The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I don't usually like leather jackets with elastic waists but I'm such a BB brand whore, you might be able to twist my arm and make me buy that from you! :D

I feel like a low rent Spoo right about now. :embar:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

2. Greg613

Greg613 Senior member

Picked up an Avirex Old Leather Flight Jacket A-2. It originally had two additional patches on the right and left breast areas, but they were removed.

[​IMG]

3. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Found these today:

[​IMG][​IMG]

There were about a dozen more, none with the gaudy sheep, all in solid colors (mostly blue and red, non-silk, leather tabs) from BB and Trafalgar, one or two from Facconable. $8 each, happy to swing by tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Picked up a Gieves & Hawkes coat in a dark charcoal. I'm 99% sure it was an orphaned suit coat, but I couldn't be sure and it was half off (perhaps literally) so I figured what hell. Searched everywhere for the pants but finding that color is especially difficult. Any idea how I might tell if this is in fact a lonely abandoned coat? Anything special that distinguishes G&H pants?

Belvest SC too, pics below:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tough to tell from my poor cell phone pics, but its an olive green with a red windowpane. Unvented.

Just a hair too small for me if anyone is interested. Approximate measurements:

chest - 21
    shoulder - 18.5
    arms (from shoulder - 24-25

Also, a belated thank you to Klobber for his thoughts on the RLPL grey flannel's pants. If Nataku doesn't want them, I'll follow your advice.

4. orchestrion

orchestrion Active Member

Those are some cool braces. I have yet to see anything other than crappy belts at the places I frequent.

5. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I wont lie and say I like eBay, but I have, you could say, a mistrust of eBay which means I will only list for an auction if the item will yield good money.

Another main issue with selling though eBay is the time consuming nature of it, and if an item is not worth much more than $15 then it is hardly worth my time. My last auction took me 1/2 an hour to write, and then a further 1/2 hour to pack and post the item. That is 1 hour of my time. If I sold something for over $30 maybe it is worth it, but less than this.....

Power sellers can get around this since in one hit they maybe ship a dozen or so items at once, possibly twice a week or more. A small time dude like me, it is one at a time.

6. deburn

deburn Senior member

Thanks for the reply Achilles. I did check completed eBay listings, but the shoes weren't the same, and the price range was all over the place!

7. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

It would be. List them with BIN of $400 and allow an offer and see if anyone takes the bait.

8. catside

catside Senior member

Exactly my sentiments.

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    spent saturday morning running around, having a bunch of near-misses and finally a win. hit a couple of thrifts, found my first borelli shirt in the wild, but it looked a little faded and wasn't my size so i passed. nice buttons, though. next place found a gold trumpeter double-breasted navy blazer ... awesome material, little big, but putting it on i just felt like the commodore, so i passed. hit a marshall's and found the remnant of the big sale ... a brioni dress shirt, but at $129, didn't seem like much of a steal. searched for those $69 cucinelli jackets, but they must have been hiding. it was jam-packed with prl lambswool and merino vnecks at $39 in a whole range of colors, though. went to probably the single most depressing tjmaxx i've ever seen and found absolutely zero ... well, there was a white leather affliction jacket with studs and chains ... just not me. but next door was a goodwill i'd never been to so i stopped in ... first thing i saw: a gorgeous burgundy pringle cashmere sweater. really soft, thick material. tried it on and though it was a slight bit snug, nice fit. $5.

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

The $69 Cucinelli cashmere jacket is a mythological beast.

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

that does not mean i will not continue to seek it. and if i find it, i will slay it and bring it back mounted on a jpg.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Not a bad day here,

HSM Gold Trumpeter for Nordstrom

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Saks 100% Cashmere SC

[​IMG][​IMG]

Loro Piana for Nordstrom 100% Cashmere SC

[​IMG][​IMG]

Alfred Dunhill DB Chalkstripe

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

This is seriously baller.

Quote:

14. plei89

plei89 Senior member

If that shirts a FC, I found the exact same one thrifting a month ago. in a size 15.

15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

:laugh: you do that my friend. After your heroic exploits, please make sure it is a size 56L and flip it to me, after all, I will need to examine the physical evidence in order for it to be logged as a legitimate conquest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.