The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Is it possible that these are orphaned trousers for a suit? I would go back and check in the suit section in case they got separated at some point. Nice finds!

2. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele

Wilkes Bashford stuff has been appearing in large quantities at discount shops like Marshalls, Loehmanns and TJ Maxx for months now. These stores have stocked Kiton, Brioni, Belvest, etc., all with Wilkes tags. Perhaps it has to do with the closing of several Wilkes stores and the subsequent sale of the chain to the MItchell family.

3. codhead

codhead Senior member

I often buy orphaned trousers when they appear, in the hope that I can match them to an orphaned coat that I've already got or may someday find.

4. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Quote:
    Bizzocchi ties are supposedly quite good. I heard some of them are made by Kiton? Not sure if it's true, but they should be high quality ties.

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Let me know when you've got this figured out. You know my measurements (my shoulders are a bit over 20")

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

It is comical. Don't worry about it.

7. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

8. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

I have one of those Hermes ties too - the Heavy Silk variety does in fact have those hallmarks. When I found mine, I was convinced it was fake - I left it, even! The next week I was back, it was still there, and I decided to pick it up... and what do you know, it checks out. It's just a very rare combination.

BTW, the TJMaxx/Marshalls/etc/etc around here are seeing zero WIlkes Bashford stuff, before those of you on the east coast go out and look. Probably a local thing based on the closed stores?

Kilgore Trout is a moderately nice men's store in Cleveland, OH - I visited there several times. They carry some good stuff, including, yes, Brioni. Go figure, I've never seen a Brioni tailored anything from anywhere, and you find one from right here in Ohio - out in Cali! :lol: Funny how things get moved around - I see ties every now and again, or even some shirts, from stores up Nataku's way, like The Foursome. Guess they decided Ohio was better than MN in the winter. Correspondingly, I don't think I've seen more than a handful of things from Cali/TX/FL... ;)

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I will think about it in the new year, I am offski's for Xmas next week so not likely to do any flipping until after the holidays. I have taken measurements:

Pit to Pit 23"
    Shoulder to cuff 26"
    Length BOC 33" (total = 34.5")
    Shoulder to Shoulder 21.5"
    Across Waist 18.5"

Measurements make it seem normalish 44US were it not for shoulders, reality says it is sizeless (too many size variables here).

I know it is interesting how stuff moves around :laugh:. Related to that, I am finding an awful lot of Korean Bespoke suits around CA at the moment. They are all canvassed as well. I am tempted to pick up, but know nothing about the Asian bespoke scene. Is a Chan suit worth a punt at thrift?.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thats real. Thats beautiful. Let me know if that will soon be mine.

And I only see that light at night guys. You need to figure something else out for during the day. :lol:

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sorry doc - thats absolutely real. That store tag is also the same store tag as Hermes BTQs in the USA.

on most, but not wovens.

You won the dispute? Just ignore him. Seriously. Forward everything to eBay.

Its on nearly every single woven tie.

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I know it is interesting how stuff moves around :laugh:. Related to that, I am finding an awful lot of Korean Bespoke suits around CA at the moment. They are all canvassed as well. I am tempted to pick up, but know nothing about the Asian bespoke scene. Is a Chan suit worth a punt at thrift?.[/quote]

Yep, stuff from the Foursome and Judd Frost (both in Wayzata, Well, the Foursome was up until their recent move to a city over) seems to get around!

Chan is one of the few Asian bespoke tailors out there that is worth grabbing, I bought my only Chan find ever last year, a pair of bespoke trousers. Sold em for $50 on here that night. Chan is pretty highly regarded here.

13. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

@Spoo, it looks like you're correct. I have one woven Hermes, just summoned the strength to get out of sick bed to look at it. And it's just like that one. Good to be aware of that.

14. SpooPoker

^^ Thanks Alan, I hope you feel better.

By the way, I was determined to find one of these today... so I sent an email to Barneys.com - no response. I called their online web help number about 5x in the morning, busy. Finally got through, got the "all operators are busy" message and held on for about 20m. Nobody answered. I hung up and tried again in a few hours. 20m of holding more. Finally someone rather disinterested picked up the phone. I gave the style numbers for both squares, and asked if they could source one at a retail store. Somewhat helpful, she said she found a purple and an olive in SF and in Chicago. I asked if she could purchase them for me, but she said she couldn't and I would have to call directly. *ggggrrrrr*. I call and both locations gave me the worst customer service... pretty much said "well, if the computer says theres only one left, we probably don't have it". Yada yada yada back and forth, I was really displeased with the attention they were giving me (albeit for a $39 square, but still)...but after nearly an hour, landed only the olive. The purple one is sold out in the USA. Whew. Thanks for the heads up, but if you need anything from Barneys.com.... PASS.

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

Adrian Jules? From Rochester? I see their stuff around but don't pick it up because I figured nobody outside of Rochester would have heard of it. Is it flippable?

Also, measurements on the Zegna?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.