The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Brioni overcoat = moderately good?! [​IMG]. That thing looks fantastic.

2. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Oh yeah, for a personal keep if it's cheap get it. I see a ton of them, but a few have caught my eye and seem nice. Like I said, I own one in a really interesting color and I wear it all the time and love it.

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Well unless it's a scarf pattern tie, yours is fake too.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

4. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

No idea. No size tags anywhere in garment.

Looks like it would fit 42L US, possible 44L US. But the shoulders may have come from a jacket of size 48 - 50 US. This thing was tailored for a body builder. I fit 46L, it fits length wise perfect, chest wise it is tight, and waist wise, but shoulders are extremely wide. I have broad shoulder made for rugby tackles or football tackles, but these shoulders shoot 1" past mine. I think this one was a US 50 squeezed down to a 42 - 44US.

All Brioni's have size tags though, so I would say it is a fake unless proven otherwise.

It is great looking, but without size tags, I say moderately good since it could be fake. Inner tag says Brioni with Brioni lining, but then says Kilgour Trout on the other side. I am guessing it is someones name and this is a bespoke piece and maybe someone sewed on the Brioni label later???? :(

5. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

6. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

7. 951socal

951socal Senior member

moschino is a fashion foward brand that was popular a few years ago
    they're starting to fill up alot of racks at saks off 5th now though

neiman marcus last call sells ricci ties for $70 regular
    and with their recent markdowns you can do better

grab the versace if itsa thin black label

8. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Got foiled by piss stains on multiple occasions today. Bros, shake the mouse before you put it back in its house.

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Dang! Same issue with the Adrian Jules I got yesterday. Fit perfect but the shoulders are 21" wide and mine are 19". :(

As for the Brioni, I've never seen a fake but I've seen spin-offs that use a similar name and share the same font. That definitely looks real to me.Especially if it has the signature lining. That's a lot of work for a counterfeiter to go through. Kilgour Trout is a high-end men's clothier in Ohio (IIRC). I had a Zegna jacket from there that had their label in it. Brioni definitely could have been MTM and had the label removed. Either that or the label was removed for another reason. Recent Brioni fabric content/size labels are easier to cut out than the old ones which were sewn into the jacket on all four sides.

10. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Quote:
    I have a tie by Stefano Ricci that feels amazing. Although I don't know what 'Stefano Ricci Luxury' is, I would just take the Brionis.

11. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

RE the Hermes tie,
    Ive never seen the H logo fabric on the interior of the tie, at least not on any Hermes Ive seen.

12. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

13. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

Heavy silk ties, I see them come straight form Hermes boutique

14. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Cool, just checked Kilgour Trout on a Google - you are right, they are a high end mens store. OK, this Brioni orphaned suit jacket / sport coat is probably authentic. But it has a very troublesome fit, I will take it to the tailors and see how much let out room exists. If it can be let out reasonably, it may be very flippable as a 46L. As it is, unless the fellow rigorously pumps iron for that triangle shape, the potential market for this item is quite limited. Shoulders would cost way too much suppress (my tailor charges $120+) and the results are not always desirable. On the other hand, keep jacket as is on measurements, supress shoulders to around 19", it may be flippable as a 42L. Either way, got to make it 46L or 42L for it to qualify as one of my great finds.

15. codhead

codhead Senior member

Shoulders are the biggest bugbear. Even my Savvy Row trained seamstress is reluctant to take a coat apart to alter shoulder dimensions. Anything else she can handle but she reckons that a true shoulder dimension alteration involves a basic strip-down and re-sew of the whole coat and no one would pay her prices.

If i happened to end up with a jacket with super-wide shoulders and trim chest & waist, I'd just eBay it on a BiN and forget it, there's bound to be some muscle-bound freak somewhere in the world who needs to step out of his sweats one day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.