Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArsenalDan

ArsenalDan Senior member

...will be going on B/S eventually, at 4 inches it's definitely too big for me but should work great for someone wearing more substantial lapels who wants a punchy tie.... :D

2. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Congrats Nat! Been a long time coming! Now you just have to find some Kiton, right? ;) I'd be interested in that suit if I thought there was any way in heck I could pull off a breast pocket flap and a 4 roll 3... lol.

As far as trades: Yeah, the stars don't often align - but when they do it can be awesome. I know there's been some pretty epic trades out there, and I've traded brands up there with the best of them. I think there was a Kiton-suit-for-Kiton-suit swap a few years back that I vaguely heard about.

The reason the "thrift trading thread" is inactive IMO is twofold: people don't tend to post their best stuff there, but primarily, this thread already serves that purpose. I know a lot of us have bought, sold or traded things just based on pics/info from this thread, and it works out pretty well for the most part. Sometimes trades work out and sometimes they don't - but by and large active posters on here try to give other active posters on here a reasonable deal in my experience (on both ends). In a way there's a bit of the ethos of AAAC's Trad Thrift Exchange - but a bit more freewheeling and less thrifty. ;)

3. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

I was on vacation with some of my friends in Tahoe, when my girlfriend decided we should leave a couple of days early. But my friends were staying so she gave me the choice of leaving with her or staying with them. Part of me wanted to stay, part of me knew I should go with her, so I left with her, but was going to drive back after. But when we got to her place, my thrifting senses were tingling. It was saying, "go home to San Francisco, thrift in San Franciscoooo, thrift in San Franciscooooo." So I was like, why the fuck not. So I ditched my friends and my girlfriend and went home.

The first day back I decided to hit up an unusual spot.
    There I found....nothing. Well, a Nicky's of Milano tie isn't nothing, but...meh. Did see a Arny's of Paris and a Sulka shirt as well as a pair of Acne jeans, but... I just didn't want them. Well the Arny's had paint on it and it was ancient.

The second place I decided to hit up was close, so I was like, why not?
    There I found...don't hate me for this, but a Robert Graham shirt. Usually don't pick up, but it was quite normal looking and it was 2 bucks.
    I also picked up a pretty sweet sports coat from Callisto Campora of Napoli. Never heard of them, but quite nice. Figured it was worth the 5 bucks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can anyone ID the maker?

The third place I hit up is a sweet spot. It always produces something good.
    There I found...nothing.

Except a, BAM, Made in Italy Burberry sports coat.
    [​IMG]

And oh yeah, these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was fired up. My first day back I was like yeeeeeee, gonna hit up every store in SF. Then my dad called me home for dinner. I was sad, cause it would kill my luck. Oh yeah, saw a very recent with the heart Samuelsohn tweed here as well as a couple of Belvest and countless Zegna's.

Hoping my luck would ride over from last night, today I decided to head back out

First place I hit up is hit or miss. It's the biggest store in SF, but it's very popular so everyone passes through it.

I found nothing except for a Duncan Quinn shirt. Pretty sweet, it's tag actually reminds me of the Cucinelli makers tag.

[​IMG]

Second place I hit up is a favorite. Always something good and not too crazily priced.
    Hit the suit rack, see a recent Samuelsohn. I was like...meh, don't really want a Samuelsohn. However, next thing I see:

BAM, a very recent Brioni.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I saw alot of awesome stuff here, a RLBL shirt, a Dunhill shirt, a few super nice Zegnas and a lot of Thomas Mason J Crews. They were nice, but at 6 a peice, I was kind of ehh. Didn't really want to buy them, cause something was telling me I'd need the last 30 bucks I had in my wallet.

So I head over to the third store. This one is a big hit or miss, but usually has something that I want to buy, but it's at the borderline between too much for a item I'm not sure if someone on SF would want.

Go in, look around the leather jackets cause I've been looking for one. Looked at the first one and it was...

a London Fog. I was like whatevs, moved on to the second one. However, instead of a leather jacket, it was:

BAM, another very recent Brioni suit. IN MY SIZE. I was jizzing my pants. Even at 30 bucks, it was a Brioni that I could actually fit and wear and to top it off, it was recent, awesome flannel and just... nice. Pants are a wee tight, and the sleeves are short, but I think it's time I get a tailor and have them extended.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wanted to keep going on, but my mom called and said I had dinner with my grandmama. SO MUCH RAGE. Hopefully my luck will carry over to tomorrow.

Oh yeah, errythang is fer sale/trade

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

4. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

I'm not sure if it was on purpose or not, but several parts of this epic tale of thrift had me lol'ing.

5. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Ah, that explains everything. I went thrifting today and found nothing of note .... you picked it all up :lol:

Naw just kidding, I only went to one thrift store today, the beach was calling me, it was nice weather :)

But please remember to leave me some nice things ;)

6. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

Wow, now that nice!

7. Manofstyle85

Wow, now that nice!

8. Manofstyle85

Wow, now that nice!

9. Manofstyle85

Wow, now that nice!

10. mainy

mainy Senior member

ok... adding SF on the list of places i need to go thrift. I'm thinking of taking a couple weeks, hopping in the car and doing a thrift america / sightseeing barnstorming tour (these are the kinda things you consider doing when you're unemployed).

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

[​IMG] My name is Legion: for we are many. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

12. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

:facepalm:

13. Manofstyle85

If you ask me, this sounds very much like a job.

14. MattR

MattR Senior member

Thanks to a tip from fellow NoVa thrifter, Mr. Toscano, I was able to grab my first BB suit today in my size.

Went to a store I rarely go to, because of the distance. Go there within 10 minutes of it opening, and the place was COMPLETELY mobbed. You really couldn't even move through the aisles, and this place is WalMart sized.

There were a few nice things here and there, but they had marked their prices up pretty significantly (ex. $16 for a BB paisley Makers). Not unfair prices, to be sure, just not "thrift" prices, exactly. Anywhoot.

Moved through the suit aisles without coming across anything spectacular (couple of HF, all nice, just without pants), until I got to the end. I was disappointed I hadn't found anything, but the second to last suit was a recent, 2B navy blue BB w/ blue pinstripes. Tagged exactly my size. One of those really good thrifting moments where it turns around for you. It was marked about twice what a GW usually wants for suits, but it was in amazing condition, and still leagues below the in-store price.

15. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

Glad you scored! That store follows the "brand we know" pricing scheme because BB ties are usually in the teens but I've copped Brioni ties there and never paid more than 4.99 for any of them. Prices are a touch higher, but the thrift benefits military veterans, and specifically Purple Heart award winners, so I don't mind the extra cost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.