• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattR

Reaction score

Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen. Found these at a local junk/antique/second hand shop.

more on my tumblr

Already, this is one of my favorite blogs.

The Pendeltons you found look identical to the one I picked up about 2 weeks ago. The wool is amazing, if a bit itchy. I don't know that I've ever been so warm in a long sleeve.

otakueric

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of AE's and J&M's (If anyone knows the model names, I would love it.)
Before pics and after getting the front soles replaced and a cheap shine.
Thoughts please!

csoukoulis

Reaction score
had a good day today. got a solid gray oxxford flannel suit in 44R, NWT Canali Exclusive Collection 100% Cashmere sport coat euro 54 or 52 i dont recall at the moment, recent burberry london soft tweed sport coat 42L, altea tie, 2 italo ferretti ties which are made my santostefano, which used to make ties for brioni....so i got a couple almost brionis i guess! Also got a pair of lightly worn black alden oxfords in 12C.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pauly22

Reaction score
Hey all. First post on the forums. I've lurked quite a bit around the forums but mostly here in the brag thread. It's a bit daunting but I did indeed start from the beginning :yikes: Don't worry, I won't be asking "where in _______ can I thrift" but I may be asking some other questions that may seem boring or obvious to you so I'll apologize for those up front.

A small bit of my thrifting background: I always stuck to the 2 stores closest to me - a GW and a SA. I didn't really venture too far out of that "comfort zone" because, quite frankly, I had no idea what kinds of deals were out there on such quality goods. I thought I was the cat's ass because I picked up a couple of coats; 1 Stafford in a houndstooth pattern, and 1 Izod navy blue blazer (in all fairness I got them for $1 each in basically new condition and the fit very well so I'll stand by those
tongue.gif
- hell they were only a buck right?). Every now and then I would see the good shirts - you know the ones; the Stafford wrinkle free {my smart-assery doesn't convey well in print so I'll add a
shog[1].gif
here} - on the $1 sale days because I needed a few new shirts.

So now here I am. I've read a great deal of this thread (I skipped a bunch of pages here and there whenever someone would ask for a hot spot and get a their feelings hurt from being shot down). I fell like I've got a decent handle on what quality goods look like, feel like, and come from.

My thrifting will, for the most part, consist of overhauling my closet. I work in a sporting goods store where my dress standards have been very relaxed to say the least - I'll fitting khaki pants or shorts with a company-provided polo and running sneakers (yep, even with the pants). I'll be out to acquire, in no particular order, comfortable footwear (I'm on my feet 10-12 hours a day - the running shoes were very appealing
wink.gif
), properly fitting pants (to be quite honest I'm not too sure I'm going to be all that particular about the weight - it's a short walk to the store from the lot and it's always a bit too warm for me so lighter materials year-round would suit me fine), and a hand full of forest green shirts (I've grown to hate the color with 12 years, 45 hours a week of the same....).

Of course I' have my eye peeled for more formal wear also. The tie collection I possess is just this side of atrocious, the pants are passable there's no variety (a couple grays, an olive, and the aformentioned khakis), and the shirts fit horribly. It may sound like I'm being hard on myself but to browse these forums and see how clothes are supposed to fit I've come to realize just how poor my wardrobe fits. I'm out to fix that.

Finally, of course I'll be on the lookout for flippable items. I don't have the time or energy to hit up these places as often as I would have to to get any real steals but I'm sure I'll find my share.

This turned out pretty tl;dr so I'll move on. Here's to happy thrifting
cheers.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last edited:

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love finding vintage Ralph Lauren tailored clothing because it is ridiculous. I found a bottle green suit today, must be from the early to mid 70's. Runway width lapels, flat front pants, it is obnoxious. Probably going to have trouble getting rid of it though :foo:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
what do you guys do when you are facing a stack of ties 300+ maybe? Do you go through them all or look for patterns that is more recent?

Also what is considered a more recent pattern?

I hate digging through ties lol...

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
what do you guys do when you are facing a stack of ties 300+ maybe? Do you go through them all or look for patterns that is more recent?

One thing my local thrifts lack is a selection in ties :( so I am jealous. When I do find a large qty, hopefully they are taged and hung and not in a box of mush. If tag and hung, just grab a handfull, flip them over and look at the tags, push those out of the way and go for the group behind/next to. 300 ties should be pretty quick if they are hung. If they are in a big box of mush...good luck lol

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what do you guys do when you are facing a stack of ties 300+ maybe?  Do you go through them all or look for patterns that is more recent?

I keep it simple. Go quickly through checking patterns and pick the ones you like. Feel the quality of the silk, and if it works out, take the next step and check what brand it is. If that works out then you have the challenge of pulling all the other ties out the way. My main bugbear is GW's around here staple the tags onto the tie, I have ruined many removing it :mad:

Personally I love vintage ties.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also picked up a PRL forest green cardigan, size L. 100% lambswool and made in Hong Kong. It's a bit big for me, so it's up for grabs. If not, perfectly comfortable to wear around the house.

Sorry for the ****** pic. I couldn't get the lights to not wash it out. Just imagine it in forest green.

I'm interested. I've been looking for something like this for awhile. but the ones I find are full of holes or XXXL. PM sent.

Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen. Found these at a local junk/antique/second hand shop.

more on my tumblr

Cool finds! Those old canvas aprons are really neat - I especially like the 50's-60's era graphic on the bottom one. There's a junk shop I used to frequent that would have really cool old stuff for dirt cheap that I used to visit all the time when I still rode my motorcycle. It was down in Minneapolis, so the motorcycle was great. I wouldn't dare drive the land yacht down there with the narrow streets and parallel parking nonsense, so it's been awhile since I've been there.

had a good day today. got a solid gray oxxford flannel suit in 44R, NWT Canali Exclusive Collection 100% Cashmere sport coat euro 54 or 52 i dont recall at the moment, recent burberry london soft tweed sport coat 42L, altea tie, 2 italo ferretti ties which are made my santostefano, which used to make ties for brioni....so i got a couple almost brionis i guess! Also got a pair of lightly worn black alden oxfords in 12C.

Jeez! The stuff you manage to find makes my scores look like table scraps. :laugh:

I feel so overwhelmed, I usually just look for the recent patterns while searching for Hermes-esque patterns at the same time. There's one particular store that has tons of ties. About 10 times as much as the regular stores do. Antirabbit is a genius and just whipped through them and yanked out an amazing pleated Stefano Ricci. If it were I looking, I would have kinda glanced, flipped through a few and walked away.

There's a little untaped resource that I know of that literally has a wall of pre-owned ties. Hundreds and hundreds. Still have yet to make it through more than three pegs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads