The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattR

MattR Senior member

I didn't know that (about who they benefit). Their prices weren't outrageous, for sure. But you are completely right, someone was checking labels. I saw the JAB jackets were marked up compared to the HF.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

SF has been on my "to-go-to" list for a looong time. That's Pejsek's stomping grounds and we remember his crazy finds.

3. Nell

Nell Senior member

Finally managed to snap some pics, though my photography clearly needs work. The Brionis are recent finds, the Poole is from a while back. To avoid an influx of measurement requests via PM, I'll post them now. Apologies for cluttering the thread.

Grey, feels like a cashmere/wool blend, tagged Eu 54, measures to about a US 41
    Chest: 21.75
    BoC: 30.75
    Shoulders: 18.75
    Sleeve: 24.75 + 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tuxedo, DB 4 by 1, tagged Eu 53, measures to about a 40.
    Chest: 20.5
    BoC: 30.25
    Shoulders: 18
    Sleeve: 24.75 + 2
    Pant Waist: 16.75
    Inseam: 31 + 3
    Outseam 42

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Poole, mid grey (darker than photos), tropical wool, measures to about a 38S. Functional buttons and a lot of hand work.
    Chest: 20.5
    BoC: 27.25
    Shoulders: 17.5
    Sleeve: 22.75

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last photo details the absolutely massive lapel "hole" (Is milanaise the correct expression?). About double the length of any others I've seen, and it looks well done to my untrained eye.

The Brionis are too large for me, and the Poole is a bit wide, so all are available. In the spirit of the thread, I would be happy to consider trades for blazers/suits in 36/38S, 28-30 by 30 pants, 15 by 32/33 shirts, or 8 B shoes.

4. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

hahaha, hilarious, but that's not the "Andro" I was thinking of when I made it. Much more nerdy: Android (as in, the phones). :p

5. mainy

mainy Senior member

No way, I have too much fun with it. Although, it's definitely paying the bills, so I guess it technically meets the description of a job :slayer:

6. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

:eek:

Wow, that is quite a backup!

7. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Tell me about it....and I could really use the money now for an investment into some family property that I would like to make. I feel like the guys on that show 'Gold Rush'; I know I am sitting on a fortune but I'm too retarded to cash it in. :D

For those that have done well would you recommend an eBay store for this type of volume? I don't know if the best option for most of these is to put a BIN and let it run until sold or what...

Today's choice is the Brooks Bros. Trench in what I believe is XL:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

Exactly!!!!!!!

9. mainy

mainy Senior member

It depends on what you paid for the stuff. I like to just add it all together, divide by number of items, and figure out my average cost per item. Personally I would stay away from BIN, the fees are higher and I feel it works better for new with tag stuff that has a ceiling to what you're going to get for it. I've had really random stuff get bid up to crazy levels (like an early 70's brooks brothers blazer I sold for $150. WTF?)

If you have really desirable things that are guaranteed to get a lot of bids (nice shoes in a common size, brioni suit or whatever), I'd just start them at a $1 and see what happens. Otherwise I'm a big fan of picking a low starting bid that will guarantee some profit, then let it run for 7 days (start it on a sunday night, end it on a sunday night). As long as your starting bids are reasonable you will probably sell 70% first go around (depending on what it is / with some luck). Don't be disheartened if stuff doesn't sell, I've had items not sell one week then have them sell for double when i relist them.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The tie is real, from about 1999. The pants are a bad fake. Sorry dewd.
    Congrats on finding your grail!

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Scratch that. Those are real. You caught me off guard (and nursing a hangover). However, that line lasted about 1 hour in stores... a one off thing in the early 2000s. I personally have not even seen any in person, but it was kind of an offshoot of the Versace Jeans Couture line - they used to make these great techno pants - they fit awesome. People loved them, then they developed this Techno Jeans line to try and capitalize on them, but this was smack in the middle of diversifying their lines for the 20th time, and someone finally wised up and said it was not a good idea to have 50 million different lines. LOL.

Be warned though, someone on eBay might not realize they are real as google will probably not bring any info on these - and even I thought they were fake at first glance. Just be careful. You know how stupid buyers are sometimes. :)

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

14. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Just list them as "Spoo Certified authentic"

15. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Cool, thanks. I have a lot of experience in moving shoes but not so much yet with suits and jackets. Generally everything I run into is priced in the $5-10 range for a jacket and $12-20 for a suit, thankfully. :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.