The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Todays report on thrifting:

Walked into a thrift store, walked right out. After 15 minutes of finding parking, went into the store and it was like a zoo in there. The line at the check outs stretched to the back of the store. I will hit it another day, but maybe not so late in the afternoon.

Also visited a consignment store I recently found. The suits were nothing special, an older Brioni they wanted $500 for. Quit looking at suits immediately, and after flicking through a few $40 Ralph Lauren Polo shirts that were second hand, I decided that this was not going to be my day finding shirts. The lady running the store was also rude as fuck. I greeted her nicely, she just looked at me as if I had impregnated her daughter and left her weeping at the altar. When I asked her if she had ties, she agressively pointed to the back of the store. I walked there and she yelled at me that I was looking in the wrong place. I said, well come down and just show me where they are. She did, but her ties were brutally priced and actually more expensive than Saks Off Fifth. I thought fuck this bullshit, Im outta here. She gave me real evils as I left the store, I dont think I will be returning.

I did double check at home to see if a booger was hanging out my nose or if some quantum event turned my countenance into those lizzard beings from "V" or some kind of evil doppelganger.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

@mainy, cool find!

What are the sizes on the APCs?

3. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

My wife wants to know why I am laughing so hard I am having trouble breathing.

4. mainy

mainy Senior member

34 I think, new standard. really skinny. wonder who bought them and gave them away.

Bag pics, flash makes it look more beat up than it is (isn't perfect, really just needs to be cleaned up though. 20 years old and still in great shape + has handle clasp and luggage tag!):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

^ Too much flash on the tag, who makes it?
    Are you in Canada?

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I didn't laugh. It was pathetic. Probably food poisoning mixed with gluttony. A most disgusting article.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:worship: :slayer:

Enjoy the moment, that's a once in a lifetime find. The stores around here seem to look at everything under a microscope to make sure there isn't any chance of losing potential profit.

On another note, anyone notice thrift store traffic has gone up considerably over the past few weeks? Likely due to the holiday season, but still. Even at 10:30 am on a Wednesday it's packed. Seriously, do people work anymore?

8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

My guess:

Bad economic conditions + holiday season = high thrift traffic

9. swiego

swiego Senior member

Does anyone know a tailor named Peter So? Picked up a couple of jackets made by him. They are unbelievably well made (for me anyway) - soft, quality fabric, gorgeous detailing. They are very heavy for sport coats; definitely good cold weather jackets. Both were cheap, about $60 each and they fit perfectly.

10. MattR

MattR Senior member

Humor designed for the lowest common denominator, to be sure.

11. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I'll give you $50 plus shipping :rotflmao:

Great find Mainy!!!!!

12. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

[​IMG]

Not in the here in the Rust Belt they don't. But I have overheard more than a few folks perusing the sweater racks for the perfect garment to wear to one of these Ugly Sweater parties that seem to be on the rise. Is it possible that it is a sneaky plan perpetuated by the thrift store industry to move some of their less desirable garments?

13. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    That's your proof its real.. i think your profit on that will be about 5000%

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

$60 is cheap (for thrifts)? :confused:

Yeah, that was my thoughts too...

15. orchestrion

orchestrion Active Member

I went to a couple stores earlier this evening. Nothing good at the first one, but the second store I hit had quite a few nice sport coats. Alas, they were all far too big. I usually wear a 36, so when I saw the Harris Tweed with a store tag that read "36" my heart stopped. Too big. I got it anyway. I'll try and get a picture with measurements up later in case anyone is interested or has more information about it. I also grabbed a few ties that I liked, I'll try and get pictures of them up soon as well. Like I said in my first post, I'm new to most of this so I'm just trying to find good stuff that fits me. I couldn't resist the Harris Tweed though. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.