The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I'm guessing he has 12 kids and thats only 9 new shirts per kid... not to bad for $123!

2. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Found a 100% cashmere Kiton Napoli jacket in a beautiful plaid today...only problem was that it had a small hole in the fabric right around the 2nd button! mint every where else. pointed out the flaw to the sale clerk and received a very, uh, competitive price on the garment. what's the largest size hole that can be re-weaved?

3. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

I'd say centimeter or less, but good reweavers can probably do bigger. I think you made the right decision though, just find a good reweaver and spend like $40 and you got yourself a Kiton!

And I think that Pics should be a requirement for Kiton finds in this thread :p

4. mco543

mco543 Senior member

Today yielded a 3rd of polo pants (most likely from the same donor) that fit me very nice, this pair is a brown/cream nailhead or something similar with forward pleats for $10.00

Christian Dior midnight blue pants. They're really old and vintage and seem well made, very trim cut with a high waist $3.99

Lorenzini Shirt in light blue with darker blue stripes which looks really nice and was marked at $35.00 but the half off sale got me it for $17.50. Still an exorbitant amount of money to pay for a shirt at a thrift store but i quite liked it.

From a garage sale I found a vintage Coach bag for my laptop. The leather is so soft and its so nice it's truly astonishing, and I also picked up The Who's Who Are You album and got both for $5.00 total. If the Coach bag had been at a thrift store here it would have most likely been approaching $100.00 if not exceeding it.

And for said Laptop I got a new magsafe charger from the Apple Store since mine died and since i did a trade in on my old one it came out to about $61.00

A week or so ago I found an interesting pair of cognac colored loafers. The tag says "Gift Comfort Hand Made" and Google served up nothing so I have no idea. They seem to be well-made all leather with leather soles $5.99

At the thrift I picked up the Polo pants and the Lorenzini shirt I passed on 3 pairs of Church's Custom Grade that were marked at $200.00, Yeah, old worn out beaten up Church's were marked at $200. They also had a pair of Hanover cordovan wingtips for $30 but I wasn't sure they'd be worth it to flip. At the Goodwill I found what I'm assuming was a custom white Zegna shirt with a size TWENTY neck.

It's getting to the point with all the outrageous prices on this stuff that I'm preferring to go to a different Goodwill where all the suits at 10.99, shirts 3.99, and albums 69 cents. This boutique pricing shit is getting ridiculous and that's the reason alot of the thrifts here only have a few new items when I go because no one is buying a 20+ year old dated Armani jacket for $175.00 or a Kenneth Cole shirt from the early 00's for $45.00. At the Goodwill I saw a tattered couch with an enormous shredding tear across it for $1400.00.

Pictures of all my recent finds coming tomorrow.

5. woolnotmutton

Jesus, what city/state are you in lol... thats some crazy prices for GW.

6. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

You don't see this in mid-Missouri too often:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. woolnotmutton

nice, bespoke?

8. mco543

mco543 Senior member

I live in South Florida, it's not just the one Goodwill either, I have a circuit of 6 I go to and I'd say that 4 of them are incredibly overpriced on 80% of their wares, 1 is ok to slightly overpriced, and the other Goodwill is perfect I always find something and it's by far the cheapest of them all. A couple of them mark their stuff up so high and have a perpetual 50% off sale when in reality the price should be 50% off of the 50% price. That's not taking into the other store I went to once that was pretty much just set up so a woman could overprice the shit out of her ex husband's crap. Any thrift store that lists what they believe to be the retail price of the item on the price tag is almost assuredly a store to stop going to. The only reason I go to the 4 that are really overpriced is because sometimes great stuff slips through the cracks. I know why the prices at the 2 Goodwills are so different but it's still kind of nuts to see $10.99 suits and $3.99 shirts at one compared to $29.99-39.99 suits and $12.99-19.99 shirts at the other.

9. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I don't think it is; the sleeve buttons don't work and there's no name inside the jacket.

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Well, all thrift stores in my area have been picked clean, even the usual supply of Polo Ralph Laurens and Faconnables have dissapeared (had to travel 50 miles further than I would have liked to the other end of San Fran which was more virgin territory). Saw that woman again I mentioned the other day, her cart was looking a bit bare and I scored whatever good stuff before she could, revenge is sweet :lol:

Guys were going tie crazy today, I scored a big fat zero on them. One guy had like 10 ties, and I saw the brand on one of them, it was Hermes :( Damn, I bet he only took the designer ties.

Despite everything, had a good day picking overall. I am really pleased with the Canali suit find, it is really a very nice suit and would make the buyer / trader for this suit very happy to own it :)

What I purchased:
    Canali Navy Plaid suit, SZ 52L, in very very good condition. Full canvass and double vent flap.
    Turnbull and Asser shirt, SZ 17 (Design is tough to describe)
    Ike Behar Brown shirt, SZ 17 (usually I ignore this brand, but this shirt was real nice looking)
    Zegna Powder Blue shirt, SZ 16.5
    Zilli Bronze shirt, SZ 17.5 (my first find from them, I am keeping this one ;) )

What I left behind:
    Anderson Sheppard suit. (Size unknown, did not fit me, style wise looked mid 90's)
    Oxxford Camel/Tan Sport Coat.
    Armani Polyester bomber style jacket SZ L. (almost took it, but stylewise it was too 1980's)
    Several Thomas Pink Shirts in sub standard condition.
    Zanella Dress Shirt SZ 15.5.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

11. woolnotmutton

was the A&S a bespoke, what was wrong with the Oxxford? Also the Canali is that 52L euro?

12. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

No idea on the A & S, there were no size tags so perhaps it was bespoke. If it was newer, I would have got it. It is impossible to date it, but the lapels, button stance, and slight stiffness of canvas and fabric made me wonder if this suit was very old or just too conservative for SF tastes.

Oxxford, nothing wrong with it, but it did not amaze me with wowness in terms of looks/styling. Size was 40S.

Yes Canali is 52L Euro, which probably means a 40L - 42L US size.

13. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

CB made for the RTW lines of many SR houses.

The greatest degree of customization they themselves do is MTM.

14. woolnotmutton

ic

15. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Hmm earlier post attempt didn't post - stuffs!

[​IMG]

Steven Alan XL x2, one reverse seam and one grey chambray
    Blue Turnbull & Asser 16/41, Nailhead? End on End? I don't know weaves very well.
    Bill's 32"

Brioni L
    Jil Sander 44
    EZ 39/15.5 S
    Luciano Barbera trousers, 52

First time coming across Brioni and Jil Sander, I got pretty excited and wanted a high five, but the guys near me with super gelled hair were geeking out over some polka dot Banana Republic shirts...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.