Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I found an Oxxford cashmere coat, a Kiton shirt and a bunch of other stuff at the Roswell road one (which is right next to a Ross); there weren't any crazy markdowns, so I didn't bite (the Oxford was 999 marked down from some insane price, and the Kiton was 99). There may or may not be a very, very good Marshalls extremely near that location.

I've also had some success at Buckhead Thriftique, which is on Miami circle — almost spitting distance from the Roswell road Marshalls. I found some near mint Allen Edmonds 9C Sheltons — actually, I'm still trying to get rid of those, so maybe that place isn't so good after all.

2. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Dig...Checked the Bill's. I have a 35" & and a 36" (also another 35" that has a small hole I was going to give to my father in law for beater pants. I do have a pair of J Press flat fronts (made in US) in roughly 30"- 32" that would work if you lost the cuff. The color is a greyish olive. Really nice shape. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

3. MattR

MattR Senior member

I was surprised, but that's exactly within the range I cleared on a recent EZ SC on ebay. I had it on auction, but someone scooped it real early on a BIN. Mr. Dockers might want to try his hand at exclusively a BIN on the first go around.

4. Kitontini

Kitontini Senior member

I found this weird Gianni Versace jacket thingy yesterday. I dont know if its a sportcoat or an outerwear type piece? It doesnt have any lining and is 88% wool, 9% nylon and 3% spandex. Any help would be appreciated! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Thats not too bad a price. I already decided I did not want to make a killing on a hobby, but making 4X over what I pay for something is a good enough return to keep me in the game.
    As for SC or suit, it does not say on the tag but there is no indication of drop, and the model says "Travel", whatever the that means. I like the coat but the armholes dont work for me and it pinches my armpits. Too bad, but someone else I am sure will like it.

Both perhaps. That is quite a cool find, if I found that and it was my size, I probably would have worn that a few times before donating back or flipping.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Hmm, that'd odd. All the recent Zegna jackets I've seen have had this tag that indicates what it is at the bottom (see circled in red). Looks like a sportcoat, though. Either way, I could see $60+ out of it! I'd make ya an offer if it fit me.

[​IMG]

7. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Problem solved, it does say JACKET :laugh:. I just did not look far enough down and far enough left - you were not kidding, I had to really dig in there and peel back the fabric to get a good look.

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I don't understand it myself. AE seems to vary for me although the 9.5's were a bit cramped in the toe but the extra width made them bearable to wear. The 11's are just a bit too long but I bought them to practice "leather cosmetics". :lol: They had a rather large scratch on the cap toe and I wanted to see if I could make it disappear. How'd I do? The small cracks later buffed out to a smoother finish but I never took pics.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Afterwards, I found that if I snugged down the laces, they weren't too uncomfortable! [​IMG]

I appreciate the offer but I probably should have excluded olive when I answered your earlier question about color. if I show up on sf in ANYTHING olive, I get my olive colored a$$ kicked quite firmly. Thanks for checking though. One thing I have learned during nearly a year of thrifting is that someday, my pants will come.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

10. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

+1.

I wear a 9D and my first AE thrift store find was a pair of grayson tassel loafers, which pinched at widest part of my foot. Confused me a lot. I started experimenting with half-sizes up and down, and none of them fit.

After a while I realized it was just AE, they vary in width from style to style. I still am a solid 9D in most brands, and most AEs. But some AE 9Ds won't fit.

Also, I think that when you're getting into this dicey business of used shoes (I too love getting nasty looking pairs on occasion, too, to practice my restoring techniques, I'm glad I'm not the only one with that compulsion :) ) sometimes the previous owner's feet or step were so different that the shoe gets broken in incompatibly with your feet.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

11. MattR

MattR Senior member

Re: AE and width issues

Same here. I found I actually drop a half size in length and width, although I have some AE where the D width is great and others where it seems stretched. It might also be the nature of used shoes stretching out the width if someone grabs the wrong pair.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Can't believe this tie sold for more than the Hermes I sold a few weeks ago.

13. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Stopped in at GW on Friday since the 50% off color tag was changing, did not find any 50% off but did get these:

7 for all Mankind denim. They were in the "Better quality" section with a pair of womens 7 right next to them. No tag, but seemed to have not been washed. Ran through the washer, fit is great, really nice material. The tag was dated 1/05 so they were put out the day before.

Also found another Alexandre of London Harris Tweed jacket in great shape, more of a brown hue but it was probably a 48R so I left it behind. Before I left the store went back to check suits again since they were stocking more stuff and the jacket was gone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

Went at lunch... Nada. Anyone ever heard of Issimo? Saw a suit jacket with that tag and a "Made in Italy" tag that seemed pretty well made. No garment tags inside or content tags.

Also, Brooksfield Linea Oro? Decently made sportcoat with nice fabric with this tag, but I didn't know anything about it.

15. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Hrm, for $80, I could trick out these vintage light golden brown longwings with those ridiculous 2" white crepe soles you see on the #menswear circuit these days. Speak now, or refuse to laugh at my WAYWRN. :foo:

(I'm also about to dye some old Doc boots black and paint the sole an off white sneaker-ish color, though I already know this a bad idea)

Anyone else enjoy modding their thrift finds?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.