The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

I did a double take on that ebay auction... I have that same exact shoe in an 11 C/E, from Uli Knecht and everything. I've doubled the guard on my closet. :paranoia:

2. hikari013

hikari013 Senior member

You have the missing left shoe??

3. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

No, I have a PAIR, in an 11C/E... but the seller might be a ninja who likes to purloin Uli Knecht models! :paranoia:

4. Nell

Nell Senior member

Found a pretty beat up D'avenza today. Pity, as it was quite nice.

Ended up buying a YSL Rive Gauche cashmere DB navy sportcoat. Unvented, so I'm guessing it's a bit old. Cashmere shows a bit of wear, but a beautiful piece. Size 44ish. Is anyone familiar with RG makers? From the tag, Zegna maybe?

5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

So in an effort to try and finally figure out where all the stuff at my Marshall's is coming from I was hoping we could play a tag identity game. Does anyone recognize this price tag? I'd say 90% of the awesome stuff at my Marshall's have this same tag attached. Some were saying Barney's is off-loading to them. Others say Wilkes Bashford. Hopefully someone will recognize and confirm.

So, any ideas?

[​IMG]

6. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

Good to hear. If anyone wants dibs shoot me a PM before I put these up on B&S.

7. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    That looks like a Barneys tag. Wilkes tags have "Wilkes Bashford" on them.

8. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

its a wikes tag or one of their store marios or mitchells

9. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

The specific/detailed knowledge of people here never ceases to amaze me. You all can recognize store tags.

Quote:

10. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

A gold watch is something men earned after years of service, so strange the man left it in the box, and on top of that the fact it ended up in a thrift store for 8$. These are the sorts of finds I yearn for. And Standard Oil is/was a pillar of the Oil industry, this watch is all sorts of awesome. I believe Standard oil became 'Chevron'.

thanks!

The AF is nice, but not anything particularly special. That was a standard tag in the mid 2000's.

11. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

been finding ballantyne cashmere sweaters lately at the local thrift... got one for me and one for my father in law for 16 total. some other cool things lately too... ill post some pics soon.

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Did a little thrifting while traveling over the holidays. I picked up these two fantastic shirts yesterday in Louisville (sorry, O!), both from the same donor.

The Isaia is tagged 17/43, measures to ~37 in the sleeves. The Robert Talbott Estate Bespoke is the nicest Talbott you've ever seen (or at least I've ever seen). Certainly on par with the Isaia. No tag, but measures to 17 x 35, double button cuff, super thick MOP buttons. I wish the Talbott was my size.

Both are available. I'll be listing them in B&S later.

[​IMG]

Nice thrift story: My wife and three daughters were with me in the thrift store in Louisville. An older woman approached my wife, complimented my daughters' behavior, said she had been very blessed in life and reached out a $10 bill, telling my wife to buy the girls each a pair of shoes. Now we didn't think to rub dirt on their cheeks or anything before we went in, so I don't think they looked particularly needy. My wife refused the money despite the woman's insistence. She eventually handed the $10 to my 5-year old daughter (who will take money from strangers, apparently) and walked off.

The $10 more than covered the shirts above. :slayer:
    (^Joke. My wife was already buying them shoes and other things. The shirts were purchased from my Paypal account.)

13. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

The clearance rack at Marshall's strikes again! Snagged these beauties:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Kiton is up for grabs, size 15.75. I'll probably throw it on the bay in the next couple of days.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  14. NORE

NORE Senior member

Where the Flux are you guys finding these Marshall's with this stuff. There are at least 4 Marshall's close range to me and I'm not scouring each of them.

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

What was the original retail price on the Luciano Barbera? I've got 3 I picked up in a thrift that are gonna go up on the bay when I can post items again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.