• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went today at lunch... Nothing spectacular but I picked up a grey 44R Harris Tweed, a size large (fits huge) Brooks Brothers sport shirt in a purple plaid that looks like a shirt jacket to me, and a pair of 28 Paul Stuart khakis that are really nicely made. None of them fit me if anyone's interested, otherwise they're going up on the 'bay

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
I went today at lunch... Nothing spectacular but I picked up a grey 44R Harris Tweed, a size large (fits huge) Brooks Brothers sport shirt in a purple plaid that looks like a shirt jacket to me, and a pair of 28 Paul Stuart khakis that are really nicely made. None of them fit me if anyone's interested, otherwise they're going up on the 'bay

PM'd you on those 28 Paul Stuart's

MattR

Reaction score
Pics of the Luciano Barbera topcoat, EZ Taglio Esclusivo, and the PRL black/gold knit tie, as promised. All are up for grabs. Measurements below the fold.

Luciano Barbero topcoat. As I mentioned before, some of the stitching is undone near the vent. It's very minor, and would probably be an easy fix.

Tagged EU 52
P2P = 24"
Waist = 24"
Arms = 23.75"
BOC = 48"
Shoulders = 24"

EZ Taglio Esclusivo. It feels like a 40R, maybe a small 42R. Nothing wrong with it, so far as I can see. It's a brown and navy houndstooth, all wool. Double vents.

P2P = 22"
Arms = 24.75" w/ 1" from the cuff to the lining
BOC = 30"
Shoulders = 19.75"
Waist = 21.75"

PRL black/gold knit tie. Made in Italy. All silk. Again, only thing wrong is one of the stitches on the PRL label is off.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Barbera is the hotness

Pics of the Luciano Barbera topcoat, EZ Taglio Esclusivo, and the PRL black/gold knit tie, as promised. All are up for grabs. Measurements below the fold.
Luciano Barbero topcoat. As I mentioned before, some of the stitching is undone near the vent. It's very minor, and would probably be an easy fix.
Tagged EU 52
P2P = 24"
Waist = 24"
Arms = 23.5"
BOC = 48"
Shoulders = 24"

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure about Dunhill. Alfred Dunhill stuff is very nice, but this is recent stuff that's sold at Saks and the label will say "Alfred Dunhill London". The regular Dunhill stuff that I've seen hasn't impressed me at all.
That LV bag looks like a briefcase/portfolio. If it's real and you can prove that it is, it can be worth a great deal, broken lock or not. Even with the broken lock, I'd say you could get $400+. I'm no expert though, as I've never found any authentic LV.

Kop. Now. (if real)

How would I get lock/clasp repaired? Do LV have a service for repairs, lifetime warranties etc?

My wife checked out authenticity via the item ID/Serial number.

It could be fake if the counterfeiter reproduced the ID number inside, although many counterfeits do not have a serial number. I know these counterfeiters are talented tailors and leather workers, but surely make cheap and sell cheap is their motto. The bag is pretty good quality, not Hermes quality, but not a million miles off.

I am quite excited by this find, but slightly pessamistic since I know duplicates are getting to the point only an expert could discern between them. I will have to take it into an LV store to be 100% sure, although right now, I am 80% sure it is authentic. Only doubt is if counterfeiters reproduce the same serial numbers as LV.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Perhaps I'll give this a shot and see how it works, thanks. At this point, I don't think it will make it any worse.

you can probably just snip the pulls out. get some tiny scissors or fingernail clippers and just cut them off, you would be surprised at how well this can work

MattR

Reaction score

you can probably just snip the pulls out. get some tiny scissors or fingernail clippers and just cut them off, you would be surprised at how well this can work

It might be a little extreme if he's trying to get rid of it, but I've seen this device where it trims the pulls on wool.

This thing, I think: http://www.amazon.com/As-Seen-TV-Pr...AGX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322541707&sr=8-1

I don't have any experience with it, myself. But if the scissors don't work, it's a really nice suit.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ahh, thanks for the info. Yeah, it's definitely way nicer than any of the suit hangers I currently have, which is really cool. I even offered to pay for it, but she just told me to keep it since they throw them away anyhow. Meanwhile, they guard the plastic hangers at this place to the death..haha. She actually thought I was asking if I could keep the plastic pants hanger for some a BB shirt I bought at the same time and said they didn't sell them until she realized I was talking about the Samuelsohn hanger. It actually makes sense though, since they have so few suits but a shitton of non-suit clothes that require the plastic hangers.
No prob! They are really nice hangers. Funny thing is, all the local Goodwills do the same thing with their plastic hangers. I never see any actual hangers. I wonder where they all go..... You'd think they'd use all their resources to keep costs down. Then again, with how fancy Goodwill has been getting, I'd imagine they want a nice, uniform look with their hangers.
How would I get lock/clasp repaired? Do LV have a service for repairs, lifetime warranties etc?
If it's the real deal, I'm sure they have some sort of restoration/repair service like Hermes does with their goods.
+1. I've done this trick on everything from ties to suits.

Last edited:

csoukoulis

Reaction score

Sure, I'll take pics, but the pulls are pretty extensive so I doubt you'll be interested...I missed them until after I'd left. Such a shame...an otherwise very nice suit.
saw the pics, how much you want?

csoukoulis

Reaction score

that LB coat would be a cheap fix. If you plan on selling it i would get it fixed, you will get more money for it than it costs to fix it.

MattR

Reaction score

that LB coat would be a cheap fix. If you plan on selling it i would get it fixed, you will get more money for it than it costs to fix it.

I definitely will if it's not picked up through here. I had a few people PM me earlier, so I wanted to gauge interest before I did anything to it. Thanks for the advice!

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have anything in the way of a decent navy suit in 42L/34-35 Waist? Alternatively, any 12.5D shoes? I'll take my exact measurements tomorrow (something I've taken unforgivably long to do) and let you know what I am exactly.

saw the pics, how much you want?

Last edited:

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a charcoal, Southwick for Paul Stewart suit today. 2 btn. Measures out to a size 46. In really good condition, PM me if you have any interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads