1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

haven't had much time for thrifting lately, but did find this oxxford owentsia jacket/orphan (anyone care to chime in?) a couple of days ago. tentative dibs are already called.

anyone know what this pattern is called? looks like a bunch of barbells.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

It's been done, without success. Anything as big and obvious and deep-pocketed as the eBay/PP monopoly is going to get some attention from lawyers, but the smattering of lawsuits, including anti-trust litigation, has resulted in nothing more than eBay allowing online payment services that no one has ever heard of, let alone uses. That a willing buyer and willing seller can't agree to use money orders or checks on eBay can't possibly be legal but, somehow, it is. Attorneys general should be all over this, but none are, even when PP freezes your funds for no reason other than a policy they cannot articulate.

3. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

[​IMG]

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

What are those?

5. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

Found a Hilditch and Key shirt, fine dark purple and white stripes, 17" collar (my size), great shape, less than $10. SCORE.

Got it home, buttoned it up -- fit great!

Then I realized that the sleeves weren't bunching up a couple inches north of my wrists, but were in fact that short.

Anyone a 17/32 or so? If not, I guess I'll be wearing this one as a casual shirt with the sleeves rolled up. :)

Oh, and is anyone (I estimate) a 15.5-16 with the initials T.G. or T.A.? Some guy donated a whole bunch of H+K bespoke shirts with his monogram on them.

6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Found this really nice Woolrich tweed shirt. I'm still debating whether to keep it or sell it on Ebay. It's essentially new with tags. I'm not a big fan of getting stuff dry cleaned, but I've been wanting a nice wool shirt. Came close a couple of weeks ago with a classic Pendleton shirt, but when I tried it on, it became apparent that it had shrunk. Anyone a medium with 25" arms?

[​IMG]

7. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

Florsheim Imperial Long wings in SHELL Cordovan. Just to make up for his mistaken purchase last week.
    [​IMG]

8. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

maybe...how are you taking your arm measurements? Shoulder to sleeve cuff?

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

That was the Pendleton shirt. I was being sarcastic. I have 32.5" sleeves, these came to a little past my elbows. I didn't buy that shirt.

The Woolrich shirt is a straight large (probably a vintage size, as most newer shirts, I am a medium) and fits me perfectly.

10. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

i'd keep it.

Woolrich makes nice stuff (for the most part) but the only things that sell well on ebay are WWM and, sometimes, Woolrich John Rich & Bros. If it fits well and you like it, keeping it will probably be better than the 10 or so bucks you'd make of ebay.

11. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

Quote:
    ah my mistake. sarcasm is occasionally lost on me.

On another note, found some Red Wing Boots Size 9D. They look to be hardly worn, if at all. Not sure if they are authenic or not as I can't find them online... Do you guys know any tell tale signs of fakes? They have some numbers on them 58041 & 206

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I'd be extremely surprised if Red Wings were faked. Someone smarter than myself can chime in though.

13. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

High gas prices? :D

14. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Made a run on my lunch break, picked up these Armani sunglasses:

[​IMG]

Nothing spectacular but I found a perfect fitting J Crew chino blazer for the spring here and a UK made wool cardigan for fall. Passed on an ugly blue and red Pringle Sport sweater and one other decent sweater I can't remember at the moment, both size 44.

Going to have to hit some thrifts this weekend since it appears Nataku is out of town and not beating me to everything... ;)

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:D

Good luck!

Speaking of which, we landed in SoCal yesterday and I couldn't believe the gas prices. $4.45 for regular! Yikes! That's almost $1 more per gallon than back home.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  16. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Big thanks for highlifeman for some cheap Allen Edmonds in my size!!!! A little elbow grease and as good as new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

Did you just use a suede eraser/brush or something else?

18. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

You still have to fight off Dahl ;)

19. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Just a suede eraser/brush. Nothing else, no chemicals.

20. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

On my lunch break... So close. Not B. Brioni but Briani
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.