The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Anyone familiar with Malcolm Kenneth, New York? Found a really nice overcoat by them/him. Has a tag in in that says 43R but it seems to fit me w/o a coat on. Haven't tried it with.

Also found a interesting gamer thing called the "Book of id" Apparently only 10,000 of these were made:

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Id_Anthology

2. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Ideally, I'm a 39L in HF, but I can wear a 40R with some alterations

3. Greg613

Greg613 Senior member

Figured I would give Marshall's a shot and evidently the nice clothes haven't made it to Atlanta yet.

4. MattR

MattR Senior member

Grabbed a really nice BB Makers tie in silver/navy houndstooth. Looks pretty recent.

Went a little belt crazy today, since I never grabbed any before. Needed one for myself, since my belt just cracked a day ago and I start a new job Tuesday. For myself, I found a black Woolrich belt, made in the US. Also grabbed a black leather BB belt w/ gold buckle (size 40, so probably too big for me). The leather is still real nice, although it could use a buffing. The only issue is the tab that slips into the belt hole is a little loose.

Can you use the same stuff to shine shoe leather for belts? I'd really like to, if that's possible. Also, does anyone have experience buffing brass? They both could use some elbow grease to get them top notch.

Unfortunately, can't seem to find the Chester Barrie trousers. Probably at some other store and will just get moved around. The GWs around here have been shifting stock recently, since I re-saw a nice HSM Gold Trumpeter in my size, but like before, can't find the pants. Lost in the sea of donated goods....

5. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

Don't think so. It may stain your belt loop

6. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Some recent items to show off the HF orgy going on in my trunk this last week and to offer for sale before eBay. PM me quickly if you have any interest in a good price below eBay pricing before I get these listed here soon (listing today and tomorrow to start tomorrow night):

Hickey Freeman DB suit size 40R

[​IMG]

Hickey Freeman Customized Tailoring 40 Short w/ Flat Front Pants

[​IMG]

Gieves & Hawkes (made by HF) Dark Navy/Charcoal Flannel Piss-me-right-off Suit in 43L

I just sent FOUR HF/G&H suits to the tailor and then found this one and I like it better than the other four. I just love a nice medium weight flannel. I can't justify more tailoring costs so someone please buy this......fast.

[​IMG]

Gieves & Hawkes Bespoke Light Gray Suit 40R

[​IMG]

Canali Super 120s Jacket (presumably orphaned) - awesome 3 roll 2 size 54 (Euro) - I think it has enough panache to make is as a sport coat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MattR

MattR Senior member

I looked it up on the internetz, and some belt sites said you could, so I tried it out. No issues, so it's good to go. Thanks, though!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

8. Passat774

Passat774 Well-Known Member

found this nice Orvis shirt in my size today. Thanks to this thread I knew it was something good.

[​IMG]

9. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Checked the Marshall's out here. Ties saw Brooks Brothers and Vineyard Vines. Did see a BB suit in the clearance for $250...unfortunately it was a size 50.

10. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Thrifted the exact same shirt a couple years ago. Still in the rotation.

11. hikari013

hikari013 Senior member

Not a huge find, but I got two polo dress shirts today at a local thrift. Both are custom fit with the regent collar. No pocket and no pony.

[​IMG]

They are tagged 15/34 (purple) and 15.5/34 (blue), but the blue one's sleeves are pretty short. Probably like a 32. It also fits slimmer. The sleeves are too short for me and I can't wear it, so PM if anyone is interested. I'm keeping the purple one.

12. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

I did the same when visiting my parents in central FL. They had a stock of four ties. I think Marshalls tiers the stores and doesn't send the good stuff everywhere.

13. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

I grabbed a nice dark purple check the other day - same thing without the pony and without the pocket - and found it to be a very nice shirt. It's one of the only ones I have found recently that run fairly slim and won't need the sides tailored...

14. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

If it's nice have it cut down. Most experienced cobblers should be able to do that no problem and shouldn't cost too much.

15. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

Was gonna pick up a Burberry suit made of denimish material, pretty interesting but felt a size too big so I left it there. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.