Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

An asking price and a sold price are 2 different things.... I can't see these going for more than like $50 or so, but with some good pics maybe more. These are a pretty high waisted, long rise jean, from 1993 or so, not that nice looking on. Don't get tooooo worked up about it.

2. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

I would stockpile the nicer items and start building positive feedback by buying items you need to purchase anyhow through eBay and by selling lower value items such as Brooks Bros. dress shirts where you are just making $10 per pop. The risk is low to the buyer and you can gain some credibility over 2-3 months and then hit the market with your stash of higher value merch.

3. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

What Boogers said.

4. SnarlPatrick

SnarlPatrick Senior member

PICS! Thats awesome. I've never found a decent watch thrifting.

5. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Yeah, I only did a little research, but I think this is one of the lower value ones. It is a manual wind (which I actually like) and I think it may be gold plate rather than solid gold. But until I take it to my jeweler to take a look, I don't really know much about it. It appears to be unworn, started right up when I wound it and is keeping good time so far. There is an inscription on the back: "Presented to SL McLish to honor his 30th anniversary with Standard Oil Company of California Family - May 1974" The two chevrons on the watch face I believe are the Stardard Oil logo. Anyway, a couple of pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I doubt I will keep it, so if anyone is particularly interested, PM me.

6. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Whew...that's why I only took pics instead of buying them. They looked pretty dated. I could still swing by but now, I'll pass and check back on senior citizen discount day next week. Thanks.

This makes some good sense. I'm on it. [​IMG]

7. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

This is one of the most important things people need to learn about the bay... especially newbies (no offense). Just because someone out there is trying to sell a pound of flour for $500 does not mean that every pound of flour is worth that - or even that HIS pound of flour is worth that. Have a realistic view of the value of your stuff. If you want to set a high price and take offers as a strategy, that's fine, but don't be disappointed when you have trouble moving things.

Tl; dr: don't expect high prices just because you want them to be high. You'll consistently be surprised by what will sell high, and items you thought would go high will sell for relatively little. It's just part of the nature of it.

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Ace that's a cool lookin Hamilton... any close ups?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

9. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

The pics I posted are about the closest I can get. I don't have a macro lens for my camera and the scanner is at the office.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Thrifting in Florida is depressing, the only place I have found with gems is Nordstrom Rack. Picked up Canali lined wool trousers, with a very nice texture, for $70.

11. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Another pretty good day for me!

I figured someone in my stomping ground would take the hint when I said I might have left a few Oxxfords, but apparently not, as I found another SC and another suit [​IMG]. Same deal as the others: suit is black super 100s, surgeon cuffs, double breasted, unvented, peak lapels. The SC is navy "Golden Fleece" (didn't know Oxxford had a GF line), surgeon cuffs, double breasted, unvented, peak lapels. The SC is missing a sleeve button, but from what I'm reading Oxxford is apparently really good about providing replacements, so I might give them a call to see what I can do. (Note: this was definitely an SC, as Oxxford identifies their SCs as such in the pocket tag)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Next found a super recent dark navy Brooks Brothers "Stretch" suit. Normally would pass this over, but it's SUPER recent (tagged Spring 2009), in perfect condition, and my size so if it doesn't sell, I'll just keep it.

[​IMG]

Found this John W. Nordstrom jacket, which I usually pass up, but it was my size, 100% cashemere, and feels absolutely amazing. I thought it was an SC at first but I'm beginning to think it might be a suit jacket, so I'll probably have to head back to look for the pants.

[​IMG]

Oh, and then I noticed this when I got to the register to check out [​IMG]:
    [​IMG]

Last but certainly not least, my first ever Kiton anything!!! Excellent heavy 7-fold (right? see pics) ties. Super nice.

[​IMG][​IMG]

EDIT: On second thought, this might not be a sevenfold, is it? Is it just an unlined tie? I still don't entirely know how to distinguish a sevenfold.

12. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

I have to post about this - the most amazing donation I've seen in over a decade of thrifting:

First spot is this patch pocket Brioni suit with the hanger:

[​IMG]

Then another in blue:

[​IMG]

Then two slub silk Brioni brown suits:

[​IMG]

Then some Loro Piana for variety:

[​IMG]

Outerwear? We got that too...

[​IMG]

Footwear? How about Berlutis with trees?

So, who to thank for this largesse?

[​IMG]

Need more of a clue? Perhaps the name inside the bespoke Huntsman suits will solve the mystery:

[​IMG]

I should make clear that everything was priced at market rates (i.e. they knew what they had) so I didn't buy anything. However, I'm still pretty floored. Even the shirts were Charvet.

13. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Ooops, double post.

14. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

Eric Clapton?

15. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Holy hell. [​IMG]

EDIT: Also, I'd love to know what you mean by "market prices". I can see the $200 tag for the LP jacket, but how much was the Huntsman, Brionis, and LP suits?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.