The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catside

catside Senior member

Pics of the shoes?

2. pneumo

pneumo Active Member

I found these Bally oxfords at goodwill. Hopefully they'll look better once I clean them up. :nodding:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

4. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

I'm about to get all pedantic up in this hizzy.... :)

I'm curious as to why people keep referring to stuff they almost find as a "near miss." Doesn't that mean that you almost missed but didn't? I'd think the phrase would be "near hit." :grammarnazi:

I haven't seen much at lately but haven't really been looking that much either. I have noticed that there are some disgusting people out there. I lived in Sicily for two years, in 100+ heat, wearing a white shirt and tie every single day (yes, I was a Mormon missionary) and not one of my shirts EVER had yellow stains on the collar or underarm. They ended up grey by the end of the two years for sure. But never yellow pit stains. WTF is with that? I saw shirt after shirt on the racks this past weekend that were more yellow than white.:puzzled:

5. mco543

mco543 Senior member

One of my local shops must've gotten a huge donation of either radio station or DJ vinyl. 2 shelves of nothing but techno/dance/whatever single LPs, club remixes, and promos. I really don't have much knowledge about vinyl from that specific genre so aside from a couple things from Wu-Tang, Fatboy Slim, and Destiny's Child there was nothing I'd ever heard of. All of them were in perfect like new shape (mostly because the oldest were from the mid 90's) and I really have no idea if there was a goldmine there or not but there sure was a shit ton of them.

They also got in a nice sized donation suits all from the same guy, purchased from the same shop, and every single one of them had some kind of funky crap on the pants whether its food stains, bleach, and what I'm really choosing to hope is some sort of sticky white condiment. Samuelsohn, Boss, and Brooks all wrecked.

Sigh.

6. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Stuff I mentioned earlier.

navy flat front Paul Smith slacks: 31 waist x 28.5 inseam. waist can be let out 1.5" inseam 1.5", too. plain cuffs. 100% wool.
    [​IMG]

Looking to trade for earthy toned flat front zanellas or similar. My waist is 34".

Allen Edmonds Fairfax. size is 10.5 B. one of the shoes has the beginnings of a hole. I may keep these, since they fit, but if someone really, really wants these let me know. Leather upper is soft and really pliable.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  7. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Solid day today.

Ties:
    Louis Vuitton
    Borrelli
    Recent Zegna x 2
    Paul Smith
    Charvet
    Drake's
    Ferragamo

Thinking of passing on the ties for cheap if anyone is interested.

Also picked up a H.Huntsman shirt in 16.5 if anyone is interested.

And a recent cashmere Fendi scarf, think it's a keeper.

8. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Are Fendi SC's worth the time? I came across a few today but passed because they looked like trash.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Merry new year!

:uhoh:

Dibs on all the ties. PM me pics! :)

10. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

I don't know what other would call near misses, but today there was a Hickey Freeman deconstructed/unconstructed/whatever jacket, Harris tweed. Went to try it on and all of the lining went into the sleeve with it. All of the lining was completely trashed:(

11. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Well, I went ahead and picked up that suit... handwork and hand-done pick-stitching all over the place, flower holder stitch on the back of the lapel, etc, etc - figured I should pick it up based only on quality.

Here's a couple more pics - anyone have any ideas? There's a label on it I thought was a store label, "Abla Fashion for Men" but that tag is also on the pants, so now I'm just confused. :lol: I'll post on the label thread if nobody knows.

The pics turned out kinda big so all but the first are spoilered - there's detailed flash-and-no-flash pics of the maker label in there ^^;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Were they 12" singles or LPs? 12" singles from that era are quite common. I see them all the time littering thrift stores and local 50 cent bins are the record shops.

13. mainy

mainy Senior member

14. mainy

mainy Senior member

then again that rectangular tag looks like the old interior brioni pocket tag. i'm still betting saint andrews tho

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.