• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

valium

Reaction score
Just got back from my daily lunch thrift excursion. Picked up a fairly recent Hickey Freeman Suit in my size and a few pairs of shoes...Vintage Hanover and Bostonian.

Several ties, most of no great significance except one I picked up out of curiousity. Its one of those pin-up girl tipped ties. It is the doghouse pattern with the golf clubs, beer mugs and playing card pattern. I saw one was mentioned and described on SF back in '07. Very cool, first time I've seen one.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/48617/i...tie-with-bikini-woman-hidden-on-back-of-blade

Here are some crappy iphone pics. It looks black in the photo, but it is actually dark blue.

goodwill at islington/dundas right?
i looked at it but passed,the poly turned me off

valium

Reaction score
goodwill at dundas/islington right?

i actually looked at it but the polyester turned me off

D.B.Cooper

Reaction score
Anybody know this label? Is it any good?

mco543

Reaction score

Picked up an interesting pair of vintage western spurs tonight for flipping. Anyone know anything about spurs or know someone who does?

Are they Garcia? From what I remember watching Storage Wars those are supposed to be valuable.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Finally finally finally found a suit that might work at the thrift....would be the 1st one for myself in over a year of thrifting, BUT it's understandable as I've come to the realization that even most 36S suits are too BIG for me. That being said, I found this Brooks Brothers 36S (not tagged, but my best guess, or is it really a 38 based on the measurements??) suit with flat front pants. Can anyone tell the age from the tag? I just know it's older then the current stuff but no clue how old. Fully canvassed and half lined. The material feel is not that great (nothing like super 110's+ that I've felt recently) but the condition of the suit is really really good and its a pretty basic staple gray pin. This does not hold a candle to most of the big finds here but I was pretty excited, although I'm still not 100% sure I'm keeping it as I think the shoulders are prob too big
frown.gif
. Need to get some fit pics this weekend into the tailor thread.

Measurements are:
Chest: 20.25
Shoulder: 17.75 (I really need a 16.5-17)
Sleeve: 22.5
Length BOC: 29.5
Waist: 15.5
Inseam: 29.5

Last edited:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Me too! I cant find any makers marks on them. Not sure if the accents are nickel or silver. Just couldn't leave them at the GW.

Hell no...anything related to horses is high dollar.

MattR

Reaction score

Finally finally finally found a suit that might work at the thrift....would be the 1st one for myself in over a year of thrifting, BUT it's understandable as I've come to the realization that even most 36S suits are too BIG for me. That being said, I found this Brooks Brothers 36S (not tagged, but my best guess, or is it really a 38 based on the measurements??) suit with flat front pants. Can anyone tell the age from the tag? I just know it's older then the current stuff but no clue how old. Fully canvassed and half lined. The material feel is not that great (nothing like super 110's+ that I've felt recently) but the condition of the suit is really really good and its a pretty basic staple gray pin. This does not hold a candle to most of the big finds here but I was pretty excited, although I'm still not 100% sure I'm keeping it as I think the shoulders are prob too big :( . Need to get some fit pics this weekend into the tailor thread.

Measurements are:
Chest: 20.25
Shoulder: 17.75 (I really need a 16.5-17)
Sleeve: 22.5
Length BOC: 29.5
Waist: 15.5
Inseam: 29.5

That chest/shoulder measurements sound closer to a 38. I know I take a 20.75-21 chest and about 19" in the shoulders, and I'm really more of a 40S. The pants seem about right for a 38, too.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rollafan I want your neighbor! :D

Didn't find much today but it was still a good day:

NWT Brooks Brothers merino wool quarter zip in my size
FINALLY a shoe WIDTH stretcher - I think it's meant for smaller sizes or maybe for ladies(?) but it'll work just fine. Have an instep stretcher already but the width is often what I need since I wear 11D-11E. Buck ninety-nine too - that's less than I've paid for beat up old shoetrees before!
Pink Vineyard Vines polo to throw on the bay in the spring/summer to pay for gas

Had a real heartbreaker though - a 50R(40R US) Corneliani 3 roll 2, side vented, beautiful windowpane suit in super 100's fabric... with no pants to be found. Almost picked the jacket up alone but Corneliani is too dicey a sale to really justify that, I think. Could probably pick it up tomorrow if anyone thinks that's worthwhile.

Best score of the day, though: a Settlers of Catan board game to play with some friends. Everything was still there in the plastic, my guess is someone got it as a gift but was intimidated by the looks of the gameset & rules, and donated it. :D Ninety-nine cents in the kids' game section! Link for those of you who don't know what it is: http://www.amazon.com/MayFair-Games-MFG3061-Settlers-Catan/dp/B000W7JWUA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads