think before dropping that kind of change on a system for ebay ^^;[/quote]

Oh yeah. Most vintage Marantz stuff is high $$$ stuff. They really held their value. I sold a integrated receiver a couple years ago (the model # slips my mind, but it wasn't a crazy high-end model) and I got $280 for it. For $150, I'd make sure it's tested and works ok. If it does, snag it! You can have a local hi-fi shop clean it up for about $30-$40. Well, at least that's what the guy I know charges.

Last edited:

amnesiacv2

Reaction score
I visited a couple thrift stores last week while on vacation. Ended up with a Brooks Brothers 346 camel hair sport coat for $20 and a seemingly brand-new Gieves & Hawkes jacket for $10.99. Both fit perfectly off the rack. I think it makes up for the fact that all the thrift stores near my home carry worn, stained crap and bulk overstock worthless to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads