• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

datsunfan

Reaction score
Today was a really good day. I got a Zegna Sport leather jacket. It looks like it has never been worn.

IMG_57001-1.jpg

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jkidd, redwings are usually a size bigger if my memory serves right so...

Did a search last night and supposedly these run TTS. Anyway I ended up buying them and they are going to be a X-Mas gift to my father in law ....who wears a 10 in Red Wing. Mainy is the man and is getting them out right away...so hopefully they'll get here Saturday.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wonder if those 48L HF are from the same guy who donated the ones I picked up. Where did you find the pocket square? I almost never find those... Was it with the women's scarves and such?

Did you pick up 4 Hickey's today at about 6PM? If so I just missed you...

Pocket square was at Savers with the pocket squares; first one I have found.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sure, I'll still check out Spoo's threads and hope he gains weight over the holidays :devil:

Thank you, I appreciate your support. :)

I make more money, but I don't like it,

:confused: My brain does not compute.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you pick up 4 Hickey's today at about 6PM? If so I just missed you...
Pocket square was at Savers with the pocket squares; first one I have found.

Nope, didn't go today. I picked up several over the weekend though, but that was at Goodwill.

rayxlui

Reaction score

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Funny story...I picked up a few ties at the thrift today. One I had never seen the logo before so in a hurry I grabbed it just on the off chance I could figure it out. I just opened the bag to check it out and this is what I found. Duh! Glad I at least picked it up. My first Hermes...completely by accident! And here I thought I had a crappy day.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! I went away for a few days and when I get back, 222 unread posts! You guys are finding some amazing things just in time for the Holidays! I went to a few Marshall's and a T.J. Maxx the other day but the only ties that were interesting were by Ben Silver for 24.99, did not grab. I also only had a chance to hit one store quickly before a lunch meeting. Found a few BB staple shirts in my size and a nice BB Golden Fleece SC with Super 130's Loro Piana Fabric size 46R, but the thrift store employs thought it was more of a L - I haven't had the chance to measure it yet.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to sell this tie on the bay, anyone know how I can get selling limits lifted? I have been selling for 6 years with 100% feedback. This has never happened before.

Funny story...I picked up a few ties at the thrift today. One I had never seen the logo before so in a hurry I grabbed it just on the off chance I could figure it out. I just opened the bag to check it out and this is what I found. Duh! Glad I at least picked it up. My first Hermes...completely by accident! And here I thought I had a crappy day.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude... that brooks brothers jacket is killer. You are going to clean up on ebay with that thing! B2 stuff with that kind of age has been selling for crazy money lately, please list that thing so we can see what happens :slayer:

Dang, I blow past this stuff all the time without a second thought.......

BTW Nataku - since you seem to see a bit of Steven Alan, what the heck do I even call that shirt for Ebay purposes? Half-button-up? :confused:

As bourbonbasted said, their most common associated term is called the "popover" or "pullover".

TheWGP, I had some of my steven alan shirts on Ebay and they were a bust. Maybe, wait for warmer weather.
Great shirts though.

Yeah, the market definitely fluctuates. A couple years ago I sold a couple pre-owned reverse-seam SA shirts for about $60 a pop. I sold those ones a few months ago and couldn't even give them away. Not sure what gives? They're still relatively expensive and made in the USA.

Anyway, I hit the stores today and it was pretty much a big disappointment. Also stopped at the Lands End Inlet to inquire about possible old-stock Willis & Geiger / Viyella stuff floating through. They said few and far between was an understatement. They had a W&G shirt come in a couple months ago in a box of overstock shirts and had it priced at $90 ($200-something retail). I guess it sold as they couldn't find it in the store. They were so surprised I even knew what Willis & Geiger was. The regular employee gave me a "deer in the headlights" look when i asked about it and had to get the manager. The manager and a long-time staff member knew but asked me several times how I knew about it.

Hit another store and they had about 5 D/B Dunhill suits/jackets. Really nice glen-plaid suits. Lots of pick-stitching. Only one was side vented. Just wasn't feeling them, so they got left behind. The same donor donated two Oxxford suits. Both recent. One gray Fawnskin flannel and the other a light gray nailhead. No pants to be found anywhere. Turned the store upside-down. Sad thing is, the flannel one (nicest of the two) was side vented, 6/2 button, mint condition and still had the inspector label in the pocket. The other kicker: it had the pants hanger (empty, obviously) attached to the jacket hanger, which leads me to believe the pants were once on there. :fu:

I did grab the flannel Oxxford jacket in hopes of coming across the pants, though the chances of that are slim to none.

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just a reminder about the eBay black list. Currently have about 30 SF members and almost 280 ID's. You can see all the information below.

Over the past few weeks there has been a lot of discussion in the Official thrift/discount store bragging thread about creating a space on Styleforum where the members who do a lot of eBay buying and selling can create a collection of eBay user ID's of scammers, cheats, scoundrels or just other wise crappy eBay's who other members should be aware of and could add to there personal eBay user to ID Blocked Bidder/Buyer List. I recently had a situation that pissed me off enough to take it upon myself to initiate a list. With a great suggestions from "ChetBakerSings" & "TheWGP" (credit where credits due), a google document spreadsheet was born. To safeguard the list so that the scammers can not google it and change their ID or erase their name, it is not password protected, but instead invite only, and only the people's gmail addresses that are in the permission list can access the document.

Unfortunate IMO this list will not be open to newer SF members due not knowing them (I am very open to changing what I feel is fair to be included in the list if there is a consensus in the discussion that follows). For now though, you need to have 250 posts (relating to B&S is better) OR be a member for a least 6 months with some sort of history and quality posts. I am taking a lot of my time to try and verify each request I receive but feel that is the only way to safeguard the list in the future. If you have extenuating circumstances please feel free to contact me.

PLEASE NOTE: To be included on this list, please PM me your gmail address. If you open the link and click "Request access", I receive an email in my gmail inbox. This does me no good as I can not match a random gmail email address to a SF member ID and therefore can not determine who to add to the list. These "request" emails are automatically deleted

Click Here for "The Official SF eBay Black List"

do you manage the block list? so i should PM you for access?

and i am still baffled by how you guys find such gems at your thrift stores
i have not tried thrifting much... but still... it's just mind boggling
i want to give it a try next month

JohnSCurry

Reaction score
I'm a rookie on this board so please grant me grace if I break some sort of etiquette.

I live in Kansas. I'm 28. I'm just learning how to dress well over the past year. I'm 6'8" and I weigh about 270 lbs. I'm in non-profit work. This can be a problem because I like nice things.

Being both relatively unwealthy and exceptionally gigantic forces me to be a responsible steward of anything nice that I own because I don't have the luxury of replacing things very frequently or easily. I've had to learn how to make alterations on my own garments and while there's virtue in that, it's not common for guys in their 20s to spend some evenings sewing and stitching (I blame Sansabelt).

I also go to thrift stores quite often. I've found lots of nice things but like I said, this is Kansas. "Nice" things I find in the stores are BB sportcoats, Zegna trousers with no moth holes, or a pair of AEs that, of course, I can't fit my size-17 feet into so I buy for $8 to flip on Ebay.

Sunday afternoon, I was making one of my bi-monthly trips to the Goodwill store an as I was flipping through the sportcoats, I found this guy:

It was $5.

It's clean, without holes, double vented, and a 60L. For me to find something so nice in my size is a miracle. It actually fits my frame. (However, if I opt to keep it, I'll need the sleeves let out as much as possible and they'll still be short). My guess is that one of our local, former-NBA Jayhawks picked it up out west. Finding it made my week.

Any thoughts? Do any of you gentlemen have an idea of what it may have cost in the retail store?

I assume it's too large for most of you so I feel safe in asking this: Do you have any thoughts on where I should set the reserve price if I do put it up on Ebay? I'm new there too and I don't want to expect too much or too little...

I'll put up better pics of somebody asks for them as well as photos of the other things I've found. There are lots of nice things in second-hand shops around here. With a little coaxing, I'll be encouraged to purchase things I cannot wear more frequently. I passed up a spotless, pinstripe HF suit (it was HF for Woolf Bros- is that a diffusion line?) the other night because I already had two armsfull of things and it was too small for me.

Sadly, I've never come across the oft-mentioned Kiton/Brioni/Oxxford/Ferregamo/etc business I see mentioned all the time here. It is Kansas, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads