The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattR

MattR Senior member

Saw a linen bianco brioni SC. Surgeon's cuffs, etc. Read, though, it isn't related to Brioni. Right, wrong?

2. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

Nothing great, they sell on amazon around $150-250. Oh, they claim that price is 80-90% original price, you can also look em up on ebay.
    How was your exams by the way?

3. RebelWithACause

RebelWithACause Senior member

Two nice ties, orvis raincoat sz XL, claiborne toggle coat sz XL, not the greatest brand, but it is nice.
    Everything up for trade or sale.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. codhead

codhead Senior member

Toggle coat? Surely you mean duffle coat? Pity it's not a Gloverall

Is that Ted Baker tie really brown & blue? If so I think it's hideous

5. RebelWithACause

RebelWithACause Senior member

Sorry about that, yes, duffle coat. It is an ugly tie, but I might be able to flip it. I am saving up for some Alden indys.

6. MattR

MattR Senior member

Ha, felt like they went about as well as today did. That is, eh. We'll see, though.

And thanks for the info. I left it, and I'm glad I did. I saw they sell on Amazon, and I had a tough time believing it was anything worthwhile.

7. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

What do the shoulders measure?

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Ha, your screen name makes sense now! :laugh:

9. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG]

Picked these up today. I think they are both real? Thanks in advance Spoo! Was a little perplexed by the black pants, as they are stretchy pants (50% cotton 50% nylon) that women wear and it seems like they are womens pants after a google search. (click pictures to enlarge)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

Not a bad day today. First time I've been out in a while. At one SA, there were 6 pairs of the same AE Garners, 5 black and one brown, on the rack. All had the same wear pattern, all the same 7.5 size. Maybe the OneShoe isn't that bizarre a concept? :foo:

Ended up with cashmere Facconable tie, BB tie, bespoke made in Hong Kong suit in very good condition even though it was made in 1998...nice two button with all the fixings and fits nicely. Hickey Freeman plaid shirt. Biggest score was a nice pair of vintage cufflinks made of MOP for 12 bucks. Also got a pair of Bergdorf Goodman made in Italy seersucker pants, look to be about 34x30. That's my size but my wife hates seersucker so they're up for trade if anyone is interested.

Passed on a ton of Tradish stuff from very good makers as it isn't my style.

EDITED TO ADD: The BG seeksucker pants are made by Cantarelli according to the label and fit me so they're somewhere in the neighborhood of a 34x30 with room to lengthen. Again, available for trade since my wife hates them.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Did you pick any of these up?

12. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

No...sorry man. I can go back on Monday and see if they're still there but I'm not wealthy enough to pick stuff up on the off chance someone on SF will take them. If they don't then I'm stuck with stuff I can't wear and while I was never really going the Ebay route before, the past few pages of this thread have convinced me.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

13. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

I found absolutely nothing worthwhile clothing-wise today, but did buy a piece of art. One thrift store was having a 50% off art sale today so I bought this signed limited edition print. It's called "The Model A" by Joseph Orr. I've got to replace the wire on the back, but otherwise it's in excellent condition.

[​IMG]

14. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

The Corneliani is not going to fit, so it is either going back to the store (thankfully this thrift takes returns!) or is going to someone here. It will be at least tonight, most likely monday before I can put up a real sale ad, but if anyone is interested, PM me. I'm going to ask $150, but will entertain other offers. It has to be back before Christmas in order to return, so don't wait for me to drop on my own, just make an offer. I'll have full measurements when I post it, or if you're interested, I can PM. The trousers are about a 36, no room to give, they have been let out to the max. As you can see, the jacket is a EU 52. For those who care, it can come with a Corneliani hanger, plastic with rubber pads. The Corneliani sign popped off, but a drop of glue will put it back for the next 10 years.

15. gdwy89

gdwy89 Well-Known Member

Stopped by the Goodwill yesterday afternoon and saw they were having a 50% off sale later that night. Dilemma: do I buy the things I want in the afternoon or wait until they are 50% off? There was nothing I saw for myself, so I decided to wait. Despite pleasing the thrift gods by reuniting 4 separated suits I missed out on a NWT BB Makers tie to give to my dad for Hanukkah. Oh well.

I did end up getting:

- NWT Burberry London houndstooth shirt, XL
    - J Press, Plymouth model, raw-silk, pale yellow sportcoat, 44R
    - Harrods tailored by Chester Barrie, navy, double-breasted sportcoat, 44L (I find this hard to believe. Haven't measured it yet, but I suspect it's closer to a 46R)

All are available.

Afterwards I hit the new Goodwill having a similar sale and picked up a 1995 Washington Bullets Chris Webber Jersey (easily dated because 1995 is the only year he wore #2). It was my most expensive purchase (damn hipsters are driving the prices of jerseys way up), but I'm now ready for my appearance on Straight Cash Homey come summer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.