The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Really sucks what happened - I'm dreading that myself, I know it'll happen at some point.

I do think everyone's expressed interest in an ebay blacklist - if we keep access restricted, a Google spreadsheet may be the best way to do it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...EttcTNQVmV1OVNUOERYMVdjUXI0ZHc&hl=en_US#gid=0

Since SF is apparently not interested in this judging from alanc's post about his conversation with j, I think we should all get behind this Google document - at least it's access-restricted.

Oh, and here's a photo of the Lands End and the J. Press Magees from yesterday - I found the labels very interesting, too. LE on the left, Press on the right. LE is ~24" pit to pit; Press is ~22.75-23" pit to pit:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

2. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

My mom once told me she had her own, original copy of the White Album, until she left it on her car dashboard and it melted.

3. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

+ 1 I am game.

BTW, this is not my experience, but let me tell you what a friend went through, my friend is thinking of small claims court at the moment.

My friend sent a NWT Suit to the buyer, and buyer does not contact my friend for nearly three weeks. He contacts him saying the jacket had a hole on the shoulder and he wishes to return the suit for a full refund. My friend told the buyer the suit did not originally have a hole and asked the buyer to take pics. My friend also asked the buyer why he took so long to raise this issue. Buyer never responded but immediately filed a Paypal SNAD. My friend arranges return of the suit, and when he gets it:
    1. The suit did have a rip rather than a hole on the shoulder.
    2. The tags had been removed.
    3. The pants had been altered, length cut, and cuffs on originally unhemmed pants.
    4. The sleeves had been shortened.
    5. The suit appeared to have been worn.
    My friend takes issue with Paypal, but eventually loses the case. Buyer posts negative feedback as well.
    What really happened? Buyer got the suit, was pleased with it enough to have it altered, wore it and snagged it on something, then expected full refund.

I am thinking now, although this makes no difference with Paypal, that we should all video tape our packing and posting of the suit, capture it on camera. Video tape receiving and opening any return box. Not admissable for Paypal, but in a small claims court with a witness, could make all the difference. To get around the returning problem (i.e. witness may not be present when postman comes by, let the package go to the slip stage where you have to pick up yourself from PO).

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

^^^^

Wow, that's ridiculous. A store wouldn't take that kind of thing back, but eBay sellers are expected to?

Anyone tried selling on etsy? I'm wondering if there would be less hassle there. Less buyers too, unfortunately.

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

How do you block people from bidding on your stuff?

7. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

9. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

As a general rule, albums that sold twelve bajillion copies are not especially valuable to collectors. Because there are twelve bajillion of them.

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i was a rock critic back in the late 70s and early 80s and had a pretty massive record collection that gradually got whittled down. Finally about a year ago I figured I would do one last pass, hold on to only things that I really loved and couldn't find on CD. There was a pretty big stack, and i figured i'd get a couple hundred bucks. Went back to the store and at first they said they only wanted about a third of them :(; but then they said they'd give me $800 for the ones they did want. :slayer: and now i'm killing myself trying to figure out what the hidden gems were that i had missed. :foo:

11. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

I was able to get one removed, but speaking to the ebay person on the phone, it was only because the person sent me a message indicating that they wanted to remove the negative feedback as it was done in error before the problem was resolved. Even this was biased against the seller.

12. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Former rock critic? I'm a current jazz writer. I've just begun my quest to not look like a slob since the guys I'm usually interviewing are quite fashionable. But I know a classical critic who wears black jeans to the symphony, so I guess dressing well isn't a requirement in this business.

As per the record discussion, I just almost bought a thrifted copy of American Classical Music by Ahmad Jamal signed by the pianist ... and I just looked it up, and it's listed for ... OK I'm going back right now.

13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

ha! i swear, being first a sportswriter and then a rock writer is what set me back about 15 years in my dressing. jeans and tee shirts were the orders of the day. anything else was suspect.

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

Try being a software developer... Jeans are de rigueur

15. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Yeah, I guess going to a jazz show is a bit better fashion-wise than watching from a press box or going to a concert — but vintage-y suits and ties do seem to be the dress code for the "hip" bluegrass set. I'd really be surprised, however, to look up at the press box at a Braves game and see Mark Bowman or somebody like that in a suit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.