The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Well, yeah, it's more like 30 seconds. But I didn't want to sounds like a crazy :uhoh:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

[​IMG]

3. amadar

amadar Senior member

Bunch of near misses today. Canali Milano SC, side vented in a 38R, but with this terrible really open weave fabric/pattern that just screamed 80's-90's.

Also a semi-recent Corneliani SC (can't remember the size), double vented, but in the ugliest color of green I have ever seen, like a green/yellow, also a little scuffed up on one shoulder.

First W.W. Chan sighting, but looked like it may have been an orphan and had several rips in the lining where the previous owner had torn out all references to his own name.

:cloud:

4. Nell

Nell Senior member

I found a Poole piece this summer. It was quite old, but I was a little disappointed in the quality. Nonetheless, good resale value so probably a good idea to pick it up

Also, big thanks to Andro for a great suit. Arrived in fantastic condition and at a great price. And from what it looks like, his thrift karma came through well.

Today:
    Marcus by Neiman Marcus tuxedo shirt - 17.5 by 35
    Eton for myself. Great slim fit.

Is the Marcus line still around?

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Sorry to derail the thread from the usual:

[​IMG]

6. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

^^^ I hate you a little :plain:

But seriously, great finds!

7. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Deets?

8. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

+1, with the addition of dibs for large dudes. :D

As far as Henry Poole goes - David did a good bit on Savile Row suits that use construction shortcuts and so on and so forth. I think the idea is that they're less concerned with ostentatious handwork than the Italian tailors and more concerned with good solid English work that suits the person. At least, that's just my impression...

and the Poole I found awhile back would seem to bear this out. I really need to figure out what to do about it... it's a three-piece suit in a nice pattern so I'm sure it'd move in resale, but like Nataku said, he's gone ten years without seeing it. I really don't get how different things show up in different areas... he sees no Kiton and I find a tie on discount; he sees no Savile Row and I find one in the middle of nowhere. Then again, I've never seen Billy Reid or Steven Alan or Barbour outerwear or... or... or...

This thread is enabling an addiction, y'know - the tantalizing idea that just one store over the horizon you, too, could find an Attolini and shed tears of joy! :nodding:

9. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

They're both an EU52.

10. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    As is US/UK 42.. Holy moly. Let me know if you're interested in selling.

11. MattR

MattR Senior member

So this stuff pales in comparison to literally every other find today, but here it goes anyway.

Grabbed these two ties. Top is Lands' End and bottom is BB Makers

[​IMG]

My "new" Pendleton scarf. Wore it out tonight in the shitty NoVa cold:

[​IMG]

These are the Zegna pants I picked up. Tagged US 38. I actually think they are corduroys, although I've never seen slanted ribs on corduroys. In any case, super soft, 60% cotton and 40% bamboo. The front button is pretty neat, too. Up for grabs if anyone is interested.

Size:
    Waist = 19"
    Outseam = 46.5"
    Inseam = 35.5"
    Rise = 11"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

I'm interested in the navy one...

13. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

I almost started crying when I found a Chan and realized it was too big for me and beyond tailoring to my size. It was mint and I had a spiritual experience when I found it. Now my brother is wearing it and I am left with a crushed and blackened soul.

14. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Been a while, but here are pics as promised for some of the stuff thrifted this w/end. Been really bogged down with eBay crap :mad:. Why, oh why, are all you guys a complete pleasure to deal with? You are all very decent people, relatively relaxed, generally pleasant human beings. All deals so far with you guys has been effortless, civil, and rather pleasant. Then I try to sell things on eBay, and holy shit, what a big big difference. I am having such huge hastles right now from a couple of buyers, with one guy being such a complete dick. My head is really hurting right now, and I do not mean that literally, my head is actually pumping with a headache caused by all this stress :( . I am never selling second hand suits on eBay again - ever. First and last time. One guy threatened a SNAD because I sent single pleat pants and he thinks they are flat front despite auction saying they were pleated. He then later changed his mind and decided that there is a hole in the sleeve now and he now wants a partial refund so he can fix the hole. I dont even know if this butthead wants to keep the suit or not ............ I am questioning my sanity, I checked that suit, no holes. How come there is now a hole? I give up ..........

I take my hat off to you guys, it is truly wonderful to be here on this forum, I appreciate it much more now than I did a few weeks ago.

Pics of Thomas Pink Shirts and Turnbull and Asser, all size 17.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pics of Tom Ford
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

I'd take all the Pink ones if they were one inch short in the neck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.