Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

How about a Nutters of saville row DB sport coat made in 1979

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

So we don't take up any more room in the thrift/discount thread. Please move all communication about the list, buyers, scammers, etc to the The official SF eBay Black List Thread (click here).

Below is the first post in the thread so everyone is on the same page.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Bahaha! Reminds me of a trick we played on a friend. My brother and I listed a "fake" auction on my friend's account to see how long till he noticed and if it got any bids.

He took it down, but it's still showing up and it was up for a whopping 4 days! :laugh:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12081555685...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_614wt_1396

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Thanks for that! I think I'll go back and get it since I can't sell much in clothes on eBay right now.

5. codhead

codhead Senior member

Grab it and quick. Tommy Nutter was tailor to the stars, all the rock & rollers went to him

6. Manofstyle85

Oh yea, I did. about a week ago. I post a pic

7. Manofstyle85

[​IMG]

8. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Two decent suits this morning. I had 5-10 minutes and stopped by one of my thrifts, and low and behold, there were (at least) two suits in or close to my size. This place gets very few suits, so I was surprised. I bought them without even trying the pants on. Still meant it took me over 15 min to get out of the store (so I almost ran late for my next appointment).

I tried them on when I got home.
    The first is Corneliani, marked 52R. It might be slightly big for me in the shoulders, and the trousers need to be taken in almost 2 inches. (Why do people who can afford to pay retail always have to let out the pants!) I like the suit, but I'm not sure whether I should spend the money on alterations. Hemming is no big deal, but the waist will cost a little more, and if the jacket is slightly large? What says the committee about this suit's value. Sell or keep? (If you care, the color is more true in the fabric close-up than in the pic of the full jacket.)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Southwick is a dark grey with pin stripes. Not marked, but it fits me to a T (except I'll have to have the pants hemmed). Since it needs so little work, I'll probably keep it and let it serve day to day duty.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

9. RebelWithACause

RebelWithACause Senior member

I can't rem if I posted these before. Zegna and HF(sz 42) sportcoats. They don't fit, you can have them for what I paid, $5 bucks each plus actual shipping.
    Also, a great orvis shawl cardigan back from the cleaners. Also up for grabs.

10. codhead

codhead Senior member

That looks more like an orphaned suit jacket rather than a sports coat. Tommy Nutter is never going to make you a fortune but I'd keep it anyway, he was such an iconic figure, probably the first guy to try & drag The Row into the modern era. His biography is well worth a read

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Nice gesture.

12. RebelWithACause

RebelWithACause Senior member

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

Pictures? Measurements for the SC's? What size is the Orvis?

EDIT: Oops, there's the pics...

The Zegna looks cool. What's it measure? I like the Orvis too.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

14. codhead

codhead Senior member

Emma came back with just one item for me today, a 70s vintage Hector Powe 3-pocket, single vent sportscoat in probably the heaviest tweed I've ever seen, the coat itself weighs over 1.4 kilos.

Although hardly iconic, Hector Powe did produce some nice schmutter. This appears to have been personally tailored as opposed to true bespoke. I'd like to lose some width off those true 70s lapels and although the shoulders fit fine, I'm hoping there's enough left in the coat to give me an extra couple of inches in the chest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. catside

catside Senior member

Sweater day.
    One Aran cardigan that fits a little big since it is XL. Will wear it home. Since Matt sent me one last year, I am a fan of these.
    One Zegna turtleneck. Very soft but XXL. Will throw it to washing machine to see if I can shrink it to L. Last time I tried something like this it shrank to an XS so will use cold water.Worst I am out 7 bucks.
    A Hardy Amies, relatively recent tie. Not worth pics.
    I used to have shoe luck but it's all gone. Still a 6 month drought ends and that is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.