The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catside

catside Senior member

While doing chores dropped in a GW where suits were priced between 80( JOS A BANK) and 250 (Burberry). Left dumbfounded. :puzzled:

2. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

Hit up a Goodwill that I hadn't been to in quite a while and on my way out happened to spot some funky leather shoes sitting in a pile in one of the glass cases. They turned out to be these old Church's Custom Grade ranch oxhides. Can't find much info about them. There's no size indicator other than the 11B stamped on the sole. Can anyone verify if this is how Church's indicates their sizing? In any case, they're not my size so they'll end up on ebay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Very likely due to a rogue employee/group of employees who thinks he/she/they is/are some sort of expert.

There's a St. Vinnie's by me that employs this insane woman who I gather is a manager. She overprices the unholy shit of everything and makes asshole-ish comments if you find something that got past her. The result is 19 dollar Lucky Brand jeans and 60 dollar Cole Haans. It's absurd. I cut that place out of my rotation.

4. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

There is a "goodwill reserve" here in Omaha that had burberry london suit (olive green too, ugh) for $350. They have 50% off sales a lot, but still...

5. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

There is GW that Cricketter suit at $39, Polo University at $59, Anything that says macy's from $100-120. Saks, Neiman, etc... is off the chart. Yes, it's a GW!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

6. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

7. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

TJ Maxx! How did a Kiton end up at T.J Maxx? I have Brooks Brothers and the liking

8. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    Did it have the price tag through the front? that is normally how they roll over there...

9. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

10. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Thanks to all who have added their wisdom about the Hermes tie I thrifted., Manofstyle85, ChetBakerSings, TheWGP, AlanC, djmattm, Ich_Dien......

Even if it was a fake, it's really nice and it was only $1.99.

11. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

I proposed this to a SF member (who I am absolutely NOT calling out in any way as I happy to take either side of the deal.) Does it seem underhanded at all?

I got a pair of shoes for him with the understanding that he pay me actual thrift store cost + shipping. No profit involved on my end.

OR

I send him the shoes and he pays me nothing right now, to include the shipping cost. I drop the shoes in the mail on Monday, he gets them totally on my dime. My end of the deal is that I will keep an eye on what he thrifts and if, sometime in the next few months he gets something I'm interested in I will inquire about it and if the thrift value is equivalent (meaning the actual cost at the thrift store, not the flippable price) then I'll take that. If the item could be flipped for insane profit, like for example something NWT or a high end grail item, I won't even bother asking for it. Hell, I'll even give three automatic, no questions-asked vetoes for anything I ask for. It is essentially the SF version of "a player to be named later." He's out nothing right now, he gets the shoes, and sometimes in the future maybe I score a tie or shirt i like.

Does that seem shifty in any way on my part other than the immediate and maybe justified suspicion that someone on the internet out to screw him in some way?

12. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Maybe not underhanded, but probably inviting more drama into both your lives than it's worth. Just my opinion, YMMV.

13. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

LMAO. Personally I would only bother with those prices if, and a big if, they were recent Attolini, Kiton, etc and were purchases for personal usuage. I would never pay that much on anything if I bought to flip onto destinations new.

I would only pay that much for Burberry 2nd hand if it was a decent trench by their top line Prorsum. Even then I would have buyers remorse knowing it came from a thrift store.

14. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

You're probably right. It just occurred to me after I picked them up so I proposed it. No big deal and no feelings hurt. I ship the shoes to him on Monday and we're all good.

The only reason I thought of it is because my closet is already completely overflowing and I have decent stuff to trade. In addition, I always see quality stuff here in the DC area that is either not my size or not my style. Instead of financially proxying it, I'd be interested in a trade proxy. I see something you like, I'll buy it and hook you up and vice-versa. I guess this would probably only work with people who know each other or live close enough to meet up in person.

For me, at this point in my wardrobe building, I'm after very specific pieces. I already have 30+ SF approved suits, 60+ SF approved shirts and 40+ SF approved ties. So, while I'm interested in trading, its more for the sheer pleasure of buying quality stuff and a good price and making sure it gets a good home while I fill the specific holes in my wardrobe. I'm more than happy to trade 3 suits for one tie if the tie itself is something I've been wanting or really like. Maybe I'm just out on an island with all this.

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

So today was interesting. A buddy called me at 9 am saying he wanted to go thrifting today. I was tired and didn't want to get out of bed but I had a feeling I'd miss something crazy today. Got up and we headed out.

First stop: Meh. Found a pair of lightly worn New Balance 574s (one of my favorite styles) for work. My old ones are nearing the end of their life.

Second stop: Nada

Third stop: This store is in a sketchier part of down. Kind of a run down/older area. I haven't been to this store in a couple years, even though it isn't that far from the other stores I hit. We were on our way to another store down the road that I also hadn't been to in a couple years and it was a split second decision to swing into this one on the way. I had a funny feeling about this store when I walked in. I felt like if I were ever to find some crazy nice, vintage bespoke stuff like some guys on here find on occasion, I'd find it here. The craziness begins. I head to the men's section and hit the suit rack. First suit I find interesting is an old bespoke suit from LA. Second is the same, but from a different tailor. Then....there is was. No makers tag on the inside of the jacket, so I peek into the pocket and there I see it...staring at me. This is the sucker that has been eluding me for 10 years!

[​IMG]

All three suits are in amazing shape for their age and are from the same donor. No moth holes, fraying, etc. The Huntsman is likely the oldest, dated 1949. One is undated and the other LA tailor is dated 1954. Very heavy weight fabrics. Carrying the three around the store hurt my arm after about 5 minutes. All are the same style and cut. 4 button fronts, flap pocket on the breast pocket. Button fly with the crazy button closure that buttons from the rear and is thus concealed. The style of these trousers are exactly like the Polo RL ones I picked up a few days ago. Another crazy coincidence. I'd never seen this before.

Being that I hadn't visited the store in a couple years, I have no idea how long those have been there, but it couldn't have been long as all were next to each other like they were just put out. Then again, who knows. I'd like to see what else came in from this donation. Nothing else to speak of in the store (overcoats, ties, shirts, trousers.....). This made my day, not to mention boosted my mood ten-fold when I knew I had made a SF Grail Find!

Fourth stop: Bust

Last stop: Found some Turnbull & Asser for Bergdorf Goodman dress shirts I gave to my friend.

All in all a great day. Just does to show it just takes one donation to make a crazy haul! Also shows that you'd be surprised at what you find in the not-so-nice neighborhoods.

Currado Brothers 3 piece suit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turnquist Los Angeles suit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]