The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floors to go

floors to go Senior member

Definitely Vintage - 9/19/79, but it doesn't look dated at all.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

2. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Thanks!

3. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

what size is the suit?

4. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

44 r, 36 pants

5. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

The shell shoes are bradley in 12D. Should I get them?

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG] [​IMG] Any info on age, org cost, etc thanks in advance?

Picked up the shoes below to flip and was just about to post them but noticed the size 11F. Would that be SUPER WIDE "F" US? They do not look that wide and I thought EU "F" was medium? Can anyone confirm. They are Royal Tweed, Cheaney of England by Church's. Thanks

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

How incredibly cool - thanks a ton for info!! I really get a kick out of old world/old style handiwork stories like this, and agree that these types of things are really art in a sense, so I'm really grateful for the background info! It looks like "Hand loomed" (which is what mine appears to be) is considered slightly below "hand knit" in terms of quality, but as you mentioned, it's still considered significantly better than the machine knit ones, and it really is still done completely with handiwork by those "little old women" in the region: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aran_sweater#Aran_production_today.

I'll definitely be keeping it for cool factor alone. Though it fits me, it's is a beast of a sweater and I may not have tons of occasions to wear it, but it's just too cool to let go, knowing the background on it.

8. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Has someone else already earmarked them? If not, what color are they, and how much do you want for them, because I'm interested.

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, it looks like you were asking if you should get them for yourself. If this is the case, disregard my post.

9. MattR

MattR Senior member

Had my first good day in a while. I can't take any pics, yet, but I'll have some up tomorrow.

FINALLY found a 2B navy suit in my size from Polo University Club. It's a 3-roll-2. and I've been on a trad kick lately. Also grabbed a BB blue pinstripe dress shirt in my size (15.5-32, slim fit). It's a non-iron, but it doesn't have that plastic feel like every other one I've found. It actually still feels like cotton. Also grabbed a brown and blue micro dot BB tie.

I also grabbed a couple things for sale/trade:

(1) Hickey Freeman Boardroom for Nordstrom 2B navy suit - 42L, Loro Piana Super 120's wool. There is a stain on the pants that I'm waiting to come out. If it does, this suit is in great condition, except the back-right pocket button on the pants needs to be resown. If the stain doesn't come out, the suit jacket is still available and in great condition.

(2) Viyella by Gant red/white/blue plaid long sleeve - Size L, 55% wool 45% cotton, double breast pockets. Made in Hong Kong. I almost didn't pick it up, but it is so soft and looks amazing. I really wish it fit. It looks very recent, so I'm not quite sure, but it could be the stuff done under Austin Reed's ownership (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viyella). Please correct me if I'm wrong about that (pics will probably help).

10. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

This has been the weekend of unique jackets and sweaters for me. Found this super soft, super heavy "Torras" natural leather jacket. Made in Spain, both the leather and all of the brass parts are in excellent condition, and it still even has the detachable hood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. RebelWithACause

RebelWithACause Senior member

12. codhead

codhead Senior member

Don't hold your breath waiting for pics of the HFM jacket. On closer inspection, the moths have been at that too and the dog is currently lying on it.

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ No big loss. HSM is all over the place (on this side of the pond) and just low to mid tier stuff. I see at least 3-4 HSM pieces at each store I go to.

Don't worry though - you're better off with your mass quantities of Savile Row bespoke showing up in thrifts than us with our seemingly endless supply of Hart Schaffner & Marx. :laugh:

14. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

other than some brooks brothers/Hickey Freeman/ H Freeman and all Oxxford Stuff, I don't think there are any good brands out of the USA, suit wise. (not counting the $5000+ bespoke tailors in NYC of course)

What is Balmain? is it Pierre Balmain? I'm pretty sure I've passed these at thrifts before.

So much damn brands out there, learning something new everyday, although I've already got a pretty compiled list in my mind...

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

There is a ton of amazing US-made SW&D stuff.

There are still a small handful of labels that do RTW tailored stuff in the USA that is really nice. Freeman's Sporting Club and Thom Browne have some amazing pieces. But you're right for the most part, not much decent classic men's clothing is made here anymore. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.