1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Atlanta Goodwills have been giving me ties lately. I know this isn't another Chanel, but ...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Are you thinking of getting the sleeves lengthened? ;)

I think if you were following F.Corbera's City/Country thread a while back, you might agree that a check of that size puts that shirt pretty deep into the "Country" category. It says "Pair me with a Sport Coat, please." to me.

3. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

and savane...and Izod...and the three named Liz F-ing Claiborne...and BR, although I'm not too proud to admit I bring home the occasional BR if it fits a hole among staples I have...and their linen pants are pretty good, if you have above-average ironing skillz...

...nataku, since you confessed to vintage Sears obsession, I have been noticing lots of old stuff around, like the flannel shirts with the HUGE patterns so big they repeat, sat 1-1/2 times. What should I keep my eyes open for? I also see a lot with the vintage "Sears Roebuck" label...those are all too new because that was a 1970s nostalgia thing after your period of "what's interesting" ended, right?

The march to 30,000 continues. I have an idea for that special post: Nataku posting an all-vintage, all-thrifted Sears fit...THAT would capture the flavor of this thread. Furthermore, I am sure it would impress the Vox's and J's and Foos of the world watching over us, ha.

4. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

NICE. Well done. I am working with a pal who is a gem dealer in southeast Asia to create some custom cufflinks for me too. Do you sell on eBay, can you give me a seller handle I can bookmark and follow? I might jump in because some of those are cool (I'm not into the coin ones, but I understand their appeal to some people). Sweet chest, too, I do similar things with wooden cigar boxes.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  5. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

saw this and said 'wow, that's nice and would probably fit brianpore, dig et al 36-38 guys' then saw the 31$ price tag >,< (forgive me but the details have escaped me right now) I want to say it was part of a 3-4 sportcoat donation all Brooks Brothers 346 but I could be wrong!

also saw a 199$ Brooks Brothers suit and a 150$ Nautica suit that retails for like 225$. Yes, thats 199$ at a THRIFT store.

[​IMG]

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I doubt I'll lengthen the sleeves...I'll probably just end up offering it up here/in trading. It's a very nice shirt, but I'm sure I'll find another nice gingham like it eventually that fits me properly, since it's not worth the added expense.

Interesting. I'll check out Corbera's thread. Pattern-matching is a continuing difficulty for me; I have certain articles (shirts & ties, most often) I absolutely love as standalones, but haven't worn them even once as I have so much difficulty properly pattern-matching them. At this point, I feel like I have most of the pieces to the puzzle that I need, but haven't a clue of how to assemble them. Religiously reading the main WAYWRN thread has helped a bit, but it's still tough for me to assemble my own articles well when it comes time to act. I'll check out Corbera's thread, thanks.

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

Nat likes vintage Sears? I see that stuff pretty regularly. Makes me chuckle.

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

My wife wants me to sell, but at the moment I don't. I don't solder my links; I use Gorilla Glue. Occasionally that means they disassociate (read: break). I can live without the hate of angry messages and bad feedback.

But happy to trade ideas, tips, do some bespoke work (free of warranties), etc.

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Practical Thoughts on Coherent Combinations for Beginners

1 person likes this.
  10. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

That's a great looking suit. I think I agree with Dig on the check shirt, maybe something in white or light blue, then add a dark/hunter/forest green solid (grenadine if you've got it) tie. That would really pop.

11. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Is that the stuff that sells well to the asian ebay market?

12. catside

catside Senior member

I desperately need (yes, need) a pair of those evil eye cufflinks you make!!!

13. yarnsforth

yarnsforth Senior member

If you mean the black dot in the white circle, surrounded by blue, I believe that is the "good" eye, used to ward off the evil eye.

14. catside

catside Senior member

Yep. Wards off evil eye which actually does not need to be evil but can be an appreciating eye by a loved one who ends up jinxing it, or can be evil like from a jealous person who does not want the best of you etc. Old as earth stuff from Asia Minor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazar_(amulet)

15. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

16. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I keep a number of threads that are meaningful to me in a special thread linked to my ~Dig~ signature at the bottom of my posts.

He breaks it down quite well and illustrates his points as he goes. I try to keep these 'sliders' in mind when I dress.

[​IMG]

17. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

By "beginners," I think Vox is casting a pretty wide SF net, too. ALong the lines of "not Spoo or Vox." I exaggerate, of course...just saying I think there's a lot of ideas and inspirations in that thread for veterans, too, not just chumps like me. Helps me set the filter at thrift stores and reset the priority list of next-to-buy.

18. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

The funny thing (from what I understand) is a lot of the old timers think Spoo has stuff to fix (I blame his socks and his pocket squares ;) )

Then again, Spoo has nothing bespoke, (due to time constraints) so maybe comparing him to Vox or Manton isn't exactly fair. Just my .02

For the record, I like how Spoo dresses.

19. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Well, not defending Spoo or the old timers, but I have two observations:
    1) Like Dig acknowledged in his fit critique of me, earlier, we all have real world constraints in what we can wear, where and when. Strict trad is probably where we all wish to go, but if we got to that place and lived there, we'd be bored or mocked.
    2) Vox used Spoo pix in that thread as examples of "good," too, if I recall

Spoo, you're accessible -- you don't put yourself on a throne -- and yeah, you've got self-serving reasons to be everyone's pal...who'd buy from you if you weren't? :) But your lack of arrogance, at least dealing with the likes of me, and willingness to help n00bs makes you a folk hero, heh. And hell, if I could dress like Spoo, I'd be in a lot better place than where I am now.

Plus Spoo's gotten my back a couple times when some DB's have attacked me elsewhere on SF. I got ya back, brotha.

1 person likes this.
  20. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Double-breasteds? Douche bags? Inquiring minds want to know.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.