The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

^^^ Son of a . . . .!

Yes, you win. Sweet find.

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

Wow, patch pockets AND handwarmer pockets... and pick stitching on the lapel! Nice. That's pretty unique.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:fu:

You got this for less than the RLPL ties at my local TJ Maxx!!

/Jealousy

Seriously though, amazing score! I'm surprised that this stuff gets marked down that far!

4. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

A pictoral followup to stuff I snagged this past weekend:

[​IMG]

Some Tyrwhitt shirts
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Canali SC, Brown/Gray Windowpane, Super 120s, Cupro lining, for Saks. No idea on the canvassing, I think maybe half?
    54R
    20" shoulder
    20.5" pit to pit
    33" arm length

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gieves & Hawkes SC, Tan/Beige/Brown Houndstooth/Birdseye (?) Windowpane
    70% Silk/30% Wool
    41R 2 button

19.5" shoulder
    20.5" pit to pit
    33" arm length

My first Saville Row piece...dunno if it's bespoke or if it was part of a suit. Bummer about the small stain in the right sleeve lining, but I think the cleaners could take it out?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burberrys 2 piece suit that I mistakenly announced as Prorsum. Nevertheless, still quite nice.

Light gray pinstripe SC
    39R
    19.5" shoulder
    20" p2p
    34" arm length

Trousers are 32 x 33 w/ 1.25" to let out
    9" leg opening
    11" knee width

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last one is a YSL Made in France. I believe it is a 3 piece suit, minus the pants, which I couldn't find anywhere in the store. I haven't heard much buzz about YSL, especially not the mid-80s, 90s suits. This one isn't particularly offensive, is vented, and has a nipped waist for a more tailored look. Any thoughts on pants to find to make it a complete suit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, and this Barbera FC 16 1/2

[​IMG]

Could anyone help me decipher that Gieves & Hawkes tag...I'd like to know if I did in fact miss the pants...maybe the same with the Canali.

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Man, does this thread move too fast. Just chiming in to say holy shit to those Common Projects someone found -- because I think no one else did.

So, uhm...

HOLY SHIT!

:nodding:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

I know where you live and what you look like :evilMr.Burnsfaceandhandslookwhenhe'stentinghisfingersallevillike:

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

WOW.

COME AT ME BRO :lol:

8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

AWESOME. You're definitely in the lead.

One thing I will caution is the price tag seems to be taped. I assume you'll flip regardless, but I have run into this problem when returning items to Marshall's in the past. On at least two occasions they have scanned the tag and come back saying either it's the incorrect tag for the item or that the tag has been deactivated.

Apparently there are some people out there that walk around switching tags on Marshall's merchandise and screwing people out of being able to return stuff. Then they take the more expensive tags and either attached them to cheap stuff and return or purchase the expensive item for cheap and then re-attach when they get home, only to return the item for the difference. One SA said they arrested a guy who took over $2k out of their register over a 3 month period by switching tags. Now their policy, at least at my location, is to not accept merchandise with damaged or tampered-with tags, even if you purchased the item in that condition. Just a PSA there.

9. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Picked up some Allen Edmonds Fairfax shoes in black 10.5 B, is there a B width? Maybe they said D, but I don't have the shoes in front of me. Were marked @ $20, but they gave them to me for $10 since one of them was developing a hole in the sole. Will need resoling. But they fit me ok(!)
    -Picked up a navy canali LS casual shirt. My first canali casual. It has that hidden button under the collars, nice. I'm keeping this since it's my size.
    -Got some Navy Paul Smith flat front pants. Wool. 31 or 32 waist. Looking to trade for some earth toned flat front Zanellas or similar.
    Passed on:
    -J Press 3 roll 2. Fit me a little big. Maybe a 44R. Split vent. Charcoal, I think. Are all Jpress's fused? This one was.
    -a mess of Hugo Boss dress shirts. Looked nicely finished but I don't know the quality of this brand overall.
    Will post pix of my purchases tonight.

10. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

who found common projects?

11. catside

catside Senior member

Newer JPress is generally fused but Pressidential lines may be half canvassed. There is interest in them regardless especially in those sizes. I like them for example :embar:

12. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

13. bourbonbasted

14. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

^ Why Ouch? If they are different sizes then it doesn't make a difference. TJ Maxx/Marshalls will never have a collection of stuff in different sizes and even the great stuff that is being found now is in very short supply. I said I'm not inspired by these great finds to stalk my nearest Marshalls and I stick to it. The chance of finding something in a normal size, color, price is hard to come by.

15. bourbonbasted

Not that his find would directly compete with the listing, more that an identical item is at Marshall's for less than a third of his asking price. I just think the seller on B&S would have been just as happy to not see this find surface.

That said I'm sure the OP will get a solid amount (certainly more than $70) on le bay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.