• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_20111230_164404.jpg

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
The aforementioned 1865 leather bound King James bible I found on Monday.

The inscription reads:

“This Bible was presented by the Rev.d Thomas Howard to Christian Corwin for committing to memory a select portion of Scripture. January 1. 1865 John V. 39.
‘Search the Scriptures’. “

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice find Robbie. Check into having it rebound. It deserves it.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Church's Custom grade brown Camden boots
Zegna recent corduroy shirt
Steven Alan reverse seam shirt... kinda an off white color, size large it's for trade!
Zegna by incotex recent khaki pants

Not much but better than nothing

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Steven Alan reverse seam shirt... kinda an off white color, size large it's for trade!

I'll trade you my "not much" for your "not much" any day of the week.

gdwy89

Reaction score
Earlier this week I found a three piece navy pinstripe suit in my size. It was made in Colombia by a company I'd never heard of, but it was canvassed, my size, and $8 so I thought I'd take a chance. Anybody else ever picked up anything by Don Robbie? My Googlefu revealed he designed for Pierre Cardin and Yves Saint Laurent back in the 60s and early 70s, had his own label between 1974 and 1985, and, as of a little over a decade ago, had pretty much lost his mind.

A few suits, a few jackets and a pair of Alden 911 (tan demi-brogue) in 12D.....barely used. Someone save me the trouble of eBay if you are interested in the shoes. Oh.....and a dollar. Flipping through suits I heard a familiar crinkle and it was a dollar bill in the pants pocket. Reminds me of the suit I purchased at Goodwill that had a little tin full of pills in it, which was exciting until I googled them and found they were for Parkisons which is both sad and lacking in any recreational use.

Must...resist.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few suits, a few jackets and a pair of Alden 911 (tan demi-brogue) in 12D.....barely used. Someone save me the trouble of eBay if you are interested in the shoes. Oh.....and a dollar. Flipping through suits I heard a familiar crinkle and it was a dollar bill in the pants pocket. Reminds me of the suit I purchased at Goodwill that had a little tin full of pills in it, which was exciting until I googled them and found they were for Parkisons which is both sad and lacking in any recreational use.

A recent Oxxford I thrifted had both, several pills (antidepressants) and $65 in cash.flushed the pills, kept the cash!

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score

Nice find Robbie. Check into having it rebound. It deserves it.

Could any bookbinder do this? Would it be a specialty service or something I could find in most places? I do want to have it re-bound as it's showing it's age a bit.

D.B.Cooper

Reaction score
Nataku and I hit eight stores in our whirlwind tour of Twin Cities thrifts today. I had my best day ever. Lots of solid, if unspectacular, finds.

Found five Brook Brothers Makers ties in a variety of useful colors.

Four more ties here (L to R): Two Robert Talbott, Canali, and Brioni. That's my first thrifted Brioni tie.

A couple really useful gray pullovers (Top to Bottom): Pal Zileri wool and Brooks Brothers merino wool. Both fit perfectly.

Cashmere sweater from Bloomingdale's. Not technically thrifted, but picked up for $25 at an outlet.

Really soft, 100% wool Lands' End trousers. I'm not sure what to wear with these yet, but they're sweet.

Basic, no frills HSM suit that will fill a nice niche in my work wardrobe. It's no Brioni, but I won't be laughed out of the office either.

All around great thrifting day with Nataku. It was really fun to hit the stores with a kindred spirit. I highly recommend it! I think we covered the stores more completely with both of us looking and sharing finds. Twin Cities thrifters, we need to organize some sort of meet-up.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pics and size of boots, please.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those Land's End pants look really nice. What's the quality of their stuff now? I really haven't worn anything from them since junior high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics