• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
Saw a linen bianco brioni SC. Surgeon's cuffs, etc. Read, though, it isn't related to Brioni. Right, wrong?

Nothing great, they sell on amazon around $150-250. Oh, they claim that price is 80-90% original price, you can also look em up on ebay.
How was your exams by the way?

RebelWithACause

Reaction score
Two nice ties, orvis raincoat sz XL, claiborne toggle coat sz XL, not the greatest brand, but it is nice.
Everything up for trade or sale.

9a7b6aaa.jpg

a1aae6f3.jpg

d68eb5bd.jpg

codhead

Reaction score

Two nice ties, orvis raincoat sz XL, claiborne toggle coat sz XL, not the greatest brand, but it is nice.
Everything up for trade or sale.

Toggle coat? Surely you mean duffle coat? Pity it's not a Gloverall

Is that Ted Baker tie really brown & blue? If so I think it's hideous

RebelWithACause

Reaction score
Sorry about that, yes, duffle coat. It is an ugly tie, but I might be able to flip it. I am saving up for some Alden indys.

MattR

Reaction score

Nothing great, they sell on amazon around $150-250. Oh, they claim that price is 80-90% original price, you can also look em up on ebay.
How was your exams by the way?

Ha, felt like they went about as well as today did. That is, eh. We'll see, though.

And thanks for the info. I left it, and I'm glad I did. I saw they sell on Amazon, and I had a tough time believing it was anything worthwhile.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Dang! Same issue with the Adrian Jules I got yesterday. Fit perfect but the shoulders are 21" wide and mine are 19". :(
As for the Brioni, I've never seen a fake but I've seen spin-offs that use a similar name and share the same font. That definitely looks real to me.Especially if it has the signature lining. That's a lot of work for a counterfeiter to go through. Kilgour Trout is a high-end men's clothier in Ohio (IIRC). I had a Zegna jacket from there that had their label in it. Brioni definitely could have been MTM and had the label removed. Either that or the label was removed for another reason. Recent Brioni fabric content/size labels are easier to cut out than the old ones which were sewn into the jacket on all four sides.

Cool, just checked Kilgour Trout on a Google - you are right, they are a high end mens store. OK, this Brioni orphaned suit jacket / sport coat is probably authentic. But it has a very troublesome fit, I will take it to the tailors and see how much let out room exists. If it can be let out reasonably, it may be very flippable as a 46L. As it is, unless the fellow rigorously pumps iron for that triangle shape, the potential market for this item is quite limited. Shoulders would cost way too much suppress (my tailor charges $120+) and the results are not always desirable. On the other hand, keep jacket as is on measurements, supress shoulders to around 19", it may be flippable as a 42L. Either way, got to make it 46L or 42L for it to qualify as one of my great finds.

What do the shoulders measure?

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score

Picked these up today. I think they are both real? Thanks in advance Spoo! Was a little perplexed by the black pants, as they are stretchy pants (50% cotton 50% nylon) that women wear and it seems like they are womens pants after a google search. (click pictures to enlarge)

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
Not a bad day today. First time I've been out in a while. At one SA, there were 6 pairs of the same AE Garners, 5 black and one brown, on the rack. All had the same wear pattern, all the same 7.5 size. Maybe the OneShoe isn't that bizarre a concept? :foo:

Ended up with cashmere Facconable tie, BB tie, bespoke made in Hong Kong suit in very good condition even though it was made in 1998...nice two button with all the fixings and fits nicely. Hickey Freeman plaid shirt. Biggest score was a nice pair of vintage cufflinks made of MOP for 12 bucks. Also got a pair of Bergdorf Goodman made in Italy seersucker pants, look to be about 34x30. That's my size but my wife hates seersucker so they're up for trade if anyone is interested.

Passed on a ton of Tradish stuff from very good makers as it isn't my style.

EDITED TO ADD: The BG seeksucker pants are made by Cantarelli according to the label and fit me so they're somewhere in the neighborhood of a 34x30 with room to lengthen. Again, available for trade since my wife hates them.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Not a bad day today. First time I've been out in a while. At one SA, there were 6 pairs of the same AE Garners, 5 black and one brown, on the rack. All had the same wear pattern, all the same 7.5 size. Maybe the OneShoe isn't that bizarre a concept?
foo.gif

Did you pick any of these up?

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
No...sorry man. I can go back on Monday and see if they're still there but I'm not wealthy enough to pick stuff up on the off chance someone on SF will take them. If they don't then I'm stuck with stuff I can't wear and while I was never really going the Ebay route before, the past few pages of this thread have convinced me.

Last edited:

datsunfan

Reaction score
I found absolutely nothing worthwhile clothing-wise today, but did buy a piece of art. One thrift store was having a 50% off art sale today so I bought this signed limited edition print. It's called "The Model A" by Joseph Orr. I've got to replace the wire on the back, but otherwise it's in excellent condition.

IMG_5697-1.jpg

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Corneliani is not going to fit, so it is either going back to the store (thankfully this thrift takes returns!) or is going to someone here. It will be at least tonight, most likely monday before I can put up a real sale ad, but if anyone is interested, PM me. I'm going to ask $150, but will entertain other offers. It has to be back before Christmas in order to return, so don't wait for me to drop on my own, just make an offer. I'll have full measurements when I post it, or if you're interested, I can PM. The trousers are about a 36, no room to give, they have been let out to the max. As you can see, the jacket is a EU 52. For those who care, it can come with a Corneliani hanger, plastic with rubber pads. The Corneliani sign popped off, but a drop of glue will put it back for the next 10 years.

Two decent suits this morning. I had 5-10 minutes and stopped by one of my thrifts, and low and behold, there were (at least) two suits in or close to my size. This place gets very few suits, so I was surprised. I bought them without even trying the pants on. Still meant it took me over 15 min to get out of the store (so I almost ran late for my next appointment).
I tried them on when I got home.
The first is Corneliani, marked 52R. It might be slightly big for me in the shoulders, and the trousers need to be taken in almost 2 inches. (Why do people who can afford to pay retail always have to let out the pants!) I like the suit, but I'm not sure whether I should spend the money on alterations. Hemming is no big deal, but the waist will cost a little more, and if the jacket is slightly large? What says the committee about this suit's value. Sell or keep? (If you care, the color is more true in the fabric close-up than in the pic of the full jacket.)
photo-5.jpg

gdwy89

Reaction score
Stopped by the Goodwill yesterday afternoon and saw they were having a 50% off sale later that night. Dilemma: do I buy the things I want in the afternoon or wait until they are 50% off? There was nothing I saw for myself, so I decided to wait. Despite pleasing the thrift gods by reuniting 4 separated suits I missed out on a NWT BB Makers tie to give to my dad for Hanukkah. Oh well.

I did end up getting:

- NWT Burberry London houndstooth shirt, XL
- J Press, Plymouth model, raw-silk, pale yellow sportcoat, 44R
- Harrods tailored by Chester Barrie, navy, double-breasted sportcoat, 44L (I find this hard to believe. Haven't measured it yet, but I suspect it's closer to a 46R)

All are available.

Afterwards I hit the new Goodwill having a similar sale and picked up a 1995 Washington Bullets Chris Webber Jersey (easily dated because 1995 is the only year he wore #2). It was my most expensive purchase (damn hipsters are driving the prices of jerseys way up), but I'm now ready for my appearance on Straight Cash Homey come summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads