The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

Hi guys, my friend's dad gave me a bunch of clothes when he was closet cleaning and gave me a pair of hermes pants. 99 percent sure it's real. I am selling them right now but for the buyer's sake I want to make sure that it's real so can anyone help me confirm based on the tag and the ...tag?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Am i allowed to call teh Spoo if i don't post in this part of SF often?

Edit: thanks in advance

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

2. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Zep III was probably their finest work, alongside houses of the holy. Been a while since I listened to these classics.

Talking of records, I picked up Bowie's "man who sold the world", the version with him wearing a dress. It is worth maybe $100 - $150 but I will keep for its classic / cool status and the fact it was Bowie's finest material lumped on one LP.

Looks authentic to me - I will take them off you if that 42 tag means a 42 waist :devil:.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thanks, I was quite proud of it at first. However I tried it on with a t shirt in the thrift store. Once home, with anything thicker on, it is a bit snug on me in the chest. Its a shame since my wife actually thought it looked nice on me too.

4. MattR

MattR Senior member

Personally, if you aren't struggling to button it, hang on to it. It's an awesome piece.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thanks, it weighs between 5 and 6 lbs. Turns out it is a bit snug on me in anything other than a t-shirt. I wonder how long it will take me to find another one.[​IMG]

6. Master Milano

Thanks a lot for the reply, Klobber. Haha not too familiar with 42 waist, but its 17 inches across (I think thats a 33? We're using different systems). :embar: Another member is seriously interested in it, but if it's your size, will let you know if it doesn't work out :)

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Its not so much the buttoning as it is the moving. I am really on the fence on this one. Does anyone know if a coat like this can be altered, or how many arms and legs that could cost me?

8. grendel

grendel Senior member

I think you just threw chum in the water...

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

I've had coats taken out at the back center seam... Cost about $35 and gave me a lot more room in the arms and chest.

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Yeah, the heavy one I have is about 7 pounds - came in really handy for an outdoor ceremony in biting cold earlier this winter. Most coats just aren't made this heavy anymore.

+1 on the above advice - keep it if you have any possibility at all of fitting into it. They're just too rare. You MAY also be able to let it out - but be careful, on such an old garment the fabric to let out may be sufficiently different to be noticeable, which may or may not abate with drycleaning and wear. Also, what's left to let out can vary greatly from coat to coat, and you might need to use the side seams in addition the back seam. It's doable, but will get expensive fast!

11. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Ah me silly 42EU = 32US. Thanks for considering me, but they will not work for my more bulky 38" waist. I suspect Spoo would want dibs on those as well.

12. Master Milano

Haha, they are sold, thanks though. I think I am going to miss them, the houndstooth pattern is so good. Sold for sixty, so i hope it was a good deal for the buyer! :nodding:

nice and dry cleaned mmm.

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

That's what I'm worried about, it doesn't look like it was worn enough to be faded or anything, but the herringbone pattern probably wouldn't match up so nicely anymore. Plus - I don't even know anyone around to recommend a good tailor in my area.

14. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

I'd rank "wearability" over "pattern matching" any day... just my 2 cents! You DO need to find a good tailor in your area. Could go into menswear stores (the real ones, not JAB/etc) and ask them who they use for their alterations if you're not in a metro area that has other folks from SF/AAAC who can help.

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

For $60 that was an absolute steal! Geez - this guy buys Hermes pants?! What does he do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.