Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Glad to hear it worked out somewhat well in the end.

3. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

The one consignment store here Snooty Fox, if they sold something like that they would make it know it was not authentic. The fact they admitted they knew they sold a fake sucks IMO.

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Great find!

5. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

I see so many shitty HK tailor stuff it is crazy.. why can't I ever find anything by the big 3 or 4.

6. mainy

mainy Senior member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

7. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

8. mainy

mainy Senior member

I think I'm going to do a comprehensive series of youtube videos breaking down how to thrift and actually find good stuff (not brand specific, just general strategy and some things I've picked up along the way, how to avoid picking up damaged items, negotiating better prices, blah blah, maybe include some of my better finds). Does this sound like a good idea? I'm not sure if anybody would actually watch it, but I've been working on some video production stuff with a friend so it could be fun to do, maybe give a little something back because I've picked up tons of info on the internet thanks to the kindness of strangers.

9. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

+1. I think I've come a long way in the past few months on my own, just through trial and error, paying attention here, and by documenting EVERYTHING I do so I can see exactly where I'm making mistakes, but I'd still love to see something like this.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Let me know if you are selling/trading.

11. adaminaustin

adaminaustin Member

Hey fellas.
    Been lurking for some time, mainly reading the thrift threads here and at Ask Andy.
    Five or Six years ago, I was semi-active here and on Superfuture in the streetwear side of things. Time's gone by, got married, had a kid, can't afford to blow $$ on stupid shit anymore. I still love clothes and shopping at thrift stores has been my outlet.

I've sold a few bits of menswear here and there. My wife's the real money maker of this operation, specializing in 30s-50s dresses. Seems women tend to take better care of their clothes, while men wear them out. Our current finances don't permit me to buy tons of stuff in hopes of making 2x the original investment - we're really looking for 500-1000% of original investment. I hope that crass capitalism doesn't turn you off. My day job doesn't require (even permit) me to wear suits, so anything I find for myself is really superfluous. Thrifting is a real source of extra income for us, something we can't depend on but really appreciate.

Anyway, to play along, I've found a couple neat pieces in the last few weeks - a sweet J.Press 3/2 SC (tag says 43?), a pair of Alden captoe bluchers (just a hair too small for me at 7.5D), and a couple nice YSL suits from the 1970s which I am in the process of getting tailored - I'm a smaller guy (36, 30) and finding stuff that fits nicely at thrift stores is a real challenge. I like reading about the stuff you guys find. Keeps me motivated to dig and get out there!

12. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

13. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.