The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Agreed. I don't wear clothes for what the label says. On the other hand, I could see a trend among the occupy wallstreet crowd of paying a premium for such items and wearing them inside out to show off that they were buying donated clothing.

2. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

Sure, as long as other clothing were proudly marked, "This item was purchased at a grossly-inflated and exploitative full price."

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

omg, Best Thrift Find Ever! This may be an unpopular opinion around here, but I've handled Republican women in person, and they're not as abrasive as they appear online.

4. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

*handled* eh? Sounds like someone has an interesting story to tell. [​IMG]

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

We all wear stuff for the quality and details of it. I've purchased stuff I had no clue what it was until I got home because the thing felt very well made. Personally I wouldn't care. I'll be thrifting till the day I die. :slayer:

6. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Dig...what kind/size of Bills are you looking for? I have about 3 or 4 pairs I need to list.

7. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Speaking of thrifting into old age: my dad has observed some of my recent (not that great when compared to others on here) finds and wants to come to the thrifts with me now. Just understand that my dad is a very traditional guy, wears nothing but BB and Orvis and has a low tolerance for dirt and grime. He doesn't even like coupons because he thinks that people will think he can't afford to pay full price. I tried to explain to him that you don't just stroll in and ask to be shown something in your size, but he says he is still game. I think I may take him to one of the more downmarket places just to get him off my back. :)

8. DrJesper

DrJesper New Member

Hello Gentlemen
    My first post, but been reading this for aprox 6 months now and my knowledge is so much bigger. I have been thrifting for many years but not that much clothes.
    Well, thrifting in Denmark is a lot of hard work, since most donated clothes are polyester blends, handelled by goodhearted ladies that do not know good from bad (but that is often good). What I have found is during the last 5-6 months. I think I will start with sweaters and suits. I will post SC, ties and maybe shirts later. I intend to use all the clothing, but sometimes i by for my brother as well. I will try to list the approx price in US dollar. Here goes:[​IMG] 8 us

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]8 us YSL Cardigan. Looks old but I like it. 100% Lambswool

I do not need to wear a suit ever, but I love it

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Was expensive in thrift terms: 60 us dollar

GANT corduroy: I like Gant and it is considered high end here. 10 us dollar- Pants are at my tailor.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now for something else. Chester Barrie. Sleves need to be a bit longer. I am waiting untill the last 5 kg is gone in 2 months. 25 us dollar [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I hope you like my first post. And thank you all for learning me what to look for in a thrift.

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I have them running from 9.5 E (or EEE?) to 11 D but the only ones I'm willing to part with are one pair of Walnut Sanfords (I have 2 pair) and that's the 9.5 wides. All the rest are different and I rotate through them all.

I have never tried a pair on to know how they fit. I wear 30 X 30 in PRL khakis. Color doesn't matter too much but I already have a pair of J Crew in "brick" and some D1 dockers in electric blue. :lol:

Whatcha got?

:cheers:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

10. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

DB Blazer by Arnys.

Who knows how it made it all the way to LA.

Plus a solid navy tie by Gianni Campagna.

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

BTW...you guys can quit looking. I found my Harris Tweed hanging in the back door of the car with my leather jacket over it, sharing the same hanger!

Effin' idiot! :embar:

12. Jorgeezy

Jorgeezy Senior member

Love this! Nice find :)

13. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

Well done! Arnys anything is super-scarce.

14. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I've found that in relationships with 'the other side', opposition can often transform into fire in the bedroom...

15. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

That looks SWEET! Okay, you got me back in the game with that!

I did manage to find an interesting almost new Ike Behar shirt in Small. I can't recall the last IB shirt I picked up! Also, grabbed an additional lambs wool scarf from the Gap so that I have one for each overcoat and a lightly worn pair of Levis 501s in 30 X 32, still very dark indigo.

[​IMG]

PLUS,

SWMBO picked up a pair of Etienne Aigner shoes (the women's stuff is pretty pricey if new) to add to her collection, a brown, glen plaid woman's business suit and another pair of women's RL jeans. This was of great importance to me because if Momma's happy, Dig is happy, yanno?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.