Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

NY, I can imagine the amount of clothing that is available there.. but damn...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

2. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

You are correct about the cashmere. I just couldn't bring the fabric to mind when I was typing. The loud ties, OTOH will never be loud enough to drown out the sound of Spoo screaming at me in my head to leave them on the rack. So I do.

3. woolnotmutton

Solid haul.

4. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

anyone have any idea about the value of a womens Brioni mink fur coat?

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Assuming condition is great, I would say $2K as a starting point.

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

As in what to pay, or what to sell it for?

8. woolnotmutton

a crap load. did you just thrift this?

9. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Found one for sale in the LOW 3 figure range. Hoping that's a good buy price and wondering what I could sell it for.

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

Got a lot of cool stuff today, but my first find of the morning was the best...

NWOT Alden's, size 11.5 AAAA/AAA (?) Any tips on the name of the style or how much these should go for on the 'bay appreciated. I think it's this one:

http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho_comf_757.htm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Looks like they tried a tongue pad and couldn't make them work?

My other big treasure today is this Robert Talbott 7 fold tie... I was checking out and saw that they had some stuff in a case that they had decided was more valuable... In this case they were right. This is the first 7 fold I've ever seen. Pretty cool. Again, tips on listing or price much appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's numbered 39/40, so I'm guessing this is a limited production and each one is numbered?

[​IMG]

A couple more nice ties... Brioni and Paul Stuart. I think I'm going to keep the Paul Stuart, 'cause I like the colors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A couple ties just for me, Brooks Brothers Makers and Gant:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found another Hickey Freeman suit... Grey flannel 40R. Found 2 more Harris Tweeds to flip.

Found some nice shirts... A NWT linen Hickey Freeman... This thing is heavy. Must be double ply linen:

[​IMG]

A canali sportshirt:
    [​IMG]

Lots of Brooks Brothers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also several Hickey Freeman and some Ike Behar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    16/34

[​IMG]
    16/34

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ike Behar wool flannel casual shirt. Very soft.

I'm thinking about making batches of shirts of the same size for eBay... 2 or 3 per. Anybody tried this?

I got a great Woolrich parka for me for the winter and playing in the snow. Looks like it's hardly been worn.
    [​IMG]

Now for the weird stuff I found but didn't kop... First a huge overcoat that must have weighed 15 lbs. It had buttons that say "Canada". Canadian navy maybe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, matching Pendleton shirt / sportcoats? They are shirt weight but cut like a sportcoat with leather buttons?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, any hints for eBay or pricing would be great. Thanks guys!

11. MattR

MattR Senior member

Good lord, dude! I really like that Woolrich jacket. Should be very comfy.

Re: The Pendeltons. I think they make a shirt jacket as well as blazers. (see here: http://awemator.tumblr.com/post/13195300124/found-two-really-great-pieces-from-pendleton-today). I'm a big fan of their shirts. Wool is a bit itchy, but with an tshirt underneath you'd never know. Otherwise, very handsome.

12. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Thanks for the info. I have to say much of the Tom James stuff I see is actually pretty nice. Maybe I'll start paying more attention to it if it's my size and from one of their better lines.

Today's finds....My first Harris Tweed that wasn't eaten by moths. It's a 50R but it actually is only slightly large on me...I might keep it. A really cool LL Bean linen/cotton sweater vest. Made in Ireland in my size so I'm going to hang onto it. Also found a pair of Pebble Grain Florsheim's in black. Listed a 10.5B but they seem to run small. My 9.5D can almost wear them..a bit snug in the width.

Last was a Crombie made in Great Britain overcoat. It's tagged 36R, It's grey and I think it may be NWOT. It's from Bloomingdale's, and one of the pockets has a paper tag in it that looks like something you would pull out after buying. If it's not new it was worn very little. This will be for sale/trade...I'll have pictures tomorrow.

13. tben

tben Senior member

Again, any hints for eBay or pricing would be great. Thanks guys!

Nice finds. I passed on a similar Woolrich coat with plaid liner and I still regret it.

14. bjornb17

bjornb17 Senior member

Scored a like-new pair of AE Delrays off of ebay for $70. I've been wanting to buy a pair of these for a long time.

15. codhead

codhead Senior member

I'd be inclined to list them separately on BiN listings, or if you are going to auction them, stagger the end times. If you pair them up and someone likes one but not the other, it may put them off bidding. If you offer to combine postage too, that should help.

One other suggestion if you're listing on auction: Unless you're 100% confident that your listing will attract lots of bids (and obviously lots of money), never, ever start a listing at $0.99c, that may just be the price it sells at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.