• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Picked up what I can only guess is a vintage Pierre Cardin black velvet blazer. Double vent. Needs some repair work, but the thing fits awesomely.
The other day on the way home I popped into a store that usually lacks anything good, but it looked like someone dropped off a bunch of vintage ties. I grabbed a Christian Dior and a Resilio. The Dior looked real albeit old. I had to pass on two other diors because one had a terrible pattern and the other unfortunately had mustard stains.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I really want to see the one with the terrible pattern. :laugh:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Diplomats are gorgeous. Ughh, blast these confounded clown feet (size 12.5D). I've been looking for a pair of Strands in my size literally for months. I think I'm going to have to end up biting the bullet and get some from the 'bay.

Found my first "Made in England" shoes yesterday - 2 pairs of Church's Diplomats, black and brown, both in my size:

Left behind a pair of black AE Strands (10.5) in similar condition. Assuming they're still there, I'd be happy to pick up for someone at cost ($25 or so plus shipping). PM me if that's your size and you're interested.

boweryboy

Reaction score
I've got a secret thrift spot and I found something interesting but wanted to check on the authenticity here first.

It is a Pierre Cardin overcoat allegedly from the '60s.

http://img0.etsystatic.com/il_570xN.284940004.jpg
This is one identifying mark which is the gold script.

The other label states in gold stitching: "(a shape similar to an r or a wave) and then Pierre Cardin", underneath "Paris-New York".

Is this one of those licensed pieces of garbage or a good one?

rayxlui

Reaction score
A couple of finds over the past couple of weeks.

Ties:
IMG_0292.jpg

From left to right.
Hermes, Thom Browne, Thomas Pink, Giorgio Armani, Arny's of Paris, Hermes, Hermes, Drake's, Brioni and Fendi.

Commes des Garcon Jacket in M. However with the avant garde sizing, M, is like L-XL.
IMG_0287.jpg

Versace Suit in 46R. Seems nearly brand new, one of the pockets is still sewn shut. A bit wrinkled however.
IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's real, but just in case.
Spoo3.gif

Oxxford Suit in 41R. Also seems unused. It has flat fronted pants!
IMG_0277.jpg

Brioni DB Blazer in 40R. My size, but don't have the need for a DB coat.
IMG_0284.jpg

RLPL Shirt in L
IMG_0289.jpg

Everything is up for sale/trade.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this one probably gets filed under the "they don't make 'em like they used to" category. It's what looks to me to be a Navy Issue peacoat. This thing is a freaking tank...It seriously weighs more than like all of the suits I own, combined. Not really...but kinda. I know it's old, but no idea how old. 50s? 60s? Beuller? If anyone could fill me in, it'd be much appreciated. Anyhow, the exterior is in fantastic condition (no doubt, due in part, to tank-like construction). Minimal button wear, no snags or tears, very quality. The inside lining has a few loose strings, and one part where the stitching has come undone, but it's otherwise also in great shape. Really cool piece.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this one probably gets filed under the "they don't make 'em like they used to" category. It's what looks to me to be a Navy Issue peacoat. This thing is a freaking tank...It seriously weighs more than like all of the suits I own, combined. Not really...but kinda. I know it's old, but no idea how old. 50s? 60s? Beuller? If anyone could fill me in, it'd be much appreciated. Anyhow, the exterior is in fantastic condition (no doubt, due in part, to tank-like construction). Minimal button wear, no snags or tears, very quality. The inside lining has a few loose strings, and one part where the stitching has come undone, but it's otherwise also in great shape. Really cool piece.

That thing is awesome. And my size ;)

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brioni Orphaned DB Coat. Could be used as a blazer I suppose.
IMG_0284.jpg

Metal buttons and patch pockets? That's a blazer / odd jacket already, not orphan.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing much today.

Lacoste shirt, NWT, SZ 40, Multicolored, Cost $5.99
Versace Jeans Couture, SZ M, Coral / Raspberry color, metal VJC buttons, Cost $7.49
Ralph Lauren Black Label, SZ 16.5, Brown, Cost $7.49
Valentino Sweater, SZ 50 EU, light / medium grey, Cost $5

Ran into a real pro thrifter today. I never find anything good in the Goodwill located near a rich / high income area and always wondered why. Well, the reason was clear, a lady and two collegues had three shopping carts heaving with clothes. They hit this store and clean it out of all the good stuff. I went to the store at 10:00am, and they must have been there an hour, arrive right when they open. If they hit the womans clothes first (chances are they split up), I may have a chance at snagging before they do :lol:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Found my first "Made in England" shoes yesterday - 2 pairs of Church's Diplomats, black and brown, both in my size:

Left behind a pair of black AE Strands (10.5) in similar condition. Assuming they're still there, I'd be happy to pick up for someone at cost ($25 or so plus shipping). PM me if that's your size and you're interested.

Emma's just returned from a brief charity shop forage with what has now turned out to be my Christmas present. A bespoke John Lester (Jermyn Street but works out of Harvie & Hudson on The Row), SB 2 btn blue pinstripe, with working cuffs, fishtail-back pants with DAKS tops etc. I'm gonna need about 1.5" disappearing off both the coat chest and the pants waist but I shall be calling on my ex-Row seamstress to sort that out for me.
I can now eBay my own Crombie blue pinstripe and the Cerruti blue pinstripe that I was originally going to keep for myself.

never heard of John Lester, but must be good if from the row... Post some pics :)

MattR

Reaction score

Ran into a real pro thrifter today. I never find anything good in the Goodwill located near a rich / high income area and always wondered why. Well, the reason was clear, a lady and two collegues had three shopping carts heaving with clothes. They hit this store and clean it out of all the good stuff. I went to the store at 10:00am, and they must have been there an hour, arrive right when they open. If they hit the womans clothes first (chances are they split up), I may have a chance at snagging before they do :lol:

start throwing some elbows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads