• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try being a software developer... Jeans are de rigueur

journalists, too. actually with journalists it's mostly dockers. jeans are a step up.

floors to go

Reaction score
Today was an opening of a new Goodwill in our area. Got to pick up a ton of records before they were picked through. Grabbed a bunch off BB shirts some were New w/out tag.

-Vintage BB Shawl Tux - looks to be a 39-40

-Coogi Sweater - Starting think it may be a fake, everything on it but the tag looks right. Any input would be appreciated.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fake. I learned this the hard way. Easiest way is to look at the letters: the "C" will always be yellow on a real one:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Fake-COOGI-Sewaters?ugid=10000000004600607

EDIT: Oh ****, wait, amended...didn't realize it was "Coogi Basics". It's hard to decipher what he means by this part with the picture, so the verdict is uncertain:

2nd, the letters in the word COOGI ARE ALWAYS COLORED AS FOLLOWS!!!!!!:
C - Yellow
O - Blue
O - Green
G - Orange
I - Red
3rd, COOGI Sweaters have weight to them. If the sweater you have is PAPER THIN, then it ain't a coogi! Sorry
4th, and last but not least:
The COOGI BASICS line was created for simple designs and color patterns. Hence the name COOGI BASICS!
Example:
8ca5_2.JPG

They were not ment to be fly and flashy with colors coming out the ying yang, so if the sweater is too gaudy but the tag says basic then guess what...you got it, it's FULGAZY! ( that's italian for fake if you didnt know )

Though yours looks to be "flashy and fly", so maybe it's not legit. Not sure.

Today was an opening of a new Goodwill in our area. Got to pick up a ton of records before they were picked through. Grabbed a bunch off BB shirts some were New w/out tag.

-Coogi Sweater - Starting think it may be a fake, everything on it but the tag looks right. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Measurements on the tux? I may be interested

floors to go

Reaction score

EDIT: Oh ****, wait, amended...didn't realize it was "Coogi Basics".  It's hard to decipher what he means by this part with the picture, so the verdict is uncertain: 

Though yours looks to be "flashy and fly", so maybe it's not legit.  Not sure.

Thats what Im questioning the RN# matches and the other details from that guide are right, the Basic threw me for a loop.

Measurements on the tux? I may be interested

Chest - 21 1/4 Waist - 20 1/4 Shoulders - 18 Sleeve - 25 BOC - 32
Pants - 35 + 2 1/2 / 31 + 3

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Glad you guys posted the stuff of the records because I have been meaning to ask a question. A lady who takes care of my son in aftercare has an original copy of the Beatles "White Album". The cover shows some water damage, but she says the LP's have never been played. I looked at them both and they appear new to my untrained eye. And the kicker was the album was given to her by a gentleman who had a connection to the Beatles at the time, and has a newspaper article about the gentleman and his work at that time with them. So is this worth anything?
The gentleman also gave her some drawings that were used in the creation of "Yellow Submarine". Her daughter took them to get the artwork framed and it "disappeared" from the framers.

For the White Album, it depends on how bad the water damage is, if there is mold and if it's an original or special pressing. If it's the original (black Capitol Records label w/ rainbow band and numbered cover) with pristine vinyl, it could be worth a decent amount.

That sucks about those drawings. I'd threaten legal action and try to scare them. I would never leave anything of that sort of value anywhere. I'd insist on watching them frame the drawings so I can make sure they don't "disappear".

So pissed! Got my first negative feedback on eBay in 10 years after becoming a Top Rated & Power Seller. Some jerk in LITTLETON, CO 80125 said his package "never arrived" and wanted a refund even that USPS Label/Receipt Number: 9101 1288 8230 0013 8952 96 says it was delivered. How does he expect me to just send him a refund for a delivered package that he "says" never arrived. Spoke to the post office in the town and they said it was delivered. First contacted me 5 days after it was delivered. WTF!!!

You should be able to have that removed relatively easily. I've seen eBay remove feedback that can be proved wrong, ie: a Item Not Delivered related case that can be proven wrong with a simple tracking #.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...EttcTNQVmV1OVNUOERYMVdjUXI0ZHc&hl=en_US#gid=0
Since SF is apparently not interested in this judging from alanc's post about his conversation with j, I think we should all get behind this Google document - at least it's access-restricted.

I'm in.

BTW, this is not my experience, but let me tell you what a friend went through, my friend is thinking of small claims court at the moment.
My friend sent a NWT Suit to the buyer, and buyer does not contact my friend for nearly three weeks. He contacts him saying the jacket had a hole on the shoulder and he wishes to return the suit for a full refund. My friend told the buyer the suit did not originally have a hole and asked the buyer to take pics. My friend also asked the buyer why he took so long to raise this issue. Buyer never responded but immediately filed a Paypal SNAD. My friend arranges return of the suit, and when he gets it:
1. The suit did have a rip rather than a hole on the shoulder.
2. The tags had been removed.
3. The pants had been altered, length cut, and cuffs on originally unhemmed pants.
4. The sleeves had been shortened.
5. The suit appeared to have been worn.
My friend takes issue with Paypal, but eventually loses the case. Buyer posts negative feedback as well.
What really happened? Buyer got the suit, was pleased with it enough to have it altered, wore it and snagged it on something, then expected full refund.

I am thinking now, although this makes no difference with Paypal, that we should all video tape our packing and posting of the suit, capture it on camera. Video tape receiving and opening any return box. Not admissable for Paypal, but in a small claims court with a witness, could make all the difference. To get around the returning problem (i.e. witness may not be present when postman comes by, let the package go to the slip stage where you have to pick up yourself from PO).

That sucks! :(

Sadly, I don't think there is any hope for your friend. I think I remember someone saying Paypal/eBay doesn't accept digital evidence (photos,videos,etc). Hell, they don't accept any evidence. I provided them with crystal clear evidence and they brushed it off. :brick:

Deets?? :D

Last edited:

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And passed bunch of other stuff including the ugliest Charvet I have ever seen (really Nataku, I'm serious dude), couple of old Benson &Clegg shirts, Zegna shirts, orphaned Armani and Oxxford jackets ., aJPress trad suit etc. After getting a neg. feedback from a buyer who never contacted me but claimed a J&M Aristocraft shoe (J&M!!) is fake I don't want to do eBay any more thus passing stuff that do not fit me. That rating was not removed despite of the buyer 1. did not answer mails 2. did not return shoes 3. did not ask money back. How about that? So I feel you guys' pain.

Anyway, my daughter wants to do a thrift for charity project for high school. Maybe will help her when she starts.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score

Ebay basically said they don't base feedback on the truth, it's the buyers opinion of the situation, but he did threaten to contact other members on ebay about my bad "policy" so that part of the feedback was removed.

On the somewhat sketchy/wtf side of things he has been googling me and found my old dating profile link (yes I was on a dating site lol). Just a little creepy. Sent me the link through ebay messages so reported that to ebay and we shall see if they take any action. Has anyone ever dealt with this kind of situation?

MattR

Reaction score

Ebay basically said they don't base feedback on the truth, it's the buyers opinion of the situation, but he did threaten to contact other members on ebay about my bad "policy" so that part of the feedback was removed.

On the somewhat sketchy/wtf side of things he has been googling me and found my old dating profile link (yes I was on a dating site lol). Just a little creepy. Sent me the link through ebay messages so reported that to ebay and we shall see if they take any action. Has anyone ever dealt with this kind of situation?

Ha, wow. What a creeper.

The weird thing is it is emphatically NOT a matter of opinion whether the item arrived or didn't arrive. I mean, I can say I'm Napoleon, but that doesn't make me Napoleon.

datsunfan

Reaction score
I found more shoes that are just a size off today. Burgundy Alden 905's 8.5 B/D. They look like they have only been worn outside once or twice and are available. I also found a pair of new AE McAllister wingtips in size 14 AAA that I didn't buy. In the unlikely scenario that someone happens to be that size and wants me to proxy I can go back and get them (they're close so it would be no trouble).

IMG_56621-1.jpg

GHo

Reaction score

I found more shoes that are just a size off today. Burgundy Alden 905's 8.5 B/D. They look like they have only been worn outside once or twice and are available. I also found a pair of new AE McAllister wingtips in size 14 AAA that I didn't buy. In the unlikely scenario that someone happens to be that size and wants me to proxy I can go back and get them (they're close so it would be no trouble).
IMG_56621-1.jpg

nice shoes

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads