• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
From this weekend:

Slate blue Pal Zileri suit -- The jacket is unlined and the whole feel of it is of a nice lightweight summer suit. It is from the diffusion "Pull" line but it is still pretty nice and fits me well.

Bluish/Green Canali suit -- 3 button which I like, even though it is largely SF frowned upon. Fits me like a glove.

Beige/white stripe linen jacket from Nils Sundstrom -- Never heard of the brand but the jacket is very nice.

Yellow with red paisely tie by Seaward and Stern

Blue check BB non-iron shirt with FC -- nice workhorse piece.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift store bargains are few and far between here in the Rust Belt, so I was happy to nab a $75 NWT Polo belt for $10 shipped on the 'bay.

Pawz

Reaction score
DELETE

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Today's weird moment: As I'm looking through the suits, some older guy comes up to me and compliments my hair (which is in dire need of a cut, actually). He kept calling it luscious. Alright, thanks buddy. Moving along now....

jack-nicholson-creepy-gif.gif

:laugh: I still think we need a separate thread for this. My creepiest thrift store moments are still courtesy of the dude copping pee-stained pants and the one old guy just standing there staring at the middle school cheerleading outfit and being all like :nodding: .

EDIT: And the gd camera-sized ceiliing holes right over the dressing rooms...and nowhere else. :uhoh:

Last edited:

MattR

Reaction score

:laugh: I still think we need a separate thread for this. My creepiest thrift store moments are still courtesy of the dude copping pee-stained pants and the one old guy just standing there staring at the middle school cheerleading outfit and being all like :nodding: .
EDIT: And the gd camera-sized ceiliing holes right over the dressing rooms...and nowhere else. :uhoh:

:lol:

That gif is a lot of how it felt, except he looked way more like Rip Taylor than Jack N.

toscano_adottato

Reaction score

:lol:

That gif is a lot of how it felt, except he looked way more like Rip Taylor than Jack N.

I don't look like that and I never once commented on your hair!

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a pretty rough weekend at work so I decided to treat myself to an hour of thrifting. Went to one store and picked up a grey PRL half-zip sweater. On the way home, I decided to stop at a consignment store that I sometimes frequent but rarely buy anything due to pretty high pricing for not much quality, but today I found a couple of nice things.

E. Zegna SC Tagged 40R

E. Zegna SC Tagged 40R

Canali SC Tagged 44L

Sorry for the pics, I took them on the fly!

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
Yes...I did meet future barrister MattR and his lovely fiancee/girlfriend. He is added to the list of people to whom I will inevitably turn for pro bono legal advice once the bodies are found in the crawlspace. At least I know he'll dress well at the hearing.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry for the pics, I took them on the fly!

I like that Canali SC, I am usually 46L, but I fit some 44L's. I a few too many trades going on now, hard to keep it together, but PM me and let me know if there is anything you want / need.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had one of those days where everything goes wrong until it goes right.
Today's weird moment: As I'm looking through the suits, some older guy comes up to me and compliments my hair (which is in dire need of a cut, actually). He kept calling it luscious. Alright, thanks buddy. Moving along now....

I guess he wanted a little bit of action

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow! :laugh:

My thrifting luck has sucked lately. Today though, the "tax season" luck found me. After a disappointing walk around one of my weekly-hit stores, I went to the other weekly-hit store. I go to both as if one doesn't have anything, the other one will usually make up for it.

Walk in and see a semi well-dressed guy flipping through the suit rack looking at labels. "Damn!" I high-tailed it to the opposite end of the rack and went into power-thrift mode. Bang! One, two three Oxxford suits right off the bat. Then a fourth - a cool tan checkered suit. Further down, a black Oxxford "Pure Cashmere" blazer. Then another Oxxford suit jacket (minus the pants).

I'd hate to know what the other guy was thinking. I'm guessing my facial expression struck a keen resemblance to Rat Fink as I grabbed the suits/jackets and searched for more. Turned the store upside-down. Left a dark tan orphaned suit jacket behind. Grabbed two pairs of Oxxford trousers too. One khaki and one pair of possible orphaned trousers. Green nailhead fabric. Rare Editions. Fairly recent with the larger fabric content/size tag. Maybe I or another TC thrifter will find the jacket.

Rat Fink, for those who don't know what I'm talking about.

All in all, a great day.

- 4 Oxxford suits. Navy pinstripe, Navy chalkstripe , navy tonal stripe and tan w/ blue and yellow checks
- 1 Oxxford Pure Cashmere blazer
- 2 Oxxford trousers. One solid light khaki w/ flat front. Other is a possible orphan - green nailhead fabric
- 2 Smartwool sweaters
- Allen Edmonds "Mac Neil" in Shell Cordovan. 11 C
- Nakamichi Sound Space 5 stereo system with manuals, remotes and spare speaker grille covers.

Last edited:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Wow!
laugh.gif

My thrifting luck has sucked lately. Today though, the "tax season" luck found me. After a disappointing walk around one of my weekly-hit stores, I went to the other weekly-hit store. I go to both as if one doesn't have anything, the other one will usually make up for it.
Walk in and see a semi well-dressed guy flipping through the suit rack looking at labels. "Damn!" I high-tailed it to the opposite end of the rack and went into power-thrift mode. Bang! One, two three Oxxford suits right off the bat. Then a fourth - a cool tan checkered suit. Further down, a black Oxxford "Pure Cashmere" blazer. Then another Oxxford suit jacket (minus the pants).
I'd hate to know what the other guy was thinking. I'm guessing my facial expression struck a keen resemblance to Rat Fink as I grabbed the suits/jackets and searched for more. Turned the store upside-down. Left a dark tan orphaned suit jacket behind. Grabbed two pairs of Oxxford trousers too. One khaki and one pair of possible orphaned trousers. Green nailhead fabric. Rare Editions. Fairly recent with the larger fabric content/size tag. Maybe I or another TC thrifter will find the jacket.
Rat Fink, for those who don't know what I'm talking about.

All in all, a great day.
- 4 Oxxford suits. Navy pinstripe, Navy chalkstripe , navy tonal stripe and tan w/ blue and yellow checks
- 1 Oxxford Pure Cashmere blazer
- 2 Oxxford trousers. One solid light khaki w/ flat front. Other is a possible orphan - green nailhead fabric
- 2 Smartwool sweaters
- Allen Edmonds "Mac Neil" in Shell Cordovan. 11 C
- Nakamichi Sound Space 5 stereo system with manuals, remotes and spare speaker grille covers.

wow nice haul!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads