The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grendel

grendel Senior member

I went today at lunch... Nothing spectacular but I picked up a grey 44R Harris Tweed, a size large (fits huge) Brooks Brothers sport shirt in a purple plaid that looks like a shirt jacket to me, and a pair of 28 Paul Stuart khakis that are really nicely made. None of them fit me if anyone's interested, otherwise they're going up on the 'bay

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

PM'd you on those 28 Paul Stuart's

3. MattR

MattR Senior member

Pics of the Luciano Barbera topcoat, EZ Taglio Esclusivo, and the PRL black/gold knit tie, as promised. All are up for grabs. Measurements below the fold.

Luciano Barbero topcoat. As I mentioned before, some of the stitching is undone near the vent. It's very minor, and would probably be an easy fix.

Tagged EU 52
    P2P = 24"
    Waist = 24"
    Arms = 23.75"
    BOC = 48"
    Shoulders = 24"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EZ Taglio Esclusivo. It feels like a 40R, maybe a small 42R. Nothing wrong with it, so far as I can see. It's a brown and navy houndstooth, all wool. Double vents.

P2P = 22"
    Arms = 24.75" w/ 1" from the cuff to the lining
    BOC = 30"
    Shoulders = 19.75"
    Waist = 21.75"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PRL black/gold knit tie. Made in Italy. All silk. Again, only thing wrong is one of the stitches on the PRL label is off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

4. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

That Barbera is the hotness

5. MattR

MattR Senior member

Ha, thanks. I was bummed, because I didn't notice the stitching issue at the store. I'm not sure it would have deterred me, though.

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

How would I get lock/clasp repaired? Do LV have a service for repairs, lifetime warranties etc?

My wife checked out authenticity via the item ID/Serial number.

It could be fake if the counterfeiter reproduced the ID number inside, although many counterfeits do not have a serial number. I know these counterfeiters are talented tailors and leather workers, but surely make cheap and sell cheap is their motto. The bag is pretty good quality, not Hermes quality, but not a million miles off.

I am quite excited by this find, but slightly pessamistic since I know duplicates are getting to the point only an expert could discern between them. I will have to take it into an LV store to be 100% sure, although right now, I am 80% sure it is authentic. Only doubt is if counterfeiters reproduce the same serial numbers as LV.

7. mainy

mainy Senior member

you can probably just snip the pulls out. get some tiny scissors or fingernail clippers and just cut them off, you would be surprised at how well this can work

8. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Hmm. Perhaps I'll give this a shot and see how it works, thanks. At this point, I don't think it will make it any worse.

9. MattR

MattR Senior member

It might be a little extreme if he's trying to get rid of it, but I've seen this device where it trims the pulls on wool.

This thing, I think: http://www.amazon.com/As-Seen-TV-Pr...AGX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322541707&sr=8-1

I don't have any experience with it, myself. But if the scissors don't work, it's a really nice suit.

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

No prob! They are really nice hangers. Funny thing is, all the local Goodwills do the same thing with their plastic hangers. I never see any actual hangers. I wonder where they all go..... You'd think they'd use all their resources to keep costs down. Then again, with how fancy Goodwill has been getting, I'd imagine they want a nice, uniform look with their hangers.
    If it's the real deal, I'm sure they have some sort of restoration/repair service like Hermes does with their goods.
    +1. I've done this trick on everything from ties to suits.

11. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

saw the pics, how much you want?

12. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

that LB coat would be a cheap fix. If you plan on selling it i would get it fixed, you will get more money for it than it costs to fix it.

13. MattR

MattR Senior member

I definitely will if it's not picked up through here. I had a few people PM me earlier, so I wanted to gauge interest before I did anything to it. Thanks for the advice!

14. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Do you have anything in the way of a decent navy suit in 42L/34-35 Waist? Alternatively, any 12.5D shoes? I'll take my exact measurements tomorrow (something I've taken unforgivably long to do) and let you know what I am exactly.

15. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Found a charcoal, Southwick for Paul Stewart suit today. 2 btn. Measures out to a size 46. In really good condition, PM me if you have any interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.