• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattR

Reaction score
Finding everything that ISN'T my size, lately

Here are some things I thought others might have an interest in:

Older, but great condition Nordstrom navy blue 2B wool suit - 42S
Older, but great condition Nordstrom charcoal w/ blue large checks 2B wool suit - 42S
Perfect condition JPress olive gun club check 3-roll-2 (no tags, but it looks recent). It was very large on me. Somewhere between a 48L and 50L, I'd estimate).

::EDIT: Forgot there was also a recent thick cotton JCrew Khaki coat, size M, with length ending around the knees. I'm usually a medium, and it fit larger on me all around. VERY nice condition, even if you aren't into JCrew.

::EDIT Part Deux:: Also saw a pair of 14E AE "snuff suede" (read: brown) player's shoes (http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF9722_1_40000000001_-1). They were in really good condition, except for a small discoloration in the suede near the base of the laces of the left shoe (no more than inch width wise). I would have picked them up to flip, if not for that. Otherwise, I didn't see anything setting off alarm bells.

Last edited:

Stewie

Reaction score
And if that sucker says quadraphonic on it, jump on that baby...quick and easy money

D.

Ugh...damn quote didnt work...but I was obviously talking about the stereos....not to confuse anyone.

Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finding everything that ISN'T my size, lately
Here are some things I thought others might have an interest in:
Older, but great condition Nordstrom navy blue 2B wool suit - 42S
Older, but great condition Nordstrom charcoal w/ blue large checks 2B wool suit - 42S
Perfect condition JPress olive gun club check 3-roll-2 (no tags, but it looks recent). It was very large on me. Somewhere between a 48L and 50L, I'd estimate).
::EDIT: Forgot there was also a recent thick cotton JCrew Khaki coat, size M, with length ending around the knees. I'm usually a medium, and it fit larger on me all around. VERY nice condition, even if you aren't into JCrew.
::EDIT Part Deux:: Also saw a pair of 14E AE "snuff suede" (read: brown) player's shoes (http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF9722_1_40000000001_-1). They were in really good condition, except for a small discoloration in the suede near the base of the laces of the left shoe (no more than inch width wise). I would have picked them up to flip, if not for that. Otherwise, I didn't see anything setting off alarm bells.

I feel your pain on finding everything that ISN'T your size. I seem to be having the same luck. Probably found the largest quantity of shirts I ever found at a single store but it all was in sizes 46 or 18 or 18 1/2 with 38 sleeves. Hickey Freeman, H. Freeman and Sons, Zegna, Gittman Bros., Eton, and BB.

...Left it all. Did pick up a great vintage BB sweater, Made in England, a pretty nice no name raincoat, and a tie for Nordstrom.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel your pain on finding everything that ISN'T your size. I seem to be having the same luck. Probably found the largest quantity of shirts I ever found at a single store but it all was in sizes 46 or 18 or 18 1/2 with 38 sleeves. Hickey Freeman, H. Freeman and Sons, Zegna, Gittman Bros., Eton, and BB.

...Left it all. Did pick up a great vintage BB sweater, Made in England, a pretty nice no name raincoat, and a tie for Nordstrom.

Quit your #%&%&*...I'm a 46 and I rarely find anything my size. The thing is if you find the good stuff in a larger size, there are a few of use bigger guys that pick up the smaller stuff to swap. Plus even if you don't swap it here...odd ball sizes sell on eBay.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quit your #%&%&*...I'm a 46 and I rarely find anything my size. The thing is if you find the good stuff in a larger size, there are a few of use bigger guys that pick up the smaller stuff to swap. Plus even if you don't swap it here...odd ball sizes sell on eBay.

I here you, I always look out for big guys, but not that big. 18 1/2 38? Can a smaller size guy get some love too? I just don't want a closet full of 2XT's with nowhere to go with it. Ebay is a last resort for me.

MattR

Reaction score

I'd love to be able to pick some of this stuff up to trade, etc, but my wallet can't afford the off-chance no one will take it. I'll have to take a look at the trading thread.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'd love some help with authentication. A poster asked for more detailed pics of the tie, and form them thinks that this might not be authentic, which is concerning to me, as I don't believe i've ever picked up anything else inauthentic. I trust the big wigs here the most, plus I originally posted it earlier in this thread. It's a Ferragamo tie, pics below.

Surface/texture with flash:

Texture/surface without flash:

The poster's concern appears to be that mine is lacking the "Salvatore Ferragamo" written on a diagonal strip, which he said is on every Ferragamo tie he owns, both woven and printed. Here's an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Salvatore-F...S_Mens_Ties&hash=item3a6ce78e79#ht_500wt_1242. It's the part where the name is written in yellow diagonally.

So, anyone got any feedback? Nothing stood out to me about it at the time I purchased it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Stewie

Reaction score
Androfan,

It's real....possibly more dated than the ones he has, but I have couple that have that same build..maybe not that design or color tho!

D.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andro...looks legit. I've seen some beat but SF ties that don't have the diagonal logo. I'd check the material tag to make sure it doesn't say $40

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Found a MINT 38r full length dark gray herringbone wool topcoat if anyone is interested would sell pretty cheap or trade for something cool like a nice tie or something. Bought it for a friend a while back, but it was a touch too small for him and it's been sitting in my closer for months. Just want it gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics