1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow.......that's super recent too. With that said, I can't wait to get the hell out of California and back home. It's really bumming me out that I am out in the boonies and can't get out to the prime areas. That wasn't really the point of this trip, but it's one of those "so close, yet so far" situations. :brick:

2. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Its getting to be the time of the evening when a select few members start to post their epic finds, but hell, I'll share my semi-good finds anyways. This is my finds from the last week, since I don't have time to post daily. First some ties:

Thomas Pink, Thomas Pink, JPress (bull & bear?), Ted Baker

[​IMG]

Vintage Versace, vintage Missoni, vintage Etro with the $18 price still on it, vintage Viyella

[​IMG]

BB, BB, BB, BB, Robert Talbott (why did I buy this?)

[​IMG]

Barney's wool and cashmere. I'm really curious if anyone can tell who made this, because it seems very recent and nice.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Zanella Platinum glenplaid in size 34

[​IMG]

Zegna light blue/teal corduroys

[​IMG][​IMG]

Giorgio Armani Classico flat-front trousers. I know nothing about Armani stuff, so are these good?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another pair of wool/cashmere flat fronts in a brand I'm unfamiliar with in size 32. Seem nice though.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Z Zegna (S), Gitman Bros (found initials on inside of FC after purchased [​IMG]), Zegna Sport short sleeve linen (XL), Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit (16.5)

[​IMG]

Brioni sport, Etro, Etro

[​IMG]

Pringle (38), BB cotton and cashmere, Zegna (for me)

[​IMG]

Pal Zileri Abito Privato charcoal pinstripe suit(46-48L). Single vented, but appears recent.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Zegna Su Misura Trofeo side vented suit (size 46).

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vintage Nettleton burgandy wingtips (size 10). I was 99% sure when I bought these that they were shell, but now I'm beginning to doubt it. Any opinions?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Allen Edmonds Lloyd in size 7.5

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Wow... it took a long time to post all that.

3. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

To San Diego guys here:

What the hell has happened down there? Every thrift store was a complete bust - there are just way too many people. The two worst stores were the two AMVETS, one in Cardiff street and other Sutherland. Both had lines of around 40+ people before opening, car parks absolutely packed by 9:00am, and around 100 people in store by 10:00am. Tell me, please, what is going on in my favorite city ever for thrifting? I have never seen thrift stores so busy, and naturally, there is little / nothing to pick (other than some super duper expensive sport coats nobody could afford to pick). I went to San Diego in November, and picked loads of stuff and the stores were not really that busy. Now in March, it is fucking chaos!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  4. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

i know SD gets tons of tourists from nearby AZ/phoenix during the summer months (when it's 110+ degrees in phoenix) but i don't know if that's at play here, seems a bit early for zonies.

5. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Just out of curiosity, and forgive me if this has been answered before, but do you ever NOT find something good?

6. costanaconda

costanaconda Senior member

Groan. Had this jacket but no matching pants. Def. a suit. Grey with light blue stripe. Don't think it would work without the pants... Looked up the model number. Zegna mainline. Prob not worth getting, eh? I don't see any way to wear it without the pants...
    [​IMG]

7. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Don't sell yourself short man, this is better stuff than I find in a year... Nice finds! [​IMG]

8. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Yup, was in Phoenix last July, it was pretty toasty at 107 when I was there! Nothing is hotter than El Centro CA along the 8, my nuts reduced in sperm count by three orders of magnitude. 118 outside that one fine day, I remember driving through thinking, "if you lose it here, your in a world of hurt".

I guess spring break may have something to do with it, but logically speaking, people are normal and not like us - i.e. willing to queue before opening time. I was expecting thrift stores to be busier, but not crazy busy particularly first thing in the morning. Where we live in SF, it is quite busy, but usually if you turn up first thing before they open, you will only have a few people hanging out - not 40+ !

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

[​IMG]

10. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

That is awesome. Karma points for leaving some stuff for others.

11. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

HEY! Found this crisp, fresh from the dry cleaner's Vineyard Vines foursome (French cuffs) labeled 16-1/2 "R".

Up for grabs, I'm looking for a 40R linen or seersucker jacket as I am looking for something a little fun for the summah. Also, would consider equivalent 15-32/33 French-cuffed shirts are great or as always a 9D pair of shoes, try me.

Will consider cash offers...but you all know I prefer swappage. Hit me on the PM.

The one on the end is white with stripes (see closeup), it looks yellow because of a trick of the light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Madroaster

Madroaster Well-Known Member

Mirror shots are confusing. Took me a minute to figure out why the jackets were buttoned on opposite side.

13. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

These are some nice finds! If the repp ties (my fav) were 3.5" or smaller I'd be all over them but they look larger like most BB ties. I have too many shoes, but sent you a PM anyway as they are my size [​IMG]

WTF do you guys do, just have a folder on your desktop of funny gifs...oh wait, good idea, I'm starting one of those now.

14. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

gifsoup.com

15. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

PM'd :nodding:

16. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Let me Google that for you.

17. costanaconda

costanaconda Senior member

[​IMG]

18. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Can Wes come out and play?

Pretty Nice day.

Valentino Suit - sort of a stretch model 42R 34/30
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Tom James Gray Pin, for the smaller guys 43S 35/26
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Another Jom James for the smaller guys 43S 35/26
    [​IMG][​IMG]

HF Navy Pin for the really effin tall dudes. 46XL 40/34
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Austin Reed for the Average
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Brooks Brothers 46L 40/30 Gray Staple
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Brooks Stretch SC
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Brooks Camel SC 44R
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  19. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

[​IMG]

i see this tag fairly often...who makes this jacket?

20. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

according to the google machine, Gruppo gft:

"Founded: Established in Turin, 1887, as Donato Levi e Figli for production of men's off-the-rack clothing. Company History: Company purchased in 1925 by the Rivetti family who formed Gruppo Finanziario Tessile in 1930; GFT USA established, 1971; GFT Mode Canada established; 1983; manufacturers for Abboud, Armani, Dior, Fezza, Montana, Ungaro, Valentino, and others; also publisher of Il libro del sarto , 1987; L'abito della rivoluzione , 1987; Giornale delle nuove mode di Francia e d'Inghilterra , 1988; Apparel Arts , 1989; Ready-Made Fashion: An Historical Profile of the Clothing Industry in Great Britain, France and Germany , 1990; Women and Modernity: Fashions, Images, Female Strategies in Germany from the Beginning of the Century to the 1930s , 1991; Pagine e tavole del costume antico e moderno , 1992; company sold to Giovanni Agnelli's Gemina, 1994; Gemina restructured, Holding di Partecipazioni Industriali (HDI) becomes new parent of GFT, 1997; acquired Valentino house, 1998; bought Joseph Abboud, 2000. Company Address: Corso Emilia 6, 10152 Turin, Italy."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.