• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhead

Reaction score

Yes Canali is 52L Euro, which probably means a 40L - 42L US size.

A tip with sizing Canali and a couple of the other Italian makers who size more to the "trim" figure.

Instead of just deducting 10 from the size, a more accurate method is to multiply the Canali size by 0.79. So a 52 Italian would equate to 41.08 or 41" nominal

Last edited:

codhead

Reaction score

Any high profile SR stuff (A&S, Henry Poole, etc) brings in big bucks here and on eBay. I tried to snipe a few A&S suits on the bay last year - to my dismay they ended at $400. A bit out of my price-range, to say the least.

A fact that many people overlook is the probable reason you don't see so many SR true bespoke suits & coats out there is that people keep them. Once speaking to the guys at Huntsman, they told me it was not unusual for someone to bring his grandfather's dress suit in to be altered to suit him. I've just listed a swallow-tail, white-tie suit on eBay and when I was detailing it, I was truly amazed at the amount of hand-stitching that was apparent. It's not Savile Row bespoke but it is dated 1927 and is in absolutely fantastic condition, take a look at this detail:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you've got the ones I know of covered! :)
Any high profile SR stuff (A&S, Henry Poole, etc) brings in big bucks here and on eBay. I tried to snipe a few A&S suits on the bay last year - to my dismay they ended at $400. A bit out of my price-range, to say the least.

Learn something new everyday, next time I see one, I grab in that case.

A tip with sizing Canali and a couple of the other Italian makers who size more to the "trim" figure.
Instead of just deducting 10 from the size, a more accurate method is to multiply the Canali size by 0.79. So a 52 Italian would equate to 41.08 or 41" nominal

That is a curious piece of information. If correct, that is another new piece of info learned today.

Last edited:

codhead

Reaction score

That is a curious piece of information. If correct, that is another new piece of info learned today.

I've flipped quite a number of Canali coats & suits over the years and never once have I been pulled up on that sizing formula. Any of my listings for Canali clearly state the method.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thread prompted me to write these down. Feel free to agree/disagree/offer improvements.

[COLOR=FF00AA]The 10 Commandments of Thrifting Neckwear.[/COLOR]

1. Thrifted ties must be silk only. You shall have no other fabrics before it (except some wools and such).
2. You shall not thrift counterfeit Hermes.
3. You shall not shout the name of the tie you have thrifted in exaltation, lest it be taken from your cart while in the fitting room.
4. Remember the knot area, to check it for chin grease.
5. Honor your neck size and your torso length.
6. You shall not snag the thread of a grenadine just before reaching the cashier and then replace it on the rack.
7. You shall not thrift ties which have loud prints.
8. You shall not steal. (Sometimes, there's just no improving on the original!)
9. You shall not falsely advise the shlub holding the pink Attolini against purchasing it so that you may have it instead.
10. You shall not covet an unpurchased tie from another's cart.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came across a couple of pair of black patent leather formal shoes last week that looked nearly new but were one of those "House O' Tux" brand shoes like Stanley Blacker (but not even that) and they wer under $10. I rarely see formal footwear but I rarely wear my formal suit. That said, I don't really have the proper shoes o wear with the suit. Would you grab them as a place holder or wait for the day a REAL pair of Aldens show up?

I'm sure these would do fine with my stupid notched lapel tux if I had to wear it on a moment's notice (yeah right).

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another thread prompted me to write these down. Feel free to agree/disagree/offer improvements.

Was out yesterday (we are out of town for the w/e...and still feel the need to hot thrift stores) and could not find the ties. To my horror I see a woman carrying a handful of ties around. She pointed me in the direction they were at...but I couldn't help but wonder if there was anything decent she had that I missed by 15 minutes? I found a Holland & Sherry (do they license ties because it says made in US?). Passed on some Tom James ties. They were they higher end one they sell and quite well made...I was going to buy one, but saw a small spot so I passed.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This should have it's own thread.
1. Thrifted ties must be silk only. You shall have no other fabrics before it (except some wools and such).
3. You shall not shout the name of the tie you have thrifted in exaltation, lest it be taken from your cart while in the fitting room.
6. You shall not snag the thread of a grenadine just before reaching the cashier and then replace it on the rack.
9. You shall not falsely advise the shlub holding the pink Attolini against purchasing it so that you may have it instead.

11. You shall not buy ties with brands like Pierre Cardin, Geoffrey Beene, Van Heusen, etc...
12. If a tie says made in Italy, it must be made in Italy. None of that made with silk from Italy in china stuff.

cincydavid

Reaction score
I made a small haul yesterday at a small thrift that is spotty at best: To Boot New York brown suede bucks with lug sole, brand spanking new $4(it was 50% off day), Cole Haan Italian made bit loafers, brown, $3, need heels and a good polish. Bought my better half a 3/4 length fox fur coat too...$12.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Canali n the US is for business men who are hardly trim.

Instead of mathematical formulae, just measure the thing. The chest will measure one to tour inches larger than the labelled size us or eu; less for fashion cuts, more for trad ones.

Also remember anything you buy secondhand may have been altered, sometimes extremely or strangely.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

11. Often times that tie is there for a reason... there is something wrong with it.

12. Check for pulls at an angle. They often dont show up looking strait on.

13. Pattern ties hide stains well, look carefully.

14. Check both ends of the spine to ensure they are not loose

15. Inspect the three edges on the tip. Wear areas or even holes are hard to see sometimes

16. Runs are harder to spot than you think. Check again.

17. Wool ties in a thrift usually have moth holes.

18. You dont really need another Robert Talbott.

19. If you are 5' 4" dont buy the extra long tie just because its a Zegna unless you want to flip it.

20. Its not all about the brand. I have seen some superb quality ties from brands you'd never associate that with.

ilikethelights

Reaction score
The lady and I spent most of yesterday driving around to parts of town we don't usually thrift at and mostly came away with a whole lot of nothing. Only find was this Barbour quilted vest:

Marked at the store as a 2xl but doesn't have an actual size tag that I can find. Way too big for me either way so I can send measurements if anyone's interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads