• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
Score! This is what I like to call the motherlode find! You definitely made a good decision on picking all of them up, vented or not. I know a lot of guys on here who don't care about vents. You shouldn't have a problem moving them.

Can vents be tailored into a suit??

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you ever seen anything good at TJ Maxx or Marshalls here?

I've picked up a clearance Valentino tie and maybe another item or two but that's about it for myself. The Pittsford Marshalls gets premium merchandise when it's available - which sort of answers the previous question about where the good stuff goes. Stopped there yesterday and they do have some Versace ties for $79.99. :embar: I have seen more in big cities than cow towns and then within a certain region there seems to be preferred stores for the top end merchandise. Sometimes I pick up premium items to flip on Ebay; just purchased another Affliction Limited Edition Motorcycle jacket there I hope to double my money on. This would be my 5th or 6th flip of these...

Unfortunately I have found selling motorcycle jackets and the sort to be a different experience from selling suits when there is a dispute or issue. :)

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've picked up a clearance Valentino tie and maybe another item or two but that's about it for myself. The Pittsford Marshalls gets premium merchandise when it's available - which sort of answers the previous question about where the good stuff goes. Stopped there yesterday and they do have some Versace ties for $79.99.
shog[1].gif
I have seen more in big cities than cow towns and then within a certain region there seems to be preferred stores for the top end merchandise. Sometimes I pick up premium items to flip on Ebay; just purchased another Affliction Limited Edition Motorcycle jacket there I hope to double my money on. This would be my 5th or 6th flip of these...
Unfortunately I have found selling motorcycle jackets and the sort to be a different experience from selling suits when there is a dispute or issue.
smile.gif

I concur...I sold a Snap-on racing jacket a few weeks ago for a decent return. The overall experience of dealing with the buyer will deter me from dealing in those types of items anymore. However, I have found all of my experiences selling shoes and suits to be more rewarding, as the buyers typically are much more pleasant...even if there is a issue to be resolved.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Almost didn't go out today, glad I did. First stop:

Oxxford suit, Oxxford suit, Oxxford suit, Oxxford suit, Oxxford suit, Oxxford suit, Oxxford suit. Yes, that's seven Oxxford suits. Relatively recent (all tagged various months in 1996), 4 with working cuffs, 1 super 120s, 4 super 100s. All are attractive/staples colors, and all are in excellent condition. All 6-button double breasted with peak lapels, and unvented (the not so great :-/).

They're VERY close to fitting me - perfect in the chest/waist (I actually love unvented suits), but the sleeves are a bit short :-/. I'm going to see if they're tailorable and might keep a few.

Was picking up the Oxxfords a good call even though they're unvented? They were a good deal at 25% off today, so I definitely don't think I'll lose money on any of the ones I decide not to keep.
Depends on how much they were originally. 25% off of $100 is not as good a deal as 25% off $25. I can't see how you wont make a bunch of money. Double breasted suits seem to be in much less supply (good or bad) but also less demand, funny how that works lol, but I only see 2 preowned DB on ebay right now.

Quote: This is when your suppose to spend the next hour tearing the store apart for every single item that guy donated. Only had one day like this so far in a year of thrifting.

I thought I had a good day thrifting, nothing super awesome but a good day and then I come back and see this
thumbs-up.gif

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
25% off of less than $25 each...so, good deal, I take it :-D

I actually think the same guy donated the Gieves and Hawkes I found across town at a different place (similar size, also unvented).

Depends on how much they were originally. 25% off of $100 is not as good a deal as 25% off $25. I can't see how you wont make a bunch of money. Double breasted suits seem to be in much less supply (good or bad) but also less demand, funny how that works lol, but I only see 2 preowned DB on ebay right now.

This is when your suppose to spend the next hour tearing the store apart for every single item that guy donated. Only had one day like this so far in a year of thrifting.

I thought I had a good day thrifting, nothing super awesome but a good day and then I come back and see this
thumbs-up.gif

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is when your suppose to spend the next hour tearing the store apart for every single item that guy donated. Only had one day like this so far in a year of thrifting.

+1. If I find more than one nice thing that couple possibly be from the same donor, the store gets turned upside-down. Where there is smoke, there is fire. :teach:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I concur...I sold a Snap-on racing jacket a few weeks ago for a decent return.  The overall experience of dealing with the buyer will deter me from dealing in those types of items anymore. However, I have found all of my experiences selling shoes and suits to be more rewarding, as the buyers typically are much more pleasant...even if there is a issue to be resolved.

Care to share about the experiences?

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7 Oxxford suits? Step 1: quickly purchase them before there is a power outage or something ridiculous and you cannot buy them. Step 2: look at every single other item in the store.

Sometimes items jump off of the shelf. Gieves & Hawkes 100% Silk jacket that needs to be shown for the color. :slayer: 48R

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lets see,

A while back I had a innaccurate shoe width in a listing that resulted in a return. The buyer was very understanding, and actually became a return customer a few times.

Then there was a happy customer who actually turned me on to SF, and this specific thread. Glad he did, I have learned so much here.

I have made many friends from buying and selling shoes online. We consult each other about what may or may not be a good deal, or if we found something in the other man's size.

etc...

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lets see,

A while back I had a innaccurate shoe width in a listing that resulted in a return. The buyer was very understanding, and actually became a return customer a few times.

Then there was a happy customer who actually turned me on to SF, and this specific thread. Glad he did, I have learned so much here.

I have made many friends from buying and selling shoes online. We consult each other about what may or may not be a good deal, or if we found something in the other man's size.

etc...

I meant the racing jacket :laugh:

MattR

Reaction score

Almost didn't go out today, glad I did.  First stop:

Oxxford suit, Oxxford suit, Oxxford suit, Oxxford suit, Oxxford suit, Oxxford suit, Oxxford suit.  Yes, that's seven Oxxford suits.  Relatively recent (all tagged various months in 1996), 4 with working cuffs, 1 super 120s, 4 super 100s.  All are attractive/staples colors, and all are in excellent condition.  All 6-button double breasted with peak lapels, and unvented (the not so great :-/).  

There might still be some there...I got overwhelmed when I kept finding them and just stopped after I got this many.  They're VERY close to fitting me - perfect in the chest/waist (I actually love unvented suits), but the sleeves are a bit short :-/.  I'm going to see if they're tailorable and might keep a few.

Was picking up the Oxxfords a good call even though they're unvented?  They were a good deal at 25% off today, so I definitely don't think I'll lose money on any of the ones I decide not to keep. 

Score! Those should move pretty well, either here or on ebay. I've noticed higher-end DB suits have been selling pretty well on ebay lately.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not the person you quoted, but my experiences selling Affliction NWT and similar items as compared with selling used shoes and dress shirts:

- buyers less likely to pay
- many more 0 feedback eBayers interested
- buyers more likely to have unreasonable expectations (hey this didn't arrive and I bought it yetsterday!!!)
- communication more likely to be accusatory and downright nasty, though more often it's non-existant
- don't expect to be contacted first if there's an issue. You'll just get negged and have a SNAD case logged against you

I don't think I have ever had a transaction with shoes (knock on wood) in all of my 100+ shoe sales that approaches the dozens of experiences I have had selling a similar number of items in these other areas. Not that I have come out of every situation 'on top' but I have always at least felt like I was dealing with someone on the other end with whom I could communicate.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh..Ok.

Sold it on the 15th (Thu). Was headed out of town for the weekend, so I sent my unpaid buyers emails to pay by 16th (Fri) or they may have to wait until Monday for shipping. The jacket buyer did not pay until the 17th (Sat). I returned home Sunday and processed the order for priority shipping on Monday. The package was estimated to be delivered on the 21st, but due to the holiday was running late. I received a rather rude, grammatically incorrect, email on Friday the 23rd, questioning the delivery. Somehow, even with several cocktails in me, I managed to send a polite and professional reply. Saturday morning, the buyer responded rudely again, accusing me of dishonesty. I sent him a copy of the email I had sent him the week before, as well as a copy of the shipping label to prove I had indeed shipped priority. Then I drove to the P.O. to ask about the tracking there. By that time it was on te truck out for delivery. It was delivered on the 24th, 3 days late, but still before Christmas.

In addition, the buyer never indicated he needed the package by Christmas. I would have recommended Overnight shipping. Ahh the hoidays.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads