• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
First stop after work, found a beautiful navy and red Kiton 7-fold. Got it to the register: big, quarter-sized stain on the front. *shakes fist* But also, *phew*

Next stop, found a Lubiam SC. Quite beautiful. Brown, with medium-sized cream and light tan checks, Vitale Barberis Canonico wool. No brand label, but the size tag says "Lubiam S.p.A." in the lower right corner. It's a US size 42C. Color scheme and fabric quality seem to say it's quite recent.

Oh, and if anybody's hot for it, there's a nice Southwick for The Hound glenplaid suit in a nicely strange greenish-blue at the Fillmore Goodwill, size 42. It has some light, probably dry cleanable stains on the lapel, but my flipping rack is too full for me to risk stained clothes right now.

Last edited:

Staatsoper

Reaction score

Here's one for all your Marshalls experts: Do the yellow tags really mean final sale? I'm waiting for a few things to be marked down a bit more, but I was told by a sales duder that if the tag is yellow, that's as far as it will go. True?

I've always thought the last discount tags were red....not sure, though. When I bought a pair of Dunhill slacks for $5 at Marshall's, that tag was red.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
This one felt really nice, had a TON of handwork and the tag above the label looked familiar......but from Donna Karan, who knew they had such high quality clothes??

** On a seperate note, what do you guys use to get ride of slight yellowing in the neck collar on thrifted shirts when they say no bleach, white shirt with colored stripes, etc?

Last edited:

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Left behind a spectacular Hardy Aimes 100% cashmere navy SC in an unmarked size...but it nearly fit me so I would place it at around a 40R or maybe a 40S as it looked a hair shorter than most. Despite being 20+ years old, the tailoring was slim and fresh. $20...will likely still be there for a few more days at least. As far as I could tell, it's not a bespoke as there wasn't a Saville Row address listed and the liner tag said "designed by".

Mercuryman76

Reaction score

deburn

Reaction score
I have a couple of Santoni suede loafers that I'd like to sell on eBay. These are NIB (with very minor shop wear), fatte a mano with leather soles; one of them has a red sole. From what I could see w/google, the price online ranges from 495.00 to 850.00 Any suggestions on what price I should expect? I have very few ratings because I only recently started buying stuff there (thanks to SF!) Any pointers to an eBay guide for newbies and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! thanks deburn

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This tie is nothing special, but I thought it was noteworthy that I had picked it up at Thrift Town last week, put it back when I realized the line was about 10 people long and I had an appointment to make, gone back today and found it hanging in the same place I left it.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

4 Rembrandt etchings, $600 each. No idea if they were real, but they all sold in less than a day.
6669592679_78f02cfba3_z.jpg
Wow! In addition to Pawn Stars, I remember seeing an episode of A&E's Buried Treasure that features these. If real, Those were a huge score!
This one felt really nice, had a TON of handwork and the tag above the label looked familiar......but from Donna Karan, who knew they had such high quality clothes??
Wow - That's a Donna Karan?! Hit some thrifts today and came out ok. Nothing crazy, but some solid pick-ups. - Recent Polo RL brown birdseye D/B suit. 6/2 button. Side vented. Crazy lapel blades ala Tom Ford. My size. Debating on rocking it or selling. Pics up tomorrow. 42 R. 36 trousers. - Recent Hickey Freeman Collection charcoal pinstripe suit. 2 btn. Single vent. 40 R. Up for grabs. - Merrell shoes with Vibram soles. Barely worn. These will make great summer beater shoes. - Casual summer shirts from REI and Cloudveil. Fit is perfect - usually they're too blousy. - A couple cool psych/garage 45s along with some more mainstream 60's stuff but in NM condition.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Donna Karan Gold and Black label stuff was once upon a time ago decent'ish, I still have a sport coat from this label that I kept and still wear regularly. Fully canvassed, but machine made button holes and cut by machine, but otherwise on a par with a lot of stuff deemed passable in this forum. Donna Karan is much like Calvin Klein Collection (their top line) - it is mostly below par but sometimes quite alright. DKNY stuff is junk just like Calvin Klein lower end stuff we see in department stores.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

** On a seperate note, what do you guys use to get ride of slight yellowing in the neck collar on thrifted shirts when they say no bleach, white shirt with colored stripes, etc?

I take it to my tailor and they send it out to a laundering service. They've always come back clean without any sign of the ring around the collar.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
First round of stuff posted from my NJ -> MA thrifting adventure. Suits should be posted tomorrow.

Paul Smith Gray Mini Check - 35x32

Abercrombie & Fitch Harris Tweed Jacket - Large (approx 42L)

John Varvatos Brown Tan Stripe - XL (approx 17.5-35)

Thomas Pink White Blue/Red Stripe - 16.5-36.5

Valentino Roma Black Stripe - 17.5-37

Zegna Sport Polo Gray - Medium

Zegna Sport Polo Gray - Medium

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This one felt really nice, had a TON of handwork and the tag above the label looked familiar......but from Donna Karan, who knew they had such high quality clothes?? ** On a seperate note, what do you guys use to get ride of slight yellowing in the neck collar on thrifted shirts when they say no bleach, white shirt with colored stripes, etc?
Wow, which DK label was this? I've seen decent-looking DK stuff before, but never picked it up... if I remember right that's Saint Andrews, isn't it, that used to make for RLPL?! Still think the flip would be mega-difficult, though, before anyone gets excited and starts checking DK fabric tags. :lol: Frustrating afternoon today - four stores, but only the first one produced anything, and only two things: Nom de Guerre l/s polo collar sweater Brooks Brothers leather suede jacket, size Small - not super recent, but still. Pics tomorrow, it's actually pretty cool looking IMO.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had somewhat of a Tweed day.

Not sure who made these 2 Harris Tweed Coats, only the orb label was on either one.

Like new Orvis

Pendleton Tweed with a western flare

Unusual vintage corduroy jacket.

All have been posted in my store, 20% off BIN for SF members. Free US shipping.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Frustrating afternoon today - four stores, but only the first one produced anything, and only two things:
Nom de Guerre l/s polo collar sweater
Brooks Brothers leather suede jacket, size Small - not super recent, but still. Pics tomorrow, it's actually pretty cool looking IMO.

What size is the Nom de Guerre? :D

Last edited:

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics