The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mainy

mainy Senior member

I think that jacket is especially ebayable because it has basically every single desirable feature one would look for in vintage brooks brothers. Also is side vented, which is very weird, and a common size. Just a hunch on my part though.

2. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Didn't see any of those ties that have been turning up at various TJMaxx's lately, but did see a couple of Gitman Gold buttondowns, pink, non-iron, marked 16x34 and 16x35, $15 each. Let me know if anyone wants me to proxy.

3. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

On paper, the new system would appear to be much better. However, it is too much hassle to just browse through listings. I used to check it several times a day. Now I don't look at it at all.

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I will say I have kopped some gems lying in plain site because a lot of people don't even bother anymore. I'll agree the old way was more exciting/engaging, but I seem to get better deals. Honestly I'd think the "sifting through" facet would appeal to the thrifting community here. Granted the prices are far different.

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Yeah, I can see that. I often use it to search for specific stuff I want, but even with the advanced search setting (limiting by time posted, number of replies, etc.), the search function is still very hit or miss and it's very difficult to find exactly what you want. Was there ever any talk from the admins about reverting back to the old system, or are they satisfied with the fees they're taking in now and unlikely to change things?

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

FYI, there is an entire section of the forum dedicated to talking about the new changes, suggestions, problems, etc. I myself am bad about getting off topic in thread but just wanted to let you know. That being said; admins said they arent going back and it's not due to the fees (which I think they have every right to collect and make money, they spend a ton of time and should profit off or it, or at least not lose money due to webhostings, etc), but it more has to do with the simplification from an admin point of view. Yes, there are rules that are broken in the new forum, but they are 10x less then before. Before the rule was "no bump without a price drop" but it was very hard to enforce and took A LOT of time and a ton of people bitching, which is the main reason for the switch over. If you go back and read though some of the 1st posts about the subject, originally it was going to only be 1 item per listing but that was changed so we could keep the MEGATHREADS which most people really like.

7. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

To be honest, it's not the sifting... before, lots of guys would sit waiting for B&S posts to hit and POUNCE on them, with dozens of threads in tabs just to check them out and comb for good deals, etc, etc.

I think part of it is that the new selling format has driven off the relatively small-time sellers who provided a lot of the good deals. $200 Kiton suit? $15 Kiton tie? $25 Borrelli dress shirt? Not happening on the new B&S... not that they were COMMON on the old B&S but great, great deals on good stuff happened relatively very frequently. Now? Not so much.

Sure, I'll still check out Spoo's threads and hope he gains weight over the holidays :devil: but I'm really not all that into wading through the 37283 sellers who now list each single super-expensive item separately. No offense, but on the old B&S I skipped those threads. Sure, the megathreads are possible - and greatly appreciated - but too many sellers just don't use them, or they list one $15 item so they can list a low price on the main forum ad while 99% of the items are several hundred dollars.

J and Fok are very aware of these concerns (and others), and have said, essentially, that they don't care. The forum's moved in a different direction and that's all there is to it. If I recall correctly (and I may be remembering wrong, as I can't find the post now) Fok said that Huddler insisted that the B&S be revamped when they came in because of concerns - I'm guessing about fraud, liability, spam, and lack of revenue generation. Plus, they just don't want to - the old B&S did attract a lot of spammers, a lot of self-bumpers, and a lot of drama they didn't like dealing with.

Sure, there are still great deals to be had - but now it's like panning for gold drearily day after day rather than taking an adventurous exploring trip through the Amazon.

Ultimately, I suspect there's enough premium-price buyers that it will work out for some - but my sales have all moved to Ebay. I make more money, but I don't like it, and I know MANY here agree.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

8. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Has anyone thought of setting up an independent forum for this. ^ SF MC Market.

9. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

At the risk of getting too far off topic I won't add/ask any more, but thanks a lot for the background info guys...really interesting to see the background story and how things have changed.

10. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

the best solution i could think of is leave b&s the way it is and set up another "wild west" subforum where almost anything goes, of course we will need a couple of volunteer moderators to really be on top of it but i think most people (sellers and buyers) would be up for that.

11. SnarlPatrick

SnarlPatrick Senior member

Picked up these mystery shoes today. Can anyone identify? Only marks are "BA" and "MV" stamped on sole. Insole has diagonal stripe with illegible cursive writing. Looks like Vass or G&G in design but nothing fits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(also for bragging, got some Bally Scribes in size 13 today.)

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

it seems like that might already be happening organically right here in "thrift". i've been close on a couple of deals through here (sorry guys).

13. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

I know I no longer lurk, shop or post on the B&S; for as much trouble as it seems I would rather turn to eBay. I used to sell there monthly and shop daily.

On to today's finds....lots of stuff and left some nice stuff left behind as well. Crappy pics for now....good ones and Ebay listings to come for stuff not being kept (unless sold here).

First, why couldn't this guy dig blue Brioni shirts or something? If you are a 16-34 with an affinity for blue Tywhitt slim fit shirts you should contact me.

[​IMG]

Next we have 'stuff for me'. I nice Hickey shirt, an unlabeled pocket square that I quite enjoy and a recent HF suit - Loro Piana Super 130s fabric in Navy, of which I 'needed' another.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now this one will be for sale and is my first J Press....really, really nice item: 41R

[​IMG][​IMG]

Canali Super 120's - if my fellow Rochestarian finds the pants please shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

[​IMG]

Lastly, some recent Hickey Freeman suits in 48L. The Gray is 'Boardroom' and the light gray is 'Caneburry', I beleive. Gorgeous.

[​IMG]

Edit: and a tie - forgive the indoor lighting; it's pitch black out now.

[​IMG]

Bought some other odds and ends as well...

14. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Just a reminder about the eBay black list. Currently have about 30 SF members and almost 280 ID's. You can see all the information below.

Over the past few weeks there has been a lot of discussion in the Official thrift/discount store bragging thread about creating a space on Styleforum where the members who do a lot of eBay buying and selling can create a collection of eBay user ID's of scammers, cheats, scoundrels or just other wise crappy eBay's who other members should be aware of and could add to there personal eBay user to ID Blocked Bidder/Buyer List. I recently had a situation that pissed me off enough to take it upon myself to initiate a list. With a great suggestions from "ChetBakerSings" & "TheWGP" (credit where credits due), a google document spreadsheet was born. To safeguard the list so that the scammers can not google it and change their ID or erase their name, it is not password protected, but instead invite only, and only the people's gmail addresses that are in the permission list can access the document.

Unfortunate IMO this list will not be open to newer SF members due not knowing them (I am very open to changing what I feel is fair to be included in the list if there is a consensus in the discussion that follows). For now though, you need to have 250 posts (relating to B&S is better) OR be a member for a least 6 months with some sort of history and quality posts. I am taking a lot of my time to try and verify each request I receive but feel that is the only way to safeguard the list in the future. If you have extenuating circumstances please feel free to contact me.

PLEASE NOTE: To be included on this list, please PM me your gmail address. If you open the link and click "Request access", I receive an email in my gmail inbox. This does me no good as I can not match a random gmail email address to a SF member ID and therefore can not determine who to add to the list. These "request" emails are automatically deleted

Click Here for "The Official SF eBay Black List"

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

I wonder if those 48L HF are from the same guy who donated the ones I picked up. Where did you find the pocket square? I almost never find those... Was it with the women's scarves and such?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.