• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawz

Reaction score
DELETE

Last edited:

csoukoulis

Reaction score

Send me a PM when you arrive, I live in Bay area, we can hit some stores ;)

sounds good to me. ill be staying in san jose, and also in the east bay in discovery bay with my old man for a bit till i get back on my feet.

MattR

Reaction score

All right, I'm going to manifest my ignorance by asking a couple of n00b questions.
1. I know we are allowed to make offers via PM (I've both made and received), but are we allowed to assert any kind of preferences here? Like, could one say, "Hey if anyone finds a so-and-so, send me a note and I'll offer"?
2. Are we allowed to use PayPal to purchase/sell, or must we go through EBAY?
Please and thank you.

People do name some preferences every now and again, but there is a trading post thread that got started a while ago. Although it never seemed to be that effective. It's more scattershot, from what I can tell. Basically, "Hey I found X," followed by, "Cool, that works for me."

I've always just used Paypal for buying/selling. No issues so far as I'm aware.

Pawz

Reaction score
DELETE

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sounds good to me. ill be staying in san jose, and also in the east bay in discovery bay with my old man for a bit till i get back on my feet.

:cool:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit off the main topic but I finalized my biggest thrift find of the year. Now Maryland State inspected, tagged and on the road.

2000 Volvo V70 Cross Country
180K miles
Clean, tight and the turbo makes it surprisingly quick.
Garage kept and the original paint looks great.
Allegedly female driven from Maryland to New England for weekly antiquing trips. Sure.
$2300.

I got it for $1900 but had to update some stuff for the inspection. The P.O. promises to reimburse me but I'm not holding my breath. I was originally going to pay him $2300, knowing that it needed the additional $400 work but I held out until he finally offered it to me at a price that essentially included the repairs.

IMG_20111128_123252-1.jpg

It will replace the green '97 Avalon in the background now sporting 316K miles and a serious case of terminal rust. Broke my heart. That car wants to go forever.

IMG_20111128_123329-1.jpg

Dig is happy but tired tonight.

Last edited:

Hoofit

Reaction score
Just went to my local Savers and looked in the glass case only to see 3 pairs of Allen Edmonds all size 7D in decent condition. $69.99 each :crazy: I hope they dont start doing this with all AE shoes at this location. At that price I dont know if they will sell, I can only hope they make it to .99 cent day in a month.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I came across a set of three vintage Hartmann tweed suitcases, picked up one of them for $10. It seems to be this case, although with a much cooler lining.

There was an even larger case and a small cosmetic/vanity type case. Mainy, they're at the SA on Metcalf if you want them.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came across a set of three vintage Hartmann tweed suitcases, picked up one of them for $10. It seems to be this case, although with a much cooler lining.
There was an even larger case and a small cosmetic/vanity type case. Mainy, they're at the SA on Metcalf if you want them.

Why don't I ever find things like this?!
ffffuuuu.gif

I've been thinking about picking up some Hartmann Tweed on the 'bay but it hasn't been a pressing enough need yet.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's pretty hot! I'm not a big fan of Hartmann any longer due to their customer service (or lack thereof). I thrifted a Hartmann ballistic nylon tote bag with a brittle shoulder strap. I contacted them and they would gladly send me a new strap for just $45. No thanks.

I recently called Briggs & Riley for a replacement strap for our "good" luggage. It arrived via UPS, next day, no charge, as in free strap and free shipping. No proof of purchase required. Five year old luggage.

THAT'S freaking customer service.

I'm still kicking myself for passing on a small B & R suitcase that matched my own because I felt I didn't need any more. SWMBO quickly adjusted my attitude for me but it was gone when I went back the next day. :brick:

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Big fat nothing today.....
Did see a **** ton of bespoke shirts in a very small size, also an Oxxford Crest shirt, nice but not that nice.
Some other mediocre stuff.....I had high hopes.

Same here. Waste of gas and time. Would have been super happy with that Oxxford Crest shirt. Nicest thing I found was an ivory Versace Classic V2 dinner jacket. A bit dirty and tagged $14.99. Needless to say it was left behind.

IMG_20111128_123252-1.jpg

It will replace the green '97 Avalon in the background now sporting 316K miles and a serious case of terminal rust. Broke my heart. That car wants to go forever.
IMG_20111128_123329-1.jpg

Dig is happy but tired tonight.

Glad you found a new ride! Volvos are great cars. I had a 2001 S60 T5 for awhile. Make sure the timing belt/waterpump service has been done recently. They should be done every 70k miles. They have interference engines and a broken timing belt could cost you a new engine.

Also, this website will be your new friend:

http://ipdusa.com/

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...Glad you found a new ride! Volvos are great cars. I had a 2001 S60 T5 for awhile. Make sure the timing belt/waterpump service has been done recently. They should be done every 70k miles. They have interference engines and a broken timing belt could cost you a new engine.
Also, this website will be your new friend:
http://ipdusa.com/

Will do and thanks for the kind words and the link!

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Just went to my local Savers and looked in the glass case only to see 3 pairs of Allen Edmonds all size 7D in decent condition. $69.99 each
crazy.gif
I hope they dont start doing this with all AE shoes at this location. At that price I dont know if they will sell, I can only hope they make it to .99 cent day in a month.

My size my size! I would have been excited even if they were $20 or $30, but $70....
crazy.gif
Did any happen to be black Park Ave in mint condition?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads